Upgrading NAD t763

Username: Big_red

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 8
Currently have a t753 and bumping it up to a 763 (with the support of a great retailer). I also have KEF Q3 front channels and am thinking of adding an HSU STF-2 sub. Does this seem like a reasonable combo? Will the speaker/sub combo be okay for the t763 or would I be better off with upgrading the speakers and / or sub while I'm at it?

One last question - any idea when the next generation NAD are coming out?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3527
Sounds like a reasonable combo.
What is wrong with your cureent KEFs? I think those speakers are awesome..well, at least to my ears.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1636
depending on the size of your room and how much bass you like, I'd first consider keeping the 753 and getting a higher model Hsu.

Also keep in mind that in the fall or winter Hsu is supposed to come out with a High Output series that is supposedly going to revolutionize subwoofers by allowing both high SPL and super low extension, at which point a lot of those higher model Hsus will probably hit Audiogon at very attractive prices.

Also what % is your music vs. HT usage and which are you trying to upgrade with this NAD upgrade?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1326
Hsu is supposed to come out with a High Output series that is supposedly going to revolutionize subwoofers by allowing both high SPL and super low extension

Really? But I can't afford a new sub!

;-)

Nah... I'm happy with my STF-3...

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1641
well I'm hoping to be one of those po folk who scoop up the used Hsus that will be flooding the market, I'm sure the new ones will be an extra couple of hundred each.

You can read more at the Hsu forum. The Hsu staff are pretty tight lipped about it though.

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 9
thanks everyone for the feedback.

Berny - the Q3s I nice speakers but lack bass - from auditions when paired up with a nice sub they are fantastic - with that said, I was concernd that a $600 (CDN) pair of speakers when paired with a $2k reciever may not do the receiver justice.

On this system I listen to 60-70% music (I have another NAD system that I use exclusively for music - though that may change as I build up this system)

With a new sub coming out it certainly may be worth waiting a few months (either to upgrade to the STF-3 at discounted rates or investigate the new series).

Is the STF-3 really that much better than the 2?

Also, anyone heard of a new series coming out fron NAD - the 7x3 sereies has been around for at least a couple of years now - how frequently do they come out with new models?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3554
Ah yes, the lack of bass...but they do sound great and well detailed. A nice subwoofer would do it justice.
That is what I would do first, get a sub and determine if it warrants a new set of mains.

As far as which is better actually comes down to your preferences. I like the STF 2 as the bass is nice and tight. The STF3 can really push a lot of air and will rumble you to the core. It is not a matter of better, but of preference. You can't go wrong with either choice.

Silver Member
Username: Diablo

Fylde Coast, England

Post Number: 224
Also, anyone heard of a new series coming out fron NAD - the 7x3 sereies has been around for at least a couple of years now

They have been working on the new 'Master' series of products.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/153938.html

They are a fairly small company, so that may delay the appearance of a T7x4 series.
Anyone know different?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1349
STF-2 vs STF-3? I'd bet it depends mostly on room size.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2143
The way I see it, you can never buy 'too much' sub. Even in an average sized room, the better sub will always outperform a lesser sub.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1555
The better sub isn't always the bigger sub. In fact it often isn't.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 786
I agree Art,a room can only support so much bass,Big Red why not just get the Q sub its pretty good for movies and quite talented for music,to me for atleast music the Q3s are pretty impressive in the bass in a small to medium sized room.Have you played with different placements in the room?How big is your room? Do you use a lot of room treatments?What is your all stereo setup Big Red?

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 10
tawaun, the room is quite long - about 25 feet, and probably 10-12 feet wide. Half the room is for tv, receiver, speakers etc, with a couch and the other half is for the kids to play. So unless trucks and Lego are considered room treatment then we haven't experimented with that.

I've thought of alternative placements, but truthfully can't imagine how else we can set things up - a large entertainment unit on the east wall with the tv, receiver and DVD - front speakers on either side + on west wall couch with two, in ceiling speakers for the rear channels. there is no north wall as that is the rest of the room and south wall are cupboards.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 505

quote:

the room is quite long - about 25 feet, and probably 10-12 feet wide. Half the room is for tv, receiver, speakers etc, with a couch and the other half is for the kids to play.

Big Red, your setup sounds a bit similar to my basement room (26' x 16' with about a 16' x 14' listening area with low ceiling - 7' ). I went with a Hsu SFT2, and its adequate for my needs.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us