Between Rotel and NAD? NOT a Denon, Onkyo, Sony, HK

Anonymous

Hi boys and girls!

PLease help me with your advise: to you know any receiver between NAD and Rotel that will deserve the consideration? I am NOT speaking about Denon, Onkyo, SOny, Kenwood, HK, Yamaha, Pioneer,etc .

The budget: 549-999 USD

Thank you a lot

rocknhard place
Unregistered guest
Hey, you sound like me! I've basically narrowed it down to these two brands(Rotel or NAD)also but haven't heard much chat about pitting them against each other. Seems as if both are more into dyno sound versus "features" but I'm having a problem picking one.(also haven't heard an NAD yet). Went to an NAD dealer last week, but what a jerk, wouldn't even hook one up for me! Said he only did "custom" installations.

rockn hardplace
Unregistered guest
Just another quick note. Seems like NAD's have alot of problems. See the discussion on hum with 157 responses just below this. Other problems talked about also. Makes me wonder/scared...

Anonymous

I listened to NAD - Great Great sound - but as you said - it seems that a lot of problems - and to bad no DTS 92/24 decoding.
But coming back to Rotel - is posible to have the same problems - because is having the same procesor as HK and Marantz (Cirrus CS...) that is the new version that is creating problems.
By the way, any experiences so far with Rotel?

Bronze Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 84
Haven't heard any problems with Marantz - if you like the NAD sound, Marantz is close if a little warmer. I have the SR-7300 (new version 7400) and I think it's wonderful. You may still get one of these or the OSE version at a run-out price otherwise look at the 5400/6400. Cheers

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 444
Anon and rock:

I replaced a Denon 3803 with an NAD 753 and I couldn't be happier. Before buying the NAD, I spent a considerable amount of time at my Rotel dealer looking at the now recently discontinued RX-1055. In fact, I ended up buying a Rotel RX-1050, a two channel receiver, for my study. Both are very good, but have a very different sound.

The Rotel is leaner sounding than the NAD, with less apparent bass information. It is also not as warm sounding--with certain program material and speakers, I found it can sound somewhat cold. The NAD sounds warmer, with a more powerful sounding signal. Neither is objectively better as both image beautifully and provide a superb soundstage with real depth to it. It really comes down to what sound you prefer. I prefer the NAD because it sounds "right" to me. You should listen to both to see which do you prefer. Consider taking in a pair of your speakers to listen to each so that you will know what it sounds like through your speakers (I have done this a number of times and never had a probles so long as I went when they weren't busy). Rock--some guys are just into custom installs and the equipment they sell is simply a secondary part of their business. Keep looking for a real audio dealer, however, to satisfy your curiousity if nothing else.

I haven't had any problems with my 753--most problems appear to be with the new 773, which may not have enough sheilding between its massive power supply and the electronics (a good argument for going to separates instead of trying to cram everything into one box). Frankly, the build quality of my 753 is better than the build quality of my old Denon 3803, and sounds significantly better, to boot.

However, if you are concerned, I would agree with Rantz that the Marantz is a good receiver, too. Warmer than the Rotel, but not as liquid-like as the NAD, it is somewhat in the middle of NAD and Rotel, sound-wise (although like every brand, they have had some problems that have been regularly reported and discussed on this board). Every brand has had a few bad units get past QC--they key is whether the dealer will make it good for you.

Good luck!

Anonymous

After listening to Rotel paired with B&W 604 I decided to go with NAD T743/T752 or with Marantz SR6400. For the speakers I decided to go with PSB, altough DefTech sounded very good to me.

The owners of NAD T743 or T752 and Marantz SR 6400 please let me know your experiences.

Thank you very much

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 57
Anon,
I was considering the same receivers a few months ago and ended up with the T743 and have been satisfied by its performance. A refurbed T752 was tempting considering it costs about the same as a T743. The main reasons for going with a T752 would be the extra wpc (for example for driving inefficient speakers or playing in a large room) and 6.1 support. Neither of which applied to me, but you may have different priorities. The T743 has a few improvements over the T752, the most important (for me) being the improved cooling system, i.e., the fan runs at a constant slow speed instead of turning on at a fast speed whenever the unit heats up. There have been some mention in this forum about the fan on the T752 being distracting when listening to quiet passages. I personally have no experience with the T752, but I didn't really want to risk finding out. The T743 is as quiet as can be. If you need the extra power or have your heart set on a 6.1 set-up, then you might consider spending a little extra for a T753. Is there such a thing as a Marantz 6400 receiver? The Marantz I looked at in the same price range as the T743 didn't have component video switching, which was an important convenience feature for me.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us