Will H/K Receiver drive MMG's?

Username: Bobolink

Post Number: 1
Newbie here trying to put together a respectable HT/Music system for cheap.

I'm very interested in auditioning the Magnepan MMG's. I've decided on an H/K 230 for my receiver. My question is will the H/K 230 alone be able to drive the MMG's? From H/K's website, it states that their receivers should be able to handle most 4 Ohm speakers, but I'd like to hear from anyone with experience using H/K's driving low-impedance speakers.

Thanks to all in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 21
hmm... i've never come across anything that states that HK can do 4 ohms. the general rule of thumb is to look for amps that have 2X the power output with 4 ohms as they do with 8 ohms.

i too am lusting after MMGs after listening to a pair of their bigger brothers, but my onkyo owners manual says 4 ohm loads are a huge no-no.

if their website claims 4 ohm stability, then HKs should be able to drive maggies as they have super flat impedence curves.

i've been looking into NADs to drive MMGs as i know that NAD has dedicated 4 ohm switching as i own an older 2 channel with a 4 ohm switch.

i don't have an answer to your question, but you gave me something to look into. if HK can do 4 ohms safely, then i'd probably lean that way as NADs tend to have more rolled off treble as well as magnepans (at least their $1200 1.2s do). 2X soft treble is some price to pay for midrange heaven. i think that MMGs actually have more treble extension than 1.2s though.

HK has always impressed me with it's treble extension, but i never liked that their recievers tend to be around $100 more expensive than similarly rated onkyo/denon/yamaha. if they can do 4 ohm loads though, then they are actually a bargain.

it would be really nice if magnepan would just split their drivers in half and run them in series to turn them into 4 ohm loads which would work with ANY amp.

it's a shame that their quite reasonable MMGs require an = investment in amplification upgrades for most.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 22
i just looked at HK's website. i didn't see ANYTHING that says that their recievers can handle 4 ohms. they don't even list 6 ohm specs for their recievers.

their descriptions DO say they can handle "the most demanding loads" but that is really vague and isn't backed up with a statement about low impedence.

i'd rather buy an NAD and be assured that the reciever is designed with 4 ohm loads in mind than gamble.

if you have a letter from harmon that guarantees that they're recievers are 4 ohm stable in writing, that's a different thing.

i was certain that i looked into HK before with NO resolution on the 4 ohm issue. from what i saw just now, they're still avoiding direct discussion about 4 ohm loads. that isn't reassuring.

denon at least posts specs for 6 ohm loads.

Username: Bobolink

Post Number: 2
Here's the link I've found to HK's vague answer for handling low impedance loads:

http://www.harmankardon.com/faq/showFaqanswer.asp?faqId=233

I'm hoping that it applies to their more recent models as well.

And FYI, I've gone ahead and purchased both an HK AVR325 and the MMG's. Made sure that the 325 has preamp outputs, so I can hook up an amp if this doesnt work out.

now it's all about Hurry Up, UPS Man ...

Bronze Member
Username: Rick_b

New york Usa

Post Number: 57
Bobo,

Congratulations on a truly fine speaker choice. I know you will have many hours of listening bliss. Maggies require extensive break in time, so don't freak at the sound, out of the box. They will sound better after 1000 hours than 100 hours.

As to the HK 4 ohm question, I just don't know. I can't find any definitive answer short of calling HK, and putting their feet to the fire. That may not be a bad idea. Give it a go.

I hope the HK works out for you, but hope you have a return policy, if it doesn't. You could use it as a pre-pro, but I would replace it with a NAD in that case.

Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

Post Number: 13
I am using the AVR230 to drive Ohm Acoustic Micro Walsh omni directional speaker which are 6ohm and while it sounds great at low to mid volumes when turned up, the receiver is definitely under powered for these power hungry speakers. Thankfully zero distortion when turned up all the way as HK has good Clipping but the sound gets a bit thin. There is no doubt it will soon be regulated to pre-amp status for a more power separate amplifier. However, it should work very well in that capacity since it has just about all the latest bells and whistles for home theater and does sound nice. I think I am going to buy a great amp that will last for years and just upgrade the surround sound processors as the technology advances. This HK should last me several more years as a pre-amp until coaxial and component connections are passe.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us