Silver Member
Username: Car_bangs

Post Number: 135
anyone

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1541
Then do some research and come back and give us some information. We really don't have any idea what you are talking about. What's your application? Your budget? Etc, etc, etc!!!! When you have some idea what you want perhaps we will be able to help.

T2T
Unregistered guest
Well, since it is a receiver you're after, how about the Harman Kardon AVR-7300 ?

Bronze Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 18
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH No! HK is garbage NO NO NO NO! They've been garage since after the 80's! BTW guys, he has another post about a Kenwood receiver of sorts.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 591
Could you back up your statement of Harman Kardon receivers being garbage?

I own the AVR-430 - last year's unit with 7.1 channels - 65 watts a channel and has more than enough clean power - far more than many other receivers bosting as much as twice the power in their specs. Plus HK's Logic 7 DSP is truly great for many applications like watching cable TV, far better than Pro Logic IIx IMO.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1284
Tyler,

You look to be new around here. Let me give you one piece of advice: If you intend to stay around a bit, it's best to build a little credibility before ragging on brands with unsubstiated insults.

Bronze Member
Username: Thunder18

Post Number: 23
Check this one out! It's THX Ultra certified, and pumps out 120 watts per channel. It's on closeout at www.jr.com for $600
Here's the link:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4038867

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1614
interesting...according to that jr.com page, the wpc stays the same going from 8 ohms to 4 ohms.

Somebody who's more technically proficient can probably explain what that means, but it seems very unusual.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1289
Well, at least it's rated for 4 ohms. But it's not good news that Wattage doesn't increase at all. A perfect amp would double the rating for 4 ohms (as does my old Nikko Alpha 220 power amp).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1617
wonder if this is yet another example of the fast-and-loose numbers that Onkyo is infamous for...

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3471
I think it has more to do with the fast and loose numbers of new posters that spew numbers and tend to take it as gospel.:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I'm not sure why it doesn't double it's output at 4 ohms, it is definately 4 ohm capable though. Here's a review to it I found online:
http://www.avguide.com/download.jsp?review=675

They don't go into detail about it's power specs, but the do not that in includes a switch for switching between 4-6 ohm and 8-16 ohm speakers. Anyway, just check out the review.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Here's another set of customer reviews from 2002. Apparently this JVC was their flagship model that year. Anyway, as I said here are 7 customer reviews and not a single one of them has anything bad to say about it.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-receivers/jvc/PRD_128539_2718cr x.aspx#reviews

alls i wantz
Unregistered guest
I wonder if freedom gots heez receiver wid da mad puwah.

That alls he wants

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 210
"interesting...according to that jr.com page, the wpc stays the same going from 8 ohms to 4 ohms.

Somebody who's more technically proficient can probably explain what that means, but it seems very unusual. "

If you play with the equations Voltage=Current x Resistance and Wattage = Current x Voltage you'll find that if it were perfectly 240 watts, that the current would have doubled and the voltage would have stayed the same. This is ideal as Peter stated. Lesser numbers typically mean that a reciever/amplifier can't crank out as much current as we would like.

"wonder if this is yet another example of the fast-and-loose numbers that Onkyo is infamous for..."

Its a JVC.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2076
Maybe they're really quoting the 4ohm WPC rating, and trying to pull a lookie-louie to make people think it's an 8ohm rating?

Bronze Member
Username: Fnegroni

Berkshire United Kingdom

Post Number: 26
NAD rate their receivers' RMS wattage at 8ohms and 4 ohms to be the same.
They claim that it is due to their powerdrive techonology, which draws wathever current is needed for the load (speaker/volume).
Look at the IHF rating, that is more likely to increase at lower ohms.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1306
NAD rate their receivers' RMS wattage at 8ohms and 4 ohms to be the same. Look at the IHF rating, that is more likely to increase at lower ohms.

NAD T 753
6 x 70W Simultaneous Minimum Continuous Power into 4 / 8 ohms
150W, 200W, 225W IHF Dynamic Power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms, respectively

I had never noticed this before...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1627
you're right, Peter---NAD claims this is due to its "PowerDrive" circuitry:

http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_amplifiers/C272_framset.htm

PowerDrive
The C 272 also benefits from NAD's proprietary PowerDrive amplification circuitry, now well established and used in many NAD models including the highly reviewed C 320BEE and C 350. PowerDrive allows the C 272 to deliver maximum performance under virtually any circumstance, independent of the loudspeakers it is driving. The circuitry automatically senses the impedance of the loudspeaker and then adjusts its power supply settings to best cope with that specific load.

With PowerDrive, the relationship of voltage to current is kept at an ideal proportion, eliminating the current limiting distortion common in lesser designs. This also gives it an unusual characteristic compared to traditional amplifiers when measuring its continuous output power; the RMS output power remains the same at 120 watts with either an eight or a four-ohm load. This is not unusual for NAD however. NAD takes a stance against the mindless "brochure power" approach which doesn't give a realistic indication of an amplifier's true capabilities. Instead, PowerDrive is a practical approach to enable an amplifier to easily deal with musical dynamics and difficult speaker loads. More meaningful in the real world are the C 272's dynamic capabilities; up to 450 watts into 2 ohms and up to 70 amps current capability into 1 ohm!

Silver Member

Post Number: 223
Sounds like a load of BS to me, but my electrical knowledge is admittedly limited.

"With PowerDrive, the relationship of voltage to current is kept at an ideal proportion"

WTF is this for example?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1320
Right! The relation of voltage to current already has a name: impedence!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1635
lol DA, I'm in the same boat as you, but hey it sure sounds good doesn't it?

I mean, I've never heard Onkyo come up with a spiel like that...

Silver Member

Post Number: 225
Sounds almost as good as cable manufacturers stories. But, if the amp sounds good, I suppose it doesn't really matter in the long run.

Silver Member

Post Number: 226
"NAD takes a stance against the mindless "brochure power" approach " ... "up to 450 watts into 2 ohms and up to 70 amps current capability into 1 ohm!"

I love advertising sometimes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2103
Eddie would probably fall for that NAD gobbldee-gook. As PT Barnum once said, "there's a sucker born every minute."

Gold Member

Post Number: 1650
DA,

all I know is that in real life performance NAD leaves the likes of Onkyo in the dust in just about every department except for gadget-geekiness (flashy lights, gazillion useless DSPs & plugs on the back, etc).

Paul,

hey you shouldn't be quoting PT Barnum, that quote perfectly explains the last presidential election, LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3532
I wonder if freedom is getting anything out of this.

Bronze Member
Username: Fnegroni

Berkshire United Kingdom

Post Number: 29
Harman/Kardon has a similar technology to NAD, and the RMS wattage rating at 8ohm and 4 ohm is the same.
The IHF power increases.
On the back of my AVR135, on top of the speaker connectors it says (8 Ohm). But I know for a fact you can hook up 4Ohm speakers and it will perform as expected.
The point is that 4ohms are a more difficult load to drive than 8ohms (on average), so although the wattage could increase, distortion would too.
So instead NAD and H/K make sure that they meet the minimum spec for Wattage and distortion no matter what load you attach to them (kind of).
That is the only explanation I can come up with.
In practical terms, it will be very difficult for a NAD or a H/K receiver to clip even at high volume.

Unregistered guest
Why doesn't H/K "certify" or at least reinforce the fact that they can supposedly drive 4 ohm speakers for an extended period of time? It's not stated or recommended on the back of any of their models or in their service maunuals. However, one can fish thru their FAQ's to find mention of their 4 ohm capabilities but not for how long.

The H/K 525 I ran at home was not impressive running my 4 ohm speakers. Experiences may vary; it still does not explain the self imposed 8 ohm rating on their models.

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1347
Strange. I had great results driving 4-ohm Magnat Needle speakers with an h/k avr-325. Granted it wasn't for weeks but for an hour or so. Pushing it pretty hard too, up to +7 dB.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3552
"Freedom" ARE you out there?

Are you getting anything out of this?

Have you decided on your mad amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2127
Jaw,
Many of the HKs dont have enough juice to properly push 4ohm speakers unless they're really tiny speakers:-)

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1350
And this is based on what experience Paul?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2135
Im just pulling your chain. Im sure a 60watter could push 4ohm bookshelf speakers just fine. It couldnt drive a pair of 4ohm CVs to sound their best though unless you doubled it's power. Now that, I can speak from experience being that I've driven them with many various receivers through the years.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us