JBLab 726S vs Klipsch La Scala

SkieS
Unregistered guest
At my local shop, hes got a pair of 726S's on sale for $1000... I've never heard them and don't have any time to right now, but I can get a pair of La Scalas for $1500... I'm looking for a somewhat mobile speaker that may have to take some scratches/chips... That's why my original plan was to go with the la scalas. They get really loud and sound pretty good, but those 726S's seem like an amazing speaker from what I've heard... Any opinions welcome

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 215
Out of curiousity, how mobile can the La Scala's be given their size?

As for the 726S vrs La Scala that all depends on what you plan to do with them I suppose.

SkieS
Unregistered guest
Wheels on the back :-)

Do the 726S's get loud? Or are they just really accurate.. What about SPL.. Would the La Scala put out more bass than the 726?

Silver Member

Post Number: 216
"Do the 726S's get loud?"

Yes, but to go as loud as the La Scala's they will need a whole heck of a lot more power to drive them.

"Or are they just really accurate.. "

Yes; although I doubt they could touch the dynamics and power the La Scala are capable of without fairly costly amplification.

"Would the La Scala put out more bass than the 726?"

Probably not.

SkieS
Unregistered guest
I just caught my typo... :S

"JMLab 726S vs Klipsch La Scala"

^ New Title Of Thread ^

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
Minor detail. Most people who know of the speaker would know what you were referring to.

SkieS
Unregistered guest
I'm gonna be pushing 370 watts to each speaker... Interesting, more bass with the 726s..

SkieS
Unregistered guest
Now price comes into play... Given my situation, which would be more logical to go for? the $1000 Chorus 726S's, or the $1500 La Scalas... The 726's retail for around $1850 for a pair, while the la scalas are $3700 each, so $7400 for a pair... Now that I read what I just wrote, it seems like a stupid question.

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
The only way to find out is to listen :-)

I find I like the dynamics of Klipsch a lot, but that is just my opinion. You might look to their Reference line also. The RF-7 is a solid speaker that you could probably obtain for ~1500 a pair as well. More bass capability than either aforementioned speaker too if that is what you are after combined with the same efficiency of the La Scalas.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1314
Why do you need it mobile? Is this for a DJ service?

The La Scala are not $7400 a pair new, but a bit below $5000.

I've never heard the JMLab 726S, but the specs say:

Frequency response (+/- 3dB): 45Hz-28kHz
Sensitivity (2,8V/1 m): 91.5dB

The La Scala are:

53Hz-17kHz± 3dB (45Hz at -5dB)
104dB @ 1watt/1meter

So the JMLab will have a bit stronger deep bass at the same overall volume, but they won't come close to the total SPL of the La Scala (if you're looking to DJ with them).

What is your purpose with them? I have owned a pair for 25 years, pictured in my current HT here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/psg_ht_rightside.jpg

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1315
More bass capability than either aforementioned speaker too if that is what you are after combined with the same efficiency of the La Scalas

Well, they are 2 dB shy of the La Scala in sensitivity, but that's close! They do have the bass extension of the Klipschorn...

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
Thats a worthy trade in my book. I don't suppose you could offer a comparison between the reference line and the Heritage line?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1317
I'm gonna be pushing 370 watts to each speaker.

Be careful, while the La Scala are rated for peaks of 400W, the JMLab are rated for peaks of 150W according to:
http://www.focal-fr.com/home/en/chorusS/c726s.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 221
In terms of sheer volume capability, the JMLab will never come close to the Klipsch. If we are talking in a living room environment, the JMLab would suffice though. Again, we need to know the usage here Skies.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1318
DA, I'd love to, but can't. The highest in the Reference line available here is the RF-25 ! And I only heard the RF-10 in the store and they sounded pretty bad, the way they were setup in a large room. Very bright.

I can only speak for the La Scala. Add a sub to cover the low end and the sound opens up tremendously. They sound almost like Klipschorns (perhaps height makes the difference in perception). Place a pair wide apart, like 18', and aim them directly at you at a 45 degree angle, and they image like you wouldn't believe. You'll swear a center speaker is working when the lead vocals are playing, and the strings will appear to be plucked right in front of you. The speakers completely disappear from the room.

Notice I didn't emphasize how loud they get. They are much better than just loud. But they will hit 115 to 120 dB in your room without breaking a sweat.

A piano sounds real, voices sound real. The bass is tight and devoid of harmonic distorsion, so it isn't boomy. You can hear detail like the rubbing of fingers against strings.

Good speaker.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1319
DA, we were cross-posting...

I agree. The JMLab will be loud enough in a living room, but the La Scala have 12.5 dB on them for a larger room. I'm content below 1W per channel most of the time.

I was wondering because he mentionned "mobile" and "370W per channel". Sounds like a large room application to me, and the JMLab wouldn't cut it. I originally bought the La Scala to DJ in my spare time as a teenager, and did maybe over a dozen gigs. They even played in a gymnasium!

The $1500 price seems a little high unless they aren't too old or are in prime condition (and then it's a shame to bang them around). But a local purchase is worth something since it could cost a bit to pick them up from far away.

What year are they and in what condition?

SkieS
Unregistered guest
Sorry I had to go eat, thanks for everything mentioned though, I can see myself ending up with a klipsch reference HT in the future, thats if I don't send back the Streem HT-808 when I order it. Anyways, back to the topic :

Damn Peter, I'm jealous of your setup.

As for the condition of these speakers, they look like they are in great condition, well taken care of. I'm not too sure of the year, but heres the ebay page...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5799046065&sspagename=ADME :L:RTQ:CA:1
Yes they will be shipped to me the shipping is gonna kill me

The La Scalas are gonna be going from homes(music only, no HT), to outdoors, to lakes, maybe even to gymnasiums... They are going to be used for partying, and just casual listening. I'm only 15 so you can bet I'll be doin a lot of partying.

Yes, I am kind of scared using that kind of power on any quality speaker, I've heard of drunk guys wanting the music louder, and just turning the volume all the way up... But I'm gonna have to find a way to prevent that.

SkieS
Unregistered guest
I called the nearest authorized Klipsch dealer, and they want $7400 for a pair of La Scalas :-( All these prices I've named are in CAD by the way...

SkieS
Unregistered guest
I called the nearest authorized Klipsch dealer, and they want $7400 for a pair of La Scalas :-( All these prices I've named are in CAD by the way...

Silver Member

Post Number: 224
If they turn the volume all the way up on the La Scalas they'll go deaf pretty quickly...

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1321
Ah! Canadian!

Yup. C$7400 for La Scala's and C$15000 for Klipschorns.

Those look okay, so you've already won the auction?

If not, and can purchase them, ask what the serial numbers are and I'll tell you the year (and perhaps what is in them).

15 years old... I was about 17 when I got my pair and still own them. A Klipsch Heritage-based HT setup is possible, you know! I wouldn't trade mine! (Klipschorn mains, La Scala surrounds, Heresy center, Hsu STF-3 sub)

If you haven't bought them, how much would shipping cost you? You know you'll have to pay taxes at the border, right? It all sounds expensive. You could hang out on the Klipsch forum for a bit and wait for a cheaper pair to show up close to you. They generally sell for half the price of Klipschorns, from US$900 to US$15000 so you seem to be paying top dollar for them.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1322
Out of curiousity, how mobile can the La Scala's be given their size?

Two people can carry one easily since there's a lot of hold on them. They weight about 125 lbs each. You need a trailer (how I used to move 'em) or a minivan (how I move 'em now when I absolutely have to).

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1323
Those look okay, so you've already won the auction?

Now I notice the 0 bids...

I think you should hold out for cheaper ones. I'd get a friend (or your dad) to drive over with you and pick 'em up when I found them instead of shipping them. You can save a few bucks at the border if you say you said $400 for those 25 year-old clunkers. I was completely honest about my cross-border Klipschorn purchase and it cost me a lot with 15% taxes!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1324
Damn Peter, I'm jealous of your setup.

Thanks! :-)

I'm extremely happy with it. The next upgrade goes to a CD player (or a DVD player that can handle the job, like Art suggested).

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1325
Wow... 5 posts in a row from me. Can you tell I'm excited!

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
Indeed. You have yourself a new friend!

SkieS
Unregistered guest
The only way he wants to ship is via air freight... Still taxes on that? I live about 10 minutes away from an aiport so thats alright... Hes gone until the 29th so I can't get any more information on them. Yeah, no one bid or bought them, so I contacted him after the auction and he said he still has them and will give them up for 1300USD... I guess tahts more towards the 1600 mark.. But from what I could see they were in great condition, I can ask for more pictures when he gets back. I was gonna bid on some klipschorns, but was at work :-(... The sold for $999 USD! In great condition too.
As for the Klipsch Heritage HT... I've read of someone having 4 Klipschorns, 2 Cornwalls and a La Scala for a system... I like that idea :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
Skies: Klipschorns have to be tightly sealed in a corner to be effective. Not good DJ material.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1327
They are in the US, so you will pay GST + provincial tax on the declared value of the shipment + shipping when they clear customs!

They seem to have a few nicks on them, so they are not mint. I don't think you should be paying US$1300 for them, but that's your call to make.

Klipschorns for $999 huh? I paid over twice that much! Maybe I wasn't patient enough as well... ;-)

My room isn't big enough for 4 Klipschorns nor a 7.1 setup, but that does sound good! Cornwalls as back speakers... What would Paul say?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1328
Also, you don't want to be moving Klipschorns around. They are heavy (175 lbs or so, although detact in two parts), the bass bin has little to grab onto, and you don't want to scratch the nice wood veneer on the front facade.

SkieS
Unregistered guest
It's possible to just sand down the speaker, re-paint it and maybe put some sort of finish on it? I have to do a lot of sanding on something else anyways, so I was just wondering... I lost an auction for a pair of la scalas the other day, cosmetically ugly, but only used for a couple years. That was my original plan, to buy an ugly speaker with little use, and just re-finish them... I'm gonna register hang on a minute :-)

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1329
$1300 is definately too much. I've just looked at completed auctions for La Scala on ebay and found 4 of them. Prices were US$660, US$1,047, US$735 and US$815. Some of them had a nice wood grain finish with few flaws.

I saw the $999 Khorns! They were black, which explains the lesser value (still it seems a bit low). There's a guy outside of Ottawa selling a black pair, so there would have been no taxes. He came over the Klipsch forum to ask us how much they were worth. Want me to dig up his coordinates for you?

The Klipschorns that sold for $1,383.39 were a steal.

From another forum, these are very nice, C$1385, and within country. Sure they are across the country from you, but such deals exist!

http://www.quebecaudio.com/cgi-bin/occase/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and _display_db_button=on&db_id=5518&query=retrieval

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1330
The La Scala's can be sanded for repainting, but a veneer job is very difficult.

Pass on that pair and another will come along in time...

Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 1
Alright, I'll take your word for it.
I take it that guy doesnt understand a word of english... Is that like an auction or am I supposed to email that guy if I want them? Black is the color I'm looking for, so those k-horns wouldve worked, given I had the right room and didnt plan on moving them :-)

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1333
He might understand a word of English. It's just that it's a french language web site in Quebec. You can email him in english and see if he answers. Of course shipping La Scala's across the country might be tricky to organize and he might not be interested in crating them up for you.

You could hold out for Klipschorns or another closer pair of La Scala. It can take a week or a year to stumble on a pair close to you. They probably won't be black, but a (nice) wood finish.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1337
I wrote:

There's a guy outside of Ottawa selling a black pair, so there would have been no taxes. He came over the Klipsch forum to ask us how much they were worth. Want me to dig up his coordinates for you?

The thread is here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=69704

Perhaps you should try for those!

Post Number: 2
Would I lose a lot of bass if the Khorns arent in corner? maybe in the middle of a room, or on the flat of a wall? What about compared to La Scalas?
By the way thanks for everything Peter! :-)

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1338
The KHorns need a corner to finish the horn. Some people make false corners about 4'x4' in size and that works. I'm using one real corner. The second speaker is along the wall and I use a thick IKEA pine table top on its side, pushed up against the KHorn, to make the second corner. I plan to build a small wall which I'll fasten to the speaker. Might give me more bass and it will look nicer.

You can see the table top in this picture:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/psg_Klipschorn_Elisabeth.jpg

La Scala's don't need corners but exhibit better bass when placed near them. They don't need to be sealed into them.

Post Number: 3
Alright... What about just taking 2 pieces of MDF or something and screwing them to the back to make a corner thats held on to the speaker?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1340
Yeah, something like that. Usually peopl build little walls with a certain thickness to avoid vibrations. There are many examples in the Klipsch forum archives.

You should join that forum, hang out, learn stuff, and be the first to reply about an availability in your area! http://forums.klipsch.com

Post Number: 4
Alright, will do. Thanks for everything Peter! So I should try for some Khorns instead of La Scalas? Or just whatever pops up at a good price? I'm watching a couple La Scalas on ebay that are around $700 USD or less for now... Let them go?

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
See what is sad about this is that a 15 year old is going to have a stereo that kills mine...and that of more than a few other people on here too. Ohh well, good luck with your purchase. Maybe you can invite me over sometime!

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1341
La Scala's for US$700 is much better. Remember that you'll pay taxes on that at the border.

A pair of La Scala and a sub crossed over at 60 or 80 Hz (I use a Hsu STF-3) gets you 90% of the way to Klipschorns. Add a pair of Klipschorns later in life and you'll very close to a sweet HT setup (only lacking a center channel). So no, I wouldn't discourage you from getting a pair.

You have heard them before, right?

Post Number: 5
Haven't heard Klipschorns, only La Scalas.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1342
That's good. You know what you will be getting then. The Klipschorns are better, but only if you have a large room and can give them 18' of space or more, and preferably corners (or else you need false corners). AS I said, La Scala's and a sub are close.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us