Need help setting up a system

Bronze Member
Username: Mrcornholio

Post Number: 11
Hi everyone:

I tried this under accessories but did not received any information, so I am trying under this topic. I have searched your forums for a couple of nights in a row and could not find an answer. AR's doesn't seem to have a working websire (and the one for Recoton is still down). I appologize for putting this threat here, but I really would like to find some unbiased information on this before I place an order and I am getting desperate.

I am setting an HT and I am buying several component, S-video, optical, and audio cables, plus some speaker wire. I have read several posts that have directed me to AR. But there are several lines product lines out there: HT, PROII, and Master. In addition, there is the stuff you can find at Best Buy. The cables at BB are blue in color and start with the prefix AP or DA, as in AP053 for the sub cable. The same cable on the PRO line is PR153. Is this a way to confuse customers or is there a difference in these lines. Maybe the DA series compares with the HT, whereas the AP compares to the PR. This is getting to be fairly confusing. Thanks for your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 18
i don't know about AR video cables, but i read a rave review for AR's cheap audio cables in stereophile and the writer mentioned they were available at best buy.

i don't recall which cable it was, but i think the writer said it was a $12 cable.

ANY cable upgrade you make over the skimpy generic cables that come with your equipment will be an improvement. i really like the cheap heavy duty cables i bought from MCM (who used to sell AR cables if they don't anymore) and was more than happy with them.

they only cost me around $12 but the grip like heck. in comparison, my $40 monster cables barely hold on anymore.

r/b/y is generally considered better than s-video if you can use either. s-video is better than composite (rca)

if you need a nice cheap composite video or digital cable, the 2000ohm one that canare makes is really nice according to a review i read.

using my onkyo reciever's onboard d/a converters, i like the sound with a GENERIC ($3) video cable feeding it a digital signal alot better than using those $40 monster cables with my onkyo DVD player's analogue outs.

hope something here is helpful

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 211
John,

I really have no knowledge of the AR audio/video cable lineup...but let me make another suggestion. Check out www.partsexpress.com. They have all of the cables/wire you could ever want and then some. The do sell the "name brands" such as Monster, but they also sell off brand stuff that is just as good, if not better than Monster. For audio/video cables, check out their house brand "Dayton Audio". These cables are very high quality, and at a fraction of what you would spend on similar Monster gear. For speaker wire, check out the "Sound King" brand. I bought 100 feet of 12 gauge speaker wire for under $30 shipped. For the same amount of Monster 12 gauge wire at Best Buy or Circuit City...I would have to have spent over $150!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 308
John,
I have several AR analog cables from Best Buy and 1 of their s-video cables also and have found them to be pretty good but would recommend for good budget cable the Phoenix Gold silver series that can be bought through Crutchfield. I have several of their analog cables, s-video and optical. Excellent for very low prices. As far as component cables go I don't have any but a co-worker had the AR and didn't like them and bought Monster and liked it much better.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 23
you might find "sound king" cables cheaper at MCM. they have sound king 10 guage bulk cable for ALOT less than most manufactured 12-16 guage cables. i thought that parts express was a little more expensive for various things i searched for a while back. definately shop around.

crutchfield is definately not in the "discount" category, but their customer satisfaction ratings are high. that's where i bought my first pair of superzeros. their website is AWESOME and should serve as a model to even some equipment manufacturers like denon and marantz whose websites stink at giving info out.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us