Acoustimass 3 Series IV Speaker..need help

Username: Sbshilag

Post Number: 1
I have a Acoustimass 3 Series IV Bose Speaker. Ok not the greatest one but I would like to make use of this for my living room. I just bought a 50" TH-50PHD7UY Plasma. I have a Sherwood RD-6108 receiver. Is it possible to extend my current audio system (will buy 2 more speakers) to get a good home theatre affect. If so which one would you guys suggest. Thank you for your help.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 256
Sri normally I could recommend that you put those speakers in the back and add three good front speakers and you will be in good shape, but those particular speakers are very weak to match up with almost anything else worth mentioning. Besides that small passive subwoofer will be hard pressed for good HT system. Here are my two recommendation:

1) find another 3 Accoustimass speakers on ebay etc and match the front L&R with the passive sub. If your room is not too big this may actually work

2) Scrap the whole thing and look to some decent Ascend, Axiom or M&K bookshelves and a good HSU sub to go with them.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Stof.

I am really happy with the speakers using them in the back but as you said the woofer is really passive. I thought of getting some good speakers for the front and a subwoofer. If I buy another Accoustimass speakers would I be needing a good center speaker? How do you think the two subwoofers will perform? My amp takes five speakers. Which center speake would you suggest? Do u think I should get 5 acoustimass and a center speaker? I want the whole sytem to be in par with my video :-). Not warm but bright.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 439
Just a curiosity question - can you mix in other speakers with the acoustimass system? I think some were designed as stand alone units that had odd connections and didn't accept anything else in the mix. I don't know if these were the speaker systems or their receiver/dvd player unit.

I would advise replacing the bass module (not a true subwoofer) and front three speakers. It shouldn't be hard to improve on the sound quality (no offense).

Post Number: 3
My receiver can take 5 speakers and a subwooofer. My acoustimass uses only two speaker connections. I can use the rest of them(3+1). Speakers are really good. I like them.

I was thinking of this. With your experience pl. comment on the idea.

I will use my current 2 speakers as rear speakers. There is a subwoofer with them which sucks but I will hook it as it is a part of the system.

Buy a Bose 201 Series V surround speakers as front and a Bose VCS-10 Center Speaker.

(301 Series is not worth the price)

Now there is one thing missing the Bass. As suggested by Stof I want to get HSU RESEARCH VTF-2 MK2. Based on the reviews this is a Beast.

I really don't want a very loud system but which can really give me a theatre effect.

The whole thing will be around 800$. I read reviews that Bose works well with a Bose system. Will this system work? Will this system be effective. Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
Sri you can do with the STF-2 or STF-3 as well. VTF is great too, but I would spend the extra money getting better speakers.

Also look at the size of your room. If your back speakers are going to be more than 40 feet of wires away from the receiver, the thin cable that fits those Bose are really going to struggle.

Let me suggest something. If you have access to a hi-fi store that carries M&K K5 speakers, buy a pair and test them at home agains the Bose. You can buy 5 of those for about $600. Here is what they look like:

http://www.abtelectronics.com/product/5243.html

If you still like the Bose better you can return these and go with your plan. Seems like you are set on the HSU subs so you may want to get that anyway.

Post Number: 4
M&K K5 speakers have 8 ohms impedance. My receiver can take only 6 ohms. It can produce 100 W per channel though. My room won't be 40 feet big may be 30. I don't want my room to filled with huge speakers..neither I want to spend a lot(so don't want to scrap my current speakers). Moreover I don't think anyone uses the speakers full petential most of the time. I do not have much knowledge of acoustics but how does a typical setup for a 30X35 room looks like? Why did you say that rear speakers need not be that powerful? What is the difference between STF-2/3 and VTF-2/3. What are the deciding factors for these. I will research about this. If the sound is good on bose I will go with STF 2.

BTW. The acoustimass speakers are not hooked directly to receiver. The subwoofer is hooked to receiver and speakers are hooked to subwoofer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
My receiver can take only 6 ohms

Ahh didn't see that in the initial specs. Your rear speakers are generally used as mood setters (helicopters and spaceships flying by, special effects etc.) On a lot of movies you don't get much out of them at all. Your fronts are still most important.

The difference between the STF and the VTF is the variable tuning the VTF offers. You are paying extra money to be able to set the high/low bass. Take a look at www.hsuresearch.com

Post Number: 5
The difference between the STF and the VTF is the variable tuning the VTF offers.

Can u elaborate on that. In simple english :-).

So what do u think about my approach?

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
Check into that website.

Post Number: 6
I just checked the manual for my receiver. The channel impedance of 6ohms is not maximum but minimum. So I can hook 8ohms speakers. Also I decided to sell my Bose speakers.

I would like to know your views on Ventriloquist VT-12 Six Channel System + STF2

I still didn't understand the difference between VTF and STF.

My room size is 25X20. Is it a good buy? Will it work with my receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3528
Sri,
I think that the Ventriloquist will work well with your receiver. However, I have heard them and although HSU makes one of the better subs that I have heard, their Ventriloquist line seems a little restrained. It seems to have a hard time with the higher frequencies and not very clear. It is not one of their better efforts, I think they were in a bit of a hurry to bring out a home theater speaker to the market.
But to be sure, you have to listen to them yourself as we all tend to have differing preferences.

Post Number: 7
Dr. HSU suggested STF3...so what speakers should I pick?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3547
What is your budget and what is available in your area or are you going through internet dealers?

Anonnnn
Unregistered guest
BOSE?
ewhhhh!

Post Number: 8
Ok. I get it BOSE....kind of sucks!!. I am open for internet dealers as they are less expensive. Budget is 800/900. I got Best Buy and Circuit City.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3558
look around best buy for the Athena.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us