Is BOSE really that bad?

Joycey
Unregistered guest
I am looking to spend approx £300 on a new mini system. I hae read loads of review of the BOSE wave CD/radio and they seem to pretty varied. However, the major concerns seem to be the price for the quality! BOSE are currently offering an old model reconditioned unit for £299 sterling which is 2/3s the original price. Is this now a good buy or are there better options out there? If so what? Denon maybe?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3588
It would be best to shop around and look for features that you want and would actually use. The Bose wave radio/cd is not a bad unit if you compare it to systems that are within the same class, you will be able to make a decision whether it is worth the money or not.

I have that unit and is relegated to an end table in my bedroom. It is simple and easy to use and serves its purpose. A very expensive alarm clock!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1692
The Wave system would be fine...if it cost maybe 1/2 or 1/3 2 what it does. You can get equal quality for a lot less, and far better quality for the same price. There are only two things that Bose products generally have going for them: ease of use and compact form factor. Value is definitely NOT one of their virtues.

I'd look at something like this, with a hybrid digital amp:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001CQGWI

Denon and Onkyo also make decent minisystems in the same price range as Bose, that's where I'd look first.

Username: Gamerdude

Kitchener, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 8
Bose is desent i thinking about getting the bose chap3 for the comp but the little 2 inch satelights are real shamful they sound small and the whole system max's ouit around 35watts

Gold Member

Post Number: 7608
What do you mean it maxes out at 35 watts? How do you know? Have you done a bench test?

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Kitchener, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 15
i put them up to my logitech 32watts and sound pretty much the same and if you read some of the reviews out there they will say the same there not real loud speakers but there decent i'd might gte them if they had 2way satelights

Silver Member
Username: Hannjeff

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 117
The watts on speakers dont really mean much. Speakers wont top off at a wattage, they will draw all the power then need (and can get). Amps however have a max output.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8519
Speakers don't have watts.

Bronze Member
Username: Phenixdragon

Post Number: 11
Technically true but you don't want to push too many watts through on what the speaker could handle or it will blow. But your receive is what is pushs the watts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us