Yamaha RX V2500 with a 7.1 AMP

Bronze Member
Username: Dixlon

Post Number: 15
Would i get a cleaner sound for HT if I use a Yamaha RX V2500 as a PRE/PRO and a 7.1 AMP? If yes what quality amp would you pick for under $2000?
Thanks
Dixlon

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1570
do you find your V2500 to produce "muddy" sound?

It wouldn't be my first pick for music, but I'd be very surprised to hear anyone make that charge against the Yammi for HT. Usually Yamaha-detractors level the opposite charge: "bright."

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Don't care about music. I hear the Yammi 2500 is a very good HT processor. I figure I get a seperate amp, maybe like the NAD T973 for clean power. Does anybody think that's a good combo?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1576
Good, if you don't care about music then don't worry about "clean power." You'll be too busy watching explosions and whatnot to notice. I don't mean that as a slam on HT users, even if it might sound like one---when you sit and listen to music without being distracted by a movie or TV program, you are much more likely to notice sonic imperfections and be irritated by them.

With HT you mainly need it not to sound BAD, and you need adequate power to drive all the speakers properly---both of which the Yammie does just fine. Oh, and of course you need a strong subwoofer for all the rumbles and explosions, and a good center channel to hear dialogue clearly which is about 60% of most soundtracks anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 109
If you really feel that the Yammie is not enough, the Outlaw Audio 770 (7x200W) is on closeout for $1599. That will definitely give you great bang for the buck.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3399
I'll second the Outlaw Audio for your budget. An excellent power amp to couple with your yamaha.
If you think it is too much you can wait for their new offering, the Outlaw Audio 7125. 7 channels at 125w. I am currently using the 7100 and I can't wait to exchange it for the 7125.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 110
Berny, I think they are shipping the 7125 now. Price is $999.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3406
I just checked that. WOW! I have to wait for the exchange, though. I just got informed that I have to go to South Korea for a 1 year stint.

I have to leave my gear here in the States. Whatever shall I do?

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 584
I'd suggest the Outlaw 990 Pre/Pro if you're only planning on using the Yamaha as a Pre/Pro. The set-up/EQ options on the Yammi are impressive, but you'll realize you don't really need them, while with the Outlaw you will have almost zero interference and background notice throughout its life.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/990.html

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 585
I'd suggest the Outlaw 990 Pre/Pro if you're only planning on using the Yamaha as a Pre/Pro. The set-up/EQ options on the Yammi are impressive, but you'll realize you don't really need them, while with the Outlaw you will have almost zero interference and background noise throughout its life.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/990.html

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1988
Dix,
I have the 2500 and Im here to tell you that the Yammi has plenty of power, and buying a separate amp would be a waste of money. Instead of blowing $2000 on an amp, buy one of these instead......
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb12_plus_2.htm

It will be money well spent, and your HT will be a wicked beast that will blow away all others at a similar pricepoint.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1989
Dix,

No HT should be without one of these monsters.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/136710.jpg
It will add an entirely new demension to movies.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1272
I agree with Paul and edster on this one... Why would you ever need more power for HT? Are you close to 0 dB on the dial when watching movies?

If you have money to burn on the system, get another sub or another TV! IMHO.

Bronze Member
Username: Zorro

Post Number: 28
DixLon,

With all due respect, they guys here are right on target, save your money, no need to upgrade a receiver like the 2500 for movies.

Movies do not demand as much as music. Of course there is only one person on this forum who would disagree....Viva las Cerwin Vegas ! :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1591
For once I agree wholeheartedly with Paul...since you are HT-only, getting some monster SVS like his would be a far better investment than adding an external amp.

The lower-down model, the PB12/ISD-2, is about $300 cheaper than the PB12/Plus-2 that he got, and in fact is available right now as B-stock for $800.

I may have to rob a convenience store soon...LOL!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Paul,

I do have the SVS PB-12 Plus and for my small room it rocks. I'm looking for a good source to replace my Denon 1803 receiver.
Dixlon

Gold Member

Post Number: 1992
Ahhh...sweet!!

Then look no further than the 2500.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1996
Zorro is clueless.....

Move soundtracks are 10-fold more demanding than music soundtracks. With music, you can 'get away' with owning little baby-petite halfpints, but not with todays movie sountracks.

I watched the incredibles again tonight,....woah....

That track will smoke anything you have on SACD. Little baby halpints and a weak sub couldnt even scratch the surface of that soundtrack.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Ah the incredibles! nice sound !....still, a kids movie. go figure :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2032
Actually,

The incredibles was much more than 'just' a kids movie. There were several adult themes in that movie geared specifically towards adults, and I guess it doesnt surprise me that they went right over your head unnoticed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
You are right they just went over my head, have not had much time to watch cartoons lately but I am sure my little boy picked up some good things just like you did so that is good, for his comments, I gathered that "Dash" gives an "oscar winning" performance, is it true?
:-)

Irish Will
Unregistered guest
Sorry to butt in here guys - came across the forum & more specifically the thread.

I have a Pioneer 42" with a Denon 2910. I am purchasing a receiver and have cut it down to either the Yammie 1500 or 2500. At the end of the day, there's only €100 beween them!

I'll be using it for 80% HT.

Any advice/suggestions on which is the better choice considering what I'm using it for. (Although do want something fairly future proof!)

Was hoping to hear some first hand advice!! ;-)
Cheers,
Will

Gold Member

Post Number: 2214
The GUI menu upgrade on the 2500 is worth the extra 100 by itself.

Anonymous

Yammie 1500 or 2500, that's like choosing between crap and crappier. You'd be just as happy with a $350 Onkyo 602 if your usage is 80% HT.

Jbarber
Unregistered guest
Choosing a 2500 over the 1500 for me was just the gui and the record selector. I am using Athena audition series and the sound is excellent on both movies and music. There is no problem with power and volume.

James

Anoni
Unregistered guest
That GUI on the 2500 is just amazing, oh my god I didn't know such audio nirvana could be had for so little, as soon as I unpacked my 2500 I knew I'd be ebaying off my McIntosh amp it was just no contest.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2228
J,
I agree. There arent many receivers that can compete with the 2500 in the $1,000 price range.

Irish Will
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the feedback people - much appreciated!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1803
heh, the Pioneer 1015 at around $400-500 would likely match the 2500's HT performance and best it for music.

Irish Will---go to hometheaterforum.com and do a search for Pioneer 1014 or Pioneer 1015, there's a humongous thread about these units.

80% HT really does not justify spending more than $500, that extra $500 would be much better spent on upgrading speakers and especially upgrading your subwoofer.

Bronze Member
Username: Steelhrd

Post Number: 15
Edster i have to disagree with you have heard the pioneer 53txi and found the yamaha to perform much better musically. Edster have you heard the yammy with peq imposed the sound is much fuller.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2256
I'll bet he's never seen the 2500 in person either. With his small bookshelves, he wouldnt know what full sound was if he had it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us