Question about Marantz SR7400 heat

Username: Marvinbeaverdip

Post Number: 2
I got my Marantz SR7400 hooked up finally last night, and played with it most of today and it sounds great. While I expected it to be warm to hot while playing, I was not expecting it to stay hot after it's been shut off. And I'm not talking retained heat, I'm talking it's still putting out a LOT of heat after it's been turned "off" (not actually unplugged, but in some sort of standby). Is this normal? I don't understand why it would be creating heat when supposedly the amps are turned off inside. It has a "standby" light above the power button, but even when shut off it doesn't light up. Is there some adjustment to the standby setting that needs to be set? Thanks for your help in advance. BTW, I think it was shut off for maybe an hour today, so maybe it goes into a second standby after a certain amount of time?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 976
I would say that this is not normal.

Anonymous

If you have the multi-room (zone 2) switched on, even after turning of the AVR, it will still remain warm/hot as before you placed it into standby. I recently noticed this on my SR8500.

Post Number: 3
It WAS in multiroom for some reason, and so I switched that off last night. I also changed the standby mode from "economy" to regular or standard, whatever they called it. Then when it shut off, the standby light lit up. I didn't have a chance to check it this AM. I'll do that when I get home tonight.
Anonymous- what would be the reason for multi-room keeping the amps on in standby?

Anonymous

The multi-room function allows the second zone to be operational, even if the main zone is off (i.e. in standby). So unless "multi" is switched off, you are still using the amps/processor.

When multi-room is switched on, whatever multi-room source you select is being processed at whatever multi-room volume was specified. Depending on the source/volume, the amps can be heavily utilized and therefore produce some heat.

Post Number: 4
Thanks, that definitely sounds like the issue I was having. I turned off multi last night, so I'm betting it's cool when I get home. This thing sounds sooo good, I'm glad it wasn't something that was a real issue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us