Detective Story for Art, Jan, etc. (Anyone)

John McA
Unregistered guest
I bought a pair of TDC3b speakers, small floorstanding two way speakers in approximately 1981. I started watching this forum because I am going to replace them, but now I am curious. Has anyone ever heard of this company?

A label on the back says the company was called TDC and was located at 48 Teed Drive in Randolph, MA. I thought at first they might be Tannoy, but I don't believe Tannoy has ever had headquarters in the US. An old advertisement turned up on Google showing that a hi-fi store called Tech-Hi-Fi was located at 48 Teed Drive in approximately 1975 and had multiple New England locations.

Any thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1505
Sorry John I have no idea and google didn't do me any good. Perhaps it was a house brand. I just don't know. I live on the west coast and have never heard of them. Just like most east coasters have never heard of Seattle Sound which was a speaker brand out here in the late eighties and early nineties. A google search for them reveals no info as well. Good luck.

John McA
Unregistered guest
Thanks Art. I think you might be right on the house brand. Unfortunately, the house is gone . . . Tech Hi-Fi is long out of business.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5063

I would vote for house brand also. You can try the Orion guide to see if they show up as a recognized brand name.

http://www.orionbluebook.com/orion/index.asp

John McA
Unregistered guest
Thank you, Jan. I was not aware of that site, but no luck. Neither TDC nor Tech Hi-Fi appear on the list.

John McA
Unregistered guest
I emailed a place called Qaudio in Massachusetts. They claim to be operating in the original Tech Hi-Fi location, so I hope that they might know something about my TDC speakers and whether they were made in house. I will keep you updated.

John McA
Unregistered guest
I received the following response from QAudio in Cambridge, MA:

TDC was Tech's private label/house brand. Originally built for them by Rectilinear. People later grouped together to become Ohm Acoustics. All parties (except Ohm) now out of business and long since gone.

Replacement tip: buy a pair of Paradigm speakers. Look at models like Atom or Mini Monitor ranging in price from $200-$400 per pair. http://www.paradigm.com. We cannot sell you new Paradigm by mail order, but can if/when we have used models (which we do).

Thanks,
Bob

Mystery solved. Thank you all for your input and for anyone who lives in the Boston Area, give QAudio a try.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us