How to minimize large changes in sound level when switching channels?

Username: Gred

Canada

Post Number: 7
i have a yamaha rx-v557 to which my satellite decoder is connected. some channels seem to have very soft audio, and some much louder so that often, when i switch between channels there will be a big jump up in volume, freaking out everyone in the house.

back when i had my satellite decoder hooked up right to my TV, this never happened.

is there any way to make my receiver compensate and even out the levels of different channels?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5048

Call the satellite company. I use Dish Network and don't have large swings in volume.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 572
Check the cable tuner set-up menus. I use digital cable and can set audio to automatic, which generally evens out the volume of each channel.

Another thing I noticed is channels with Dolby Digital output played softer than those that output stereo. When I hooked up a coax connection for the digital channels all was evened out again.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 977
Generally, you will not be able to compensate for this with the onboard receiver controls, especially with analog connections. Digital connection volume tends to be more uniform.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us