A question about Single Channel Audio Input Isolators for subwoofers

Unregistered guest
I'm thinking about buying one of these:

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/ci1rr.html

I'm doing this because I'm sure I have a ground loop problem with my subwoofer (newest component) and receiver. I posted a lengthy post about this on MetaFilter (Question 2 - http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/23123).

Can anyone confirm that buying this product is a definitive way of solving my system's ground loop issue. I am getting very frustrated with the wave of mixed advice on this topic. Using an isolator is the safest option though isn't it? Please be kind to a novice.

Also, feel free to point out the most helpful answers on the MetaFilter link. I can't seem to confirm either way what's good and what's not. Many thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 1117
Sjvlla79

It's possible, though what type of noise is it, is it a (humming sound) or a (buzzing sound).

As I have had the same problems too, and solved it by connecting a short piece of wire to one of the ground connectors on the Marantz 1050 amplifiers, then I have taking the other end of and placed it on some other parts of the audio equipment and BINGO like magic it disappeared.

Ashley

sjvilla79
Unregistered guest
I'm not sure if my Denon 1804 has ground connectors. I was more so looking for an out of the box solution. I don't have time for trail and error at the moment for example. Thanks for you feedback though.

Also, it's a hum. I know it's the sub that is causing it and it resonates through my front left, right, and centre channel speakers. This is not to be confused with the normal subwoofer 'idle' buzz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1119
Sjvlla79

Time for trail and error, is where you will learn a quick solution, place a short piece of wire to one of the screws on the AVR then, and place it onto the screws on the back-plate on the sub bass, and if t doest clear up.

Then buy the out of the box, solution I'm only trying to help....

Ashley

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5351

Or, try a two pin ground lift plug for about $0.49 at Home depot.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1040
Until there is a lighting storm.

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 1041
*lightning

Gold Member

Post Number: 1127
You know what I like about you?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5357

Even when the two pin cheater is used, if the sub is plugged in through a surge protector, there is still protection. I wouldn't recommend this for a permanent fix. But, if time to experiment isn't available, this will do the job 95% of the time. If you want to do it correctly, you will take the time to experiment. Anything you choose as a quick fix is unlikely to be the correct fix. Such is life.

sjvilla79
Unregistered guest
Thanks Ashley and Jan for the feedback. This forum is heaps better than Audio Asylum.

> ... if the sub is plugged in through a surge protector...

I have all my components plugged into a 5 socket board which in turn connects to a Clipsal safety box. I think this protects against surges. I like the idea of buying an isolator though. What are your thoughts on these items?

Ashley, I know you're trying to help. I appreciate all the feedback you care to give. The dealers I've rung on the phone asking for help are hopeless. I'm really keen to get some straight answers.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5361

It sounds like you've talked yourself into buying an isolator.

sjvilla79
Unregistered guest
Jan, am I being unreasonable in thinking an isolator is the only way? The last thing I'd want to do is buy one and find out that it didn't work. I've taken a look at this thing. It's within my budget. Do you think it'd do the trick?

sjvilla79
Unregistered guest
I solved the issue.

Well, that was fast. I found out where/what the fault was. It was my antenna connection at the wall causing the issue! It would appear I need to isolate the antenna instead. Either that or I could just leave it. I mean my system isn't complex and it's not hard to pull the plug on the antenna whenever I want to use it.

Yeah, I'll casually look at perhaps getting an antenna isolator. I might even go with some of the methods discussed here (I'll probably want to watch television soon enough for example).

Things are sweet now though. Don't you just love happy endings? Whoop!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us