Totem Arro

Bronze Member
Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 43
Well I went to look specifically at Quad yesterday matched with an Arcam Integrated Amp. Well the finish on the Quad bookshelf was really fantastic and the price was right. But next to the quad was a paif of Totem Arro's. Needless to say I was impressed with this little floorstander. It sounded great with the Arcam gear that they were using. However I think the Arcam stuff will be outta my price range as it is double what I was looking to spend on NAD equiptment. But the Arro's are spot on price wise.

Has anyone had some quality time with the Arros yet?

If so what are your opinions?

Will the Arro's sound as good with NAD gear as compared to the Arcam? Maybe the Rotel receiver would be a good compromise...Remember the speaker has to also be female approved. So it needs to look good as well as sound good so I have to keep that in my equation. She hates the look of B&W for example. Thinks the little dinky tweeter up top looks "silly".

The room is a Texas greatroom that includes the kitchen. So it is 25 feet to the back wall. However the listening point will be in the middle of the room at 10 feet. The floors are all wood with scattered rugs so sound does indeed travel in the house. Luckily it does not echo from one part of the house to the other. Fabric on the furniture instead of leather to help absorb sound. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance. Upload

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 649
Brit the Arro is like no other speaker under $3000,I owned the Arros for a year as I said on this forum before they are great tool to test gear.I had the Nad gear on them first,the 320bee and 541i,Arros showed every weakness the 320bee had but it still remained musical,the Rotel I would advise against it,brightness will set in early,the Arcam gear is nice,but it may lack punch,and drive,the magical combination is the Unison Unico,the Arros like power and current in that set when my friend loaned me the amp and the cd player,It easily produced the best sound I ever had and rivalded 20k systems with its soundstaging and imaging and coherencey except for ultimate dynamics and bass.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 45
Tawaun,

What issues did the 320BEE have that were brought to light. I am thinking about picking up the 720BEE which uses the same amplifier but has the receiver in house. I really like the NAD sound overall and I have read a few customer reviews that state that the only Arcam gear that is suggested is the A90 which is double my price point at $1200 from Audiogon and then triple it at the store at $1800.00. So Arcam with this speaker is out of the question since the A65plus will not have enough oomph. Are the issues heard with the C320BEE the same as what would be heard with any NAD gear? Would an integrated amp higher up the ladder be a better option. Say a C372? or a 352? Did the 320 just not have the guts to drive the Arros?

Thanks for more details since I am wondering what went wrong with the C320BEE.

My final picks so far are the NAD720BEE and the C542 CD player as the two sounded really nice on the Rega R5's at one store. The Arros are at the competitor. To be honest with you the Arcam gear sounded nice and open but it just did not have the feeling of POWER that the NAD gear had. The NAD was still nice and open and detailed but only fractionally less than the Arcam. Tough to really say since I can not do a direct comparison. My final call on the Arcam is that it just does not justify the price for what I get in return. I have not heard anything by Unison nor have I heard of them yet. I have only been reading up since May so I am learning information every day.

Britt

Silver Member

Post Number: 655
It just showed the 320bee to be cheap amp which it is.Ive got a better idea for you.go to www.odysseyaudio.com and go to the reviews and read it get back with me and I will explain more to you.

Bronze Member
Username: Frostyda9

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 25
Good choice on the Arro's =) I was very close to getting a set, but I found out that they can't be ordered with video shielding. What a shame. They look oh so sexy (IMO) in mahogany...

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 657
Thats the finish I had,stunning arent they.Video shielding wont be an issue if have them atleast 1 foot away from the TV.Dont let that stop you from getting them that would be a huge mistake,but trust me you will be fine.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 46
Tawaun,

Good news is that I really don't care about video shielding. All I see are mostly reviews for an amp that costs $1000.00. What I need in my budget is an Integrated Amp that costs say under $850 at a retailer. Or I can go with something used from Spearit sound or any other online retailer. I need something really reliable because if it goes kapooey after only 5 years of use then it will be replaced without much of a budget. That is what led me to NAD for their stereo units and Rotel because they have a good rep for being high quality. There were multiple reviews on this page. What am I looking at here? Maybe post a direct link as I am feeling a bit stupified at the moment. :-)

IMO Mahogany is really sweet on the Arro! The wife also approves of this finish! So hurray.

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 26
I suppose you're right Tawaun. I'll see if I can borrow a pair sometime and find out for sure. A 4" driver isn't likely to produce a massive magnetic flux aura, afterall.

Silver Member

Post Number: 659
Britt,the $ 1500 includes the Odyssey Epiphony speakers to Which I have right now and they are everything the Arros are,with a wider deeper soundstage and more pinpoint imaging.This system includes the Estiban passive pre amp.Khartigo amp and groneberge interconnets and speakerwire for $1500 and its killer the Epiphonys have a very similar sound to the Arros.Britt go back to the site scroll to bottom of the page go to reviews and you will see and the Epiphonys have a killer individual review check that out and get back with me and then I will give you some more info.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 738
The Arros are not particularly easy to drive. This is what makes the 320BEE struggle. An Arcam A90 would be the minimum to really get them going in the Arcam stable. It sounds to me like you simply didn't like the Arcam presentation which can be a bit too smooth for many tastes. The NAD has a bit more snap and pace to it. The Arros love this, but you still need to drive them properly and this means you need to be looking higher up the NAD range to make them work well. I think you'd be looking at a 372 realistically, though I haven't tried it myself.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 47
Frank,

Spearit sound has a 372 for $649.00. This is only $50.00 more than what I was going to pay for a 720BEE so it is in the current price range without issue. I will have to pick up a tuner later but the amp is definitly in my price range. After reading up on the 372 it seems as though it is a more polished unit than the 320 with an overall higher quality product.

Tawaun,

I am just not willing to buy anything that I can't personally audition and neither HIFI store that is in Dallas carries the Odyssey gear mentioned since they are factory direct. I can audition a 372 int amp here and haggle down the price after comparing another NAD authorized dealer. A NAD refurbished unit carries a warranty so if anything goes wrong I am covered. Killer or not I just don't like the whole "try it for 30 days and send it back for a full refund" approach. I feel like I am being sold a vacum cleaner and not audio equiptment. It's just not my bag baby. :-) I am glad to hear that you have found a set up that brings you sheer joy! After listening for 2 months straight I know how frustrating it can be to find a set up that brings the music to life.

Thanks to you both!

Britt

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 48
Frank,

After reading the specs on the Arro's they only need 80watts max to drive. I am guessing that this spec is incorrect. I'll email someone at Totem today to find out if the C372 is a good match or if I should go with a C352 instead as I don't want to spend extra $$$ on power that will never be utilized. I'll post what I find out later today or on Monday after I get an email back from Totem.

Britt

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 742
Britt

I know where you're coming from. However, the Arros need current, not just power. This is why I suggested the 372 rather than the 352. The 352 is a good bit better than the 320BEE incidentally, and I guess it can power the Arros, but I felt you needed the power in reserve of the 372 as well as the better preamp stage it gives you, especially since you're using a decent CD player in the 542. If you can get a demo it will be well worth listening to the 372 I think.

The fact is one rarely if ever really uses all the power that one gets from an amp. It's the power in reserve which allows the amp to work more freely and easily to give you punch and dynamics. It's a bit like saying you've got a 170bhp car, but you rarely use all that power in practice, the reserve just makes the car that much more capable at lower speeds.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 50
OK...I just did not want to "blow" the Arro's due to the ratings of the amp. Remember I am a learning newbie so thanks for the patience here. I am catching on but a little bit at a time. To put it into a car perspective. Let's say I have a car that easily does 100mph on the highway but I only buy tires that can handle 70mph. I don't want to be on the side of the road in anguish when I have a blow out while trying to do 100mph.

So the information that this will not be an issue really helps me not worry so much about the ratings. There are other items in the 372 that differentiates it from the 320BEE that will give me greater listening pleasure? If that is the case then it will be worth the investment. Especially if Jack at Spearit Sound will hold the 372 for me for a week or so. Sending him an email after I write this.

Thanks Frank and have a great and safe weekend!
Britt

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1492
Excellent discussion. I have nothing of value to add. I would like to say that I agree with Frank whole heartedly. Speakers like the Arro's need a good current supply. The power ratings one reads on most manufacturers websites are meaningless without a context within which to read them. The C372 is a very good amp and will give you quite good sound. The Totems are such good speakers that they may be with you through at least one amp upgrade in the future. Enjoy!

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 746
OK Britt, sorry about that. Here's a tidbit for you. In fact it's just as easy or perhaps even easier to blow speakers with a less powerful amplifier than it is with a more powerful amp. Why is this? Let's say you have a 30w/ch amp feeding speakers that can cope with up to 80w each. If you turn up the amplifier a long way, it will start to distort significantly. Distortion is a very nasty thing for a speaker to reproduce. Eventually the amp will clip. This is when it tries to amplify a signal but literally can't go up to the peak that the signal should have so it just 'clips' the signal at its maximum output until the signal comes down. From an analogue point of view, the clip is very nasty on the speaker indeed. The distortion or the clipping can break a speaker relatively easily since it can't cope with it. Now the problem with this is that we often don't recognise system distortion from music distortion. For example, if playing rock music (which likes to be played loud of course), the guitars are usually distorted by the musicians. Now trying to understand the difference between distortion on the CD and distortion by the system is difficult for the ordinary man in the street. That's when the system plays too long while distorting and the drive units burn out.

On the other hand, a powerful amplifier will drive a speaker with great control, making the drive units move pistonically with high relative accuracy. Eventually, the signal fed into the speaker is so big that the drive units hit their end-stops, just like the suspension system bottoming out in a sharp dip in the road. Now this is much more obvious to the ordinary man in the street. There you are enjoying your rock'n'roll when suddenly there's a POP from the speaker. You stop dancing and listen for a moment and there it is again. The pop is the main drive unit hitting its end-stop. You turn it down and start trying to figure how to buy bigger speakers and then notice your ears are ringing...:-)

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 419
Britt - I have to agree with Tawaun and Frank in regards to the 320BEE and Arro combo. I've heard the combination and the Arro's do show the limitations of the 320BEE. I own the 320BEE and couldn't be happier for what I paid for it. It is a very good amp, but it is somewhat out-classed by the Arro's. Ive also heard the 352 and 372 with the Arro's. Of the three, I liked the 372 the best. It has more than enough power to drive them properly. The 352 is also a good match, but I found the 372 somewhat better. The Arro's require power and current that the 320BEE isn't quite capable of producing to get the most out of them. Had I had the money to do it, I would have bought the 372 and Totem Arro's.

Personally, I found the 320BEE/Arro combination decent - Still musical as Tawaun stated, but didn't bring out the best either component.

352 and Arro was a very good combo, but the speakers could have used a little more authority.

372 and Arro was a great combo. No one really out classed the other.

The best combo I heard - thought the amp is at least twice as much as the 372 - was the Arro's with a SimAudio Moon i3. They seemed to love each other. I wish I could have afforded that combo, but I can always play the lottery I guess.

If you are intent on the 720BEE (again, I have no complaints about the 320BEE at all for the price), you may want to look into PSB. I have the 320BEE connected to PSB Image T55's. I can honestly say I couldn't have done any better for the money, and would buy it all over again if I had to. They are very easy to drive, and have most of the charecteristics that I liked for in the Arro's. The Arro's are a big step up for the few dollars more in retail price, but they also require a lot more money in surrounding equipment to make them what they should be.

If you're intent on the Arro's, the 372 from Spearit Sound would get my vote, hands down. If you're comfortable buying from Spearit Sound - I personally don't see any reason not to be - you can get all of the performance for less money.

Others may disagree, but this is what I've found. Good luck and have fun...

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 747
Stu

Very well put. I have driven Arros with far higher end kit than the NAD stuff and they just seem to relish the extra cleaner control. Fabulous speakers when driven properly of course. Then again, it's about current since the Naim Nait5i can drive them beautifully with just 50w/ch.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 663
I agree Stu the Arro is a rare speaker at this price point.Guys its just not power or current with the Arro its Qaulity most importantlly,they are not abudget speaker,they are the most revealing speaker i know of under $10,000.They are really speacial in that regard what ever you put into them thats what you get.They are really a fascinating speaker they are like the Maggies in a lot of ways trasparencey,imaging and soundstaging and coherencey and real life size images quite amazing for a speaker that size.Where they are cost akin to these stats especially compared to the Quads is the Tone of texures is down right mindboggling,but where they are all really similar is lust for Quality and Qaunity.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 420
Frank - I think this is one of the rare speakers that is relatively affordable, yet only gets better and better as surrounding components improve. It's price is very misleading. On one hand, it can be considered a 'budget' speaker. On the other hand, it need expensive amplification to bring out it's limits - which I haven't heard yet. Not that expensive amplicication is absolutely necessary. It performs very well with NAD, which price-wise isn't in the same class as Niam, SimAudio, and so on. Very strange, but great traits for a speaker.

I think if you're just starting out and can afford upgrades in the future, the Arro's may very well be the best component - including amps, sources, etc - there is to build a system around. It's forgiving enough and priced right to be used with relatively inexpensive equipment, yet it'll cost multiples of the inexpensive gear to really hear the speaker's limitations. These speakers can probably follow you up and down the ladder to almost the extreme of each end. How many components out there can say that?

Silver Member

Post Number: 665
Yeah they are indeed gonna go down as one of the classics,I just cant say enough about them. Im starting to miss them!!!

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 753
Tawaun,

Trust me - my Totem Mani-2s aren't close to $10000 and reveal a LOT more than the Arros (and any other speaker I can think of below $10000). Of course, where the Arros work best with better systems the Mani-2s work best with even better systems (and are really hard to drive).

Stu, very true.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 668
I dissagree with you there Frank,the Arro is the most revealing speaker i know of at under $10,000.Of all the Totems the Mani-2s and the Arros and beleive it or not the Dreamcatchers share the most similarities.The Mani 2 is good as it is doesent justify its price difference over the Arros and that Tone is where the Arro seperates its self from the rest of Totems.and the fact that with the Mani 2s You need lots and lots of pwer it may be the most inefficcient speaker on the market at its coat may cause you to have to choose a Amp more Qaunity than Quality is just not worth it and the Arro still has a better tone.Not taking anything away from the Mani 2 but you need rich mans money to get the very best out of it.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 421
If you guys could jog my memory a little bit, what are the US retail prices for the Arro, and Staf, and Mani2?

Another thing that sticks out for me about Totem is that price levels and performance don't quite go hand and hand up and down the line. I think each speaker is pretty much it's own speaker, sharing little if any componentry with the others. Some models do well with some components, and not as well with others. A mid priced speaker may in fact outperform a higher priced one with different components. I personally haven't played around with enough different combos to honestly say that is true, but I've heard it often enough to say it may be substantiated.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 52
Just to put it bluntly I am soooo happy that I stumbled upon this site back in May before just buying what I was origionally looking at. I have actually bettered my selection by leaps and bounds and am going to spend less money for a better system. That to me is nothing short of pure joy to have all of you assist like this. Very very cool!

Origionally I was going to buy B&W speakers with a multichannel NAD AVR and a DVD player for 90% music 10% movies. I had plans on adding the surround sound speakers later. Now look where I am! A happy camper!

So here is the final tally.

NAD 372
NAD C542
Totem Arro in Mahogany

I'll pick up a tuner later down the road as this will likley wipe out a good portion of my budget. A better amp can be added as well down the road when I feel the upgrade bug bite. But I am hoping that this will be a really nice starter set up for me and my family to enjoy for a very reasonable amount of dough.

All I have to do now is figure out cables and speaker wire. The wire is being provided without any large charge by the shop sellingthe Arro's and is the same that they are internally wired with. I can't remember the name of the wire but they were in the Totem catalogue. Any opinions on RCA connections. Jack at Spearit has offered Kimber cables as a good affordable option. Said the silver something or other and the PB&J were nice choices. Are there specific RCA cables that work well with NAD that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Thank you again for all the help so far and the help with other questions in the future. This stuff is addictive!

Silver Member

Post Number: 670
its deffinetly true Stu I have had all the Totems in my home except for the Shamen and price has nothing to do with their performance,they are all just different.With Totem Vince Bruzzce gives you a choice of different sounds that are all great Knowonelse but but Odyssey Audio can give those choices,Which makes them totally unique companies and more speaker manufactures should be like that.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 53
Stu,

I was quoted $1195 for the Arro's this week which is the standard going rate I believe. The others I have no clue as to pricing.

Britt

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 422
Britt - I don't think you can get a better set up for the price than what you're getting. As for wires, this is a can of worms. Some people claim to hear sibtle differences at best with them. I don't think anyone here will tell that they make a night and day difference. If the store is throwing the speaker cables in at no charge, take those.

I personally don't hear any differences with speaker wires and cables. There is a difference between the $1.99 interconnects and good ones, don't get me wrong. I feel as long as they are sheilded from EMI and RFI, are durable, and have a solid connection, then their shouldn't be any difference between a $30-$40 pair and a pair costing multiples of that. Personally, I've got Monster Interlink 400's - I know how much people here hate monster and their prices, sorry. They cost me about $40 for a 1 meter pair. I've never heard EMI or RFI coming through them, look pretty durable, and fit tight onto the inputs on my amp. I could have probably found a comparable pair for a few bucks cheaper, but I'm not complaining.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my belief. This is probably the most contraversial topic in audio. If you're on the fence, try reading about the topic in audioholics.com. They present it in a scientific fashion.

Again, great choice in gear!!!

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 423
That's what I thought they sold for (the Arro's). Thanks Britt.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 424
Britt - I don't know if you've looked into it, but the NAD tuner is $299.

Silver Member

Post Number: 671
I still have the W.B.T. BiWire cable and interconnects from Totem the biwre is $750 and the intreconnects are $260 and it works better with the Arro than anything else.Expensive yes but its total harmony,Vince said the Arro is the most revealing speaker he makes and those wires make the biggest difference on them more than any other Totem.Im stll trying to sellmy wires.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 54
Stu and Tawaun,

So if I ask my local dealer by email for all three pieces for $1600.00 after TX tax of 8.25 would that be a reasonable offer for all three pieces or not? I know that there is some wiggle room but I don't know how to ask for it without coming across as a jerk. I don't want to burn any bridges since this store is really a better place for serious help when it all comes down assistance. Too bad they don't sell Totem speakers.

372 700ish
C542 500
AM/FM tuner 300

Thoughts?

Thanks ahead.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 101
Britt.. can't help you on the pricing, but just wanted to say I agree with Stu on the cables/wires... I can tell the difference between the cheap junk and cables of decent quality, but i've never been able to hear the difference between a $30 and $300 cable. And if you subscribe to that theory as well, TigerDirect has some great prices on IXOS cables right now... looks like they might be closing them out. Good luck... you're gonna love that combo.

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 27
Frank Abela: are the Mani's really worth the premium? That is an insane amount to pay for books, even by my "odd priorities" standards. I've never had a chance to hear them.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 942
I heard a set on Mac tubes and they were glorious!

Silver Member

Post Number: 684
Frosty If you have the power than it is,thats if you prefer their sound over the Arros.I dont but thats my opinion,system matching is the most important thing anyway.For the Arros you are gonna spend more than the speakers to get the most out of them anyway and even more for the Mani 2.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 61
Hey guys,

Well I got an email today stating that the price for the Arro's was actually $1395.00 US with an apology for quoting the incorrect price. Does this sound too high? If so are there any reputable sites online where I could find some for a better deal than that? Thanks for any help as a $200.00 bump is a bit annoying. I can see paying $1200.00 for them but not $1400.00. Even a wagonload of wire would not suffice. Thanks for any help with some retailers online that you guys have used in the past. Anyone ever use Audiogon to buy anything? Is this site on the up and up or do folks get burned like on EBay?

Thank you much for any help.

Britt

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 29
1395 is too high. They cost that here in Canadian funds =) (unless of course you want maple or cherry, which carry about a $~200 upcharge)

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 62
Thanks Frosty. I found two pair on Audiogon. One for $595 and one for $750 not including shipping. Both are mahogany in stain. Either sounds like a good deal when comparing to the $1400 quoted to me today. I am sure that there are folks though that walk into a store and pay whatever is asked of them. I just am not that kind of person. I want the best deal from a reputable source and I will spend plenty of "time" and not money to find what I am looking for.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 765
Frosty,

In my view, the Mani-2s are amazing, but I would say that wouldn't I? I bought a pair! :-)

Seriously, the Mani-2s really are a stunning speaker. I disagree vehemently with Tawaun that they are not worth the premium over the Arros. In my view, the Arro is a wonderful speaker with great attributes. In its price range it is very hard to beat. However, in an appropriate system, the Mani-2s bring whole layers of information out which escape the Arros completely, they go far deeper than the Arros and have a much better controlled treble too.

Now when I say appropriate system I agree and accept what has been said about the Mani-2s propensity to drink amplifier power and requirement for fidelity in the chain. If you look at my public profile (by clicking on my name above) you'll see that I have indeed got an appropriate system with 350w/ch into 8 ohms and 620w/ch into 4 ohms - and yes those numbers are RMS! - and at least one fidelity source (vinyl, I'm working towards a decent digital source). In this system the Arros sound pretty amazing, but when the Manis are brought into the equation, the system's performance achieves a completely different level.

As Tawaun says, this is a system matching issue. The Arros are more adaptable to more systems, but in the right system the Manis cream anything else I've heard (and I've heard quite a few).

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 429
Britt - I have seen the Arro's for $1200 and $1400. The difference is that they charge $200 more for Mahogany. Why this is, I don't know. I don't think that they are trying to scam you, I think they made an honest mistake. Come to think of it, one of the professional reviews on this site mentioned it too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 707
They charge $200 for the cherry not the mahagany or black $200 for the beach to.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 959
I have Totems, and I choose the Mahogany. They had Cherry at the store, but since these guys finish their speakers so nice, it didn't seem worth the extra money to get cherry or maple. These speakers are finished like fine furniture.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 64
I just received an email from Totem. According to them the Arcam A65 would better power the Arro's than the NAD C372. This was a bit of a suprise to me. They also mentioned the Sugden A21 and the Unison Unico as being two other amp options.

Tawaun, didn't you say something about the Unison amp? They look a bit pricey. I am trying to put everything together for $3000US out the door. I did not get to hear the A65 at KCaudio but from what I hear it is a good piece of equiptment. If the manufacturer says the NAD gear is not the way to go do I take that with a grain of salt or take advise from someone I would assume knows what they are talking about. How well would a NAD C542 pair up with the Arcam or should I keep within the Arcam family if I get their amp. Their CD player was $700 if I remember correctly which is considerably more than the NAD C542. So the Arcam amp must put out enough current and drive to satisfy the Arros. I will have a listen over the weekend to see if this is so.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 65
Ok I would like a vote!

System A
Arcam A65 (integrated amp)
NAD C542 (cd player)
NAD C422 (tuner)
Totem Arro
Total system price before tax (US$)
$2600
total assuming that mahagony does not cost $200.00 premium.

System B
NAD C720BEE
NAD C542
Rega R5's
Total system price (US$)
$2300.00

I am currently leaning towards A but I really would not mind some other votes besides myself. A simple "A" of "B" would be nice but any other thoughts as to why you would vote either way would be great as well. Thanks:-) The extra dough saved on "B" would be eaten up by local shopping venues and not by me if you get my drift.

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 30
System "A" Your wife can wait 'til Christmas to get that Louis Vuitton handbag ;o)

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 67
"Lois Vuitton" would cost more than "B" if I remember the price tag the last time I was in Neiman's.

:-O

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 961
I try and stay way from "Needless Markup" when possible.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 432
Britt - I can't give an A or B system vote because I haven't heard either combination exactly as you would have them set up. I'm surprised by what Totem said about the 372.

I would take what Totem said with a grain of salt. No one knows Totem speakers better than Totem, don't get me wrong; but everywhere I've seen Totems sold (only two places though) they've also sold Arcam. This may mean that they refer each other's products back and forth. Maybe it's not the case and the two places I've seen them are coincidental. It may be like the Rotel - B&W connection, Onkyo - Bose connection (I can't believe I've thrown those two names in here), and so on.

I think the 372 is a far better amp than the A65. I could see a comparison between the A65 and 352, but I don't think anyone here will argue that the A65 is a better amp than the 372. I would take the 352 over the A65 any day, but that's more a matter of personal preference. I've heard the Arro's being driven by all three NAD's, the A65 and the next Arcam up (A80?). The A80 was better than the 372. It's more expensive and doesn't really try to compete against the 372. The 372 is more expensive and is 3x as powerful (wattage wise) as the A65. While I would listen to the arguement that the A65 is better than the 352, I wouldn't give any credibility to the arguement that Arcam's 40 watts are better and more powerful than NAD's 120 watts. That just seems absurd to me. I know that power - especially in watts - doesn't mean much when comparing from company to company and watts aren't the only thing associated with power, but both companies are very reputable when it comes to rating perfromance of their products. These aren't 120 Sony watts vs Arcam's 40 watts.

Personally, I would stick to the original set up - 372, 542, 422, and Arro's, but that's just me.

I haven't heard the A65 and 542 combo to comment on that, but I've heard that NAD's go best with NAD's.

PS - Will your wife know the difference between the real bags and knock off's? That could save you a few bucks, and make you the husband of the year if you can pull it off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 708
Frank for me the top end is to controlled on the Mani 2s,maybe its thte metal dome from Seas which the Forest,Rainmaker,Model 1,Wind,all have it and it took brassyness away from the alto sax and trumpet.Actually it kind of turned me against Seas tweaters,the Epiphony has the soft dome versions and like them a lot.I was very dissatisfied with those perticular instruments on those 4 speakers,and the Forrest was really lifeless in its production,of the 4 the Rainmaker played them the best,but none of them could approach the way the Arro played those instruments much better scale,athourity,and realism.

Bronze Member
Username: Rikmeister

Hometown, Pa Usa

Post Number: 35
have you thought about an oppo dvd player. or is it just for music. i would also look on audiogon for amps. and if you clik the right thing you can search all the audigon stores for their sales and demo items. takes a while but there are some good deals there. I would get the best amp and the best speakers and add the rest later if you could. have you looked at vienna acoustics or quad or energy veritas. aslo paradigm studios.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1998
It looks like a pet mouse might tip those things over. You better nail them down.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 68
Hey Paul,

They weigh very little. 45 pounds of lead shot or 20-25 pounds of sand are needed to make them more stable sitting on the floor. On the back of the Arro's there is a hole where the shot or sand can be inserted and it fills an area of the cabinet specifically set aside for sand or shot. Without weighing these babies down my babies (3.5 year old and a soon to be walking 1 year old) would easily knock them over. I am going with the lead shot unless for some reason lead shot would mess with the magnets up higher. I don't thing lead would cause an accoustic issue and would give me the most weight and stability for the least amount of size. It will just be pricy as the lead will run me about $45.00 for 90 pounds when I priced it out at Home Depot. But with the speakers then weighing in at 65 pounds each with most of that weight on the very bottom of the speaker cabinet there will be little to worry about with an accidental fall.

Britt

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 69
Rik,

I have a DVD player but am looking for a dedicated CD player. I have heard Quad and Paradigm out of the 4 mentioned. The other two are not sold at either local HIFI store in my area. Thanks for the ideas.

Britt

Bronze Member
Username: Gtsum

VA

Post Number: 39
Britt,

Go with the lead shot to load the cabinets. This will tighten up your bass, and open up the sound. I did the same thing with my Von Schweikert's and the difference was quite apparent. Good luck
Shaun

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 72
Calling all ears,

Any thoughts about two other Reciever options. As posted in the wife thread mine is not caring for the NAD units "drab and boring" I believe is what I got over the weekend when we went to go listen. So far she likes the Arcam Solo and the Rotel 1052 with the matching CDP 1072. To be honest fellas making a small sacrafice by allowing for her to have a good deal of input to a point is what it is all about. If you understand can I get an Amen! Anyway. The Solo was hooked up to a pair of Totem Rainmakers that sounded really nice for an all-in-one system. The Rotel to me sound really similar to the NAD gear. A little smoother than NAD and not quite as "live" of a presentation but still a wonderful overall sound. The problem this brings up is that the Arro's will want more power than what the Solo can provide and the Rotel may be a bit weak for them as well. Sooo....my search is still on for the system that will win her heart/eyes/ears and my ears as well. I am going in tomorrow to listen to Spendor S5e floorstanders with the Rotel. There are also a set of used ProAc's there that they I will listen to for the fun of it even though they are out of my range. The NAD gear is no longer an option so this may change a few things around.

Anyone else have any experience with the Rotel 1052 and the CDP1072? How bout the Arcam Solo? Thanks for any input!

Her current favorite...

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 997
It looks like a pet mouse might tip those things over. You better nail them down.

That's a bit extreme isn't it Nail them down, good lord no....

I think the look the part, for listening what's the technical specifications on them.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2064
Britt,
Is your wife an audio enthusist who knows of what she speaks, or is she simply a 'tag along' spouse adding her two cents regarding something she knows absolutely nothing about??

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 73
Actually Paul got this one right. They are really tippy. I mean walking on stilts would feel more stable. But with 45 pounds of lead shot they become seriously sturdy since all the shot is at the very bottom of the cabinet.

Here are the specs cribbed from Totem's site.

Arro Specifications:

Frequency Response 40 Hz to 20 kHz ± 3 dB with proper room positioning
Impedance 4 ohms
Sensitivity 87 dB
Power 80 W max. program
Crossover 2.4 kHz 2nd order linkwitz-riley (optimized)
Woofer 4 1/2" sandwich cone double magnet
Tweeter impregnated textile dome 3/4" (low resonance freq.)
Max SPL's In average size listening room:
103 dB peak (12' x 15') from pair at 2 m
Dimensions w 5 x d 7 x h 34"
w 127 x d 178 x h 864 mm

Gold Member

Post Number: 2068
Max SPL's In average size listening room:
103 dB peak (12' x 15') from pair at 2 m
===============
The many bookshelf lovers would lead you to believe that distance from speakers and room size mean absolutely nothing:-)

If a speaker has a certain effeciency rating, it can automacally produce as much sound as a speaker 4 times it's size with a similar rating.

Silver Member

Post Number: 731
I wouldnt put lead shot in them but i can understand if you have kids.Vince says they sound better without leadshot I never put any in mine,if you need to a few people said about 12 pounds a speaker because the lead actually affects the midrange balance.so be careful with the leadshot it could change the sound,no disrespect to the Von Shweikert the Arros are sensitive to every change in the system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1010
Upload

Why not go down to the beach and bag up some sand, and take it and fill them up, job done.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 203
LOL Andy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1011
Guys,

Sorry you have to admit that was damn funny.....

Maybe for some of you, you can leave the miss out there at the same time, there job done.......

LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1017
Every time I look at this I'm pissing myself LOL big time....

Why not go down to the beach and bag up some sand, and take it and fill them up, job done.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 76
Tawaun,

I have not heard about the lead having this effect but if Vince says it then it must be so... I'll see ya on the beach:-) I'll use sand. It is cheaper anyway.

Britt

Gold Member

Post Number: 2074
Or you can take it to the sink, and fill it with water.

LOL

Is this speaker designed to be filled? It sounds like a rediculous thing to do. Wont you ruin the sound characteristics??

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 791
The Arro has a separate compartment in its base which can be filled. I admit that I have not tried this.

Britt, of your A vs B comparison I'd have neither. I don't think the A65 is a good enough amp for the job and I sell Arcam too. Truth be told, I think the A65 is the lemon in the Arcam camp. There is no Arcam/Totem concorde here in the UK.

I have not tried the Solo with the Arros. I would have thought they would cause the Solo a fair bit of hard work which it doesn't like. If I get a chance, I'll try the combination out on Saturday.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 79
The more we talk about this speaker the more I am getting frustrated. Is the frustration a part of the fun?

OK I am open for options now so I will duck away for a day and wait for opinions.

If you had a budget limit of 3 grand to build the best sounding system what would it be. New or used is fine but if used try to provide an Audiogon link or a link to another similar site justifying the price point. Guys I really am trying to build the best sounding system possible for this amount of dough. Can this be done for this amount of money or should I direct the bulk of it towards just one piece and then add another down the line. For example pick up a great Integrated Amp now and a CDP and then in a couple of years fork over the money for good speakers. I just feel like each option is met with a shake of the head by someone either on this forum or in the store. Just too many variables to be able to make an easy decision.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts as I REALLY appreciate any help at this point.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2082
Britt,
If I suddenly found myself without speakers, and had a $3000 budget to replace them, this is what I would buy.
http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=444&it emType=PRODUCT&iProductID=444
http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=434&it emType=PRODUCT&iProductID=434
I'd buy the front/center now, and add surrounds at a later date.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 793
Paul,

He doesn't have 3 grand for the speakers, he has 3 grand for the whole system. Different game methinks?

Britt,

Sorry about the frustration. Not intended. The process should be fun. It's a shame the wife shot down the NAD kit since I think you were nearly there with that option. Ah well, such is life! :-) I will have difficulty helping you now since I am based in the UK and not so sure of what your prices are - trust me when I say there are huge discrepancies when crossing the Atlantic. I will try by trying comparisons which I think may be in the ballpark.

Given that the wife likes the look of the Solo, it may be an idea to try to match a pair of freestanding speakers (25ft to back wall right?) to the Solo. The wife disapproves of the B&W 700 and 800 look. This is no big deal since the Solo can't drive them. Does she disapprove of the 600 series look too? May be worth checking out. Not the same class of speaker as the Arro but not bad.

Is Kef in your area? Kef speakers are good looking. I'm thinking of the iQ series (improved Q series). They're not bad too.

Focal JmLab Chorus range. There's a nice speaker range with decent quality sound and I think good looks (but beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course).

The Quads are easy to drive (not my taste musically) and beautifully finished.

The others will mention local brands of which I know nothing such as Paradigm, Ascend, Axiom. Worth a look I guess.

regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 82
Hey Frank,

Today I will have the opportunity to listen to a couple of different combinations. All of these will be with the Rotel 1052. The Arcam will be offered at another store so I will not have another chance to try it out for a few weeks.

The different speakers that will be auditioned today will be Spendor S5e, Rega R5's (again) and Paradigm. I will have to try and see if Kef is offered in my local area to audition. The room is actually large because it is the kitchen/den andthe breakfast nook all rolled up in one room. Frank, since you are in the UK maybe you have spent some time listening to the Rega loudspeakers. Other than room placement with side firing drivers for the woofer they really seem to be a nice deal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 735
Britt the Spendors are very good indeed,pretty similar sound to the Arros,I dont know which one I would prefer I do know its not as fussy as the Arro though,but it still needs good gear to go with it Frank may know more about their sound,I only heard them on a short demo.Stay away from the Arcam 65 its underpowered and overpriced and very weak in the bass,thats one amp I dont like check out the Creek 50ir or the smaller Unison Unico,or perferrably the Musical Fidelity X-150 it has 50 to 75 peak current amps and it is the amp I currently have now,It will drive anything,I wish I had it when I had my Arros

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 83
Unreal!!! I have found the pairing that absolutly is the perfect fit. It is about $1500.00 above my budget but I will just have to find the money or wait to buy the CDP until Christmas. The spouse has given it the nod of approval but to be honest with all of you I would have to leave her on the beach if she did not agree. ;-)

Rotel 1052
Rotel 1072
ProAc Studio 140's

As I said this setup is over budget but is the best sound that I have heard flat out that is anywhere in my price range. Thanks for all the recomendations but the sound coming from the ProAc's was just so natural and energetic. Yes they are a different kind of speaker than Totem Arro's but the best thing is both of us lit up when hearing this combo. I just need to dig a bit deeper than I thought. I have fallen under the ProAc spell and I am staying there for good. Time to cash in the mutual fund and now that old annuity as well. Should take about 2 weeks to get the checks in the mail and then I am off to the store. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 742
Which Pro Ac Britt?

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 84
They just came out on January 31st. They are called the Studio 140. No reviews on them yet since they are so new. Here is a link to the Pro Ac page at least providing a little bit of infomration on them.

http://www.proac-loudspeakers.com/studio140.php

I hope this helps some. They were easily driven by the Rotel gear and the neutral sound of the Rotel amp really complemented the Pro Ac's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 743
Ok ok I seen something about them about a month ago.Whats the price on them?

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 85
I believe they are $2800.00 but I really can't remember "hearing" much of anything that the salesman was saying after they were hooked up. Maybe it was all the speaker and I am giving the Rotel too much credit but the two really worked well together. It comes in a mahogany finish that my wife would approve so that is a good thing. I may have to save for a few more months to get this set up but the difference in sound from any other speaker in the store and the ProAc's were so very noticable. They are a bit bigger than what I was thinking about getting but the large room will work well with their overall size. If you have spent time with the ProAc Response 2.5's or now the 25's these are shorter and smaller in every dimension but they are taller than the Spendor S5e's that I listened to. The Spendor's sounded really soft and very mellow. If I had to define what the sounded like to me they were very lush and full. We had to drive them with Naim amp and CDP but I am sure that the Rotel gear would sound similar on them. It was just hard to get excited about the sound. After hearing the ProAc's I left the store thinking "now how am I going to pull this one off". :-) The ProAc's after tax are what my origional budget were for everything...

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 804
Britt

Glad to hear you're sorted out. I am not a fan of ProAc myself, but if they pressed your buttons that's what it's about! Glad to hear you and she agreed on it too. Nothing like domestic harmony to make a hefty purchase lighter.

I've looked at the website and the ProAcs look really easy to drive, which is a good thing. The Rotels are nicely made and have good drive so they will make a good match. All you need do now is to STAY AWAY from the forum since people will disagree with your choice and/or put more ideas in your head! :-)

Oh and you need to save up - have you got a piggy bank yet?

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 86
Hehe.. Thanks for the feedback Frank. I have a few things that are being liquidated today to fit the origional budget. The rest will come from another source. Unfortunatly this means no Christmas present for me and since my birthday is in December as well this will be apart of that as well. Really though I don't mind since the sound was absolutly the best I have heard so far. The forum is a great place to learn and I appreciate everyones help. I will continue to lurk and post when questions arise. The interconnect cables for the CDP to the receiver are going to be included with no charge as well as the speaker wire needed. They will even come and set up at my house and test everything to make sure it all sounds perfect before I am done. The same salesman that has helped me from day one is the same one that will come to the house to set everything up. I am feeling so pampered! I guess this thread will probably die now as it is no longer about the Arro's. Silly to think about this but it would have cost me more $$$ to properly drive the Arro's as opposed to the $$$ I am spending on the ProAc's. Either way to enjoy the sound I was looking for and trying to stay within the budget was just not cutting the mustard. I was hoping to still pick up a ding a ling set for the bedroom. Guess that won't be happening now...

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 36
This thread has had me thinking for a few days now.
I decided to pay the Arro's another visit this morning. I thought I'd refresh my memory and once again hear what they had to say. This was the inevitable result, my new livingroom additions =D

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 799
Frosty they do speak magical music dont they,Congrats they are speacial though!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1206
Why not, cut a small slot into the loudspeaker, wide enough for money to be feed into it, it will be your very own loudspeaker piggy bank, and within a few years time, it will be worth its weight in sound....

There Job done.

Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 87
Very cool Frosty! Congrats on the purchase! The Arro's are fantastic indeed. :-)

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 57
Thanks Britt =) I'm really enjoying them so far. It's comforting to think that: as the budget allows, they will sound better and better as I continue to upgrade and use better quality components behind them.

Any word on the ProAc's yet?

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 88
Saving money for another month since it was over the origional budget. It will be worth the wait.

Unregistered guest
Where can I buy new or used Totem Arros in the UK??

Anybody selling a pair?

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 61
http://www.joenit.com/en/

That site will give you a list of UK retailers w/their addresses and phone numbers.

Anonymous

Well clearly my NAD 712 will not drive my new Arro's. It did a wonderful job with my old S1 JBL monitors; but those are very efficient speakers. Without reading prior discussions about which 2-channel receivers pair up best with Arro's, what do you people recommend? Vintage equipment? My music is all over the map but primarily jazz and classical. Let's keep price under $1k. Thanks for your help.

Silver Member

NYC, NY

Post Number: 535
Try reading the above posts. We'd need a lot more information before giving a strong opinion or recommendation. One route to consider - You could use the 712 as a pre-amp, and add a power amp like the NAD C272. That retails for about $700. You'd connect the power amp to the pre-out section in the back of the 712. I only mention this because you have NAD gear already. There are plenty of other power amps out there for under $1000, and many intergated amps under your budget as well.

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 62
Tawaun and anyone else who might know - have you tried the Arro's with any Bryston gear? I was looking at the specs for the B-60R integrated, and on paper it looks like it's up to the challenge. I'm curious if anyone has any real world feedback though?

Anonymous

Good morning. Stu and Frosty, thanks both for your comments. I've read back over the prior posts--and generally like older NAD components but not the newer amps. Too bright for the Arros, IMHO. I've heard the Arros with Music Hall Mambo--great sound. So I'm looking at the Music Hall receiver, called Maven. But the problem--again--is that the power numbers (100 wpc) are > than Totem calls for (80 wpc). (And Totem has responded to my post with a firm comment not to exceed that 80 number. Rather get high-end equipment that throws honest power. Is this the typical conservative rap of company talk?) Frankly, I've never been able to interpret these numbers, nor the relationship between power and current that several mention. Should I be worried about Maven's elevated power numbers? Now I'm running gun-shy. Does anyone out there have an opinion of Music Hall's Maven paired with Arros? Thanks again.

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 66
I am VERY surprised that Totem said not to exceed the 80 watt mark. Maybe they stated that because if they recommend a more powerful amp and you take out a driver, they would feel partially at fault? In general terms it better to have more power on tap than necessary. It's much easier to destroy a tweeter with a clipped signal on a transient peak with an underpowered amp, than it is to outright overpower them.

I've heard the Arro's driven to their absolute limit, and when you go past that limit, the woofer will let you know with a nasty snapping sound as it crashes into the stop.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2453
They sound like the perfect girlyman speakers for a music snob nibbling on cheese.

Not only are they inefficient, but they cant handle any power........LOL

How exciting.

Anonymous

Paul Paul Paul, how's our favorite RETARD today?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1983
Geez Paul, you need help fast...

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 67
Hmm maybe you're right Paul. Maybe I should get some CV's so I can really "rock out", you know?
Put a hat on backwards, crack a couple beers open with my teeth, and destroy my ears with some AC/DC at 115dB?

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 208
I've never heard Cerwin Vega speakers so I can't comment on them. However, I did happen to run across a few comments from others:

"Cerwin Vega's have always been known as speakers for headbangers and heavy metal fans as they are very boomy and not detailed at all. I have never recommended them to anyone seriously interested in quality reproduction." therealelitefan, ecoustics.

"Cerwin Vegas are party speakers. If you want to have a block party or something and (with a good amp) be able to hear them a mile away inside a deli, get them. If you want quality, I recommend looking elsewhere.. " Thasp, unregistered guest, ecoustics

"Cerwin Vega - Great Party speakers for the clumsy redneck in all of us, or the drunk frat boy." LiterLeaner, SportBike.com

"As much as I hate to 'dis THOR, his suggestion that the CV D-9 would be a good party speaker is a bad one. Y'see the pair I bought for $10 (mortally wounded) had rotted woofer foam, four dead midranges and melted level pots. The quality of the parts was absolute CRAP. Cheap wire, cheap tweeters, cheap midranges. Whoever owned these used them as party speakers and they did not survive the experience. This is my only experience with CVs, YMMV. The others THOR suggested may be of better build quality." Gonzothegreat, AudioKarma.org

"Actually Cerwin Vega are DJ Speakers. :D They are definitly not Home Audio. . . " Omnifex, diyAudioForums.com

". . .for that money you could prob find some ridiculous cerwin vega speakers that would do the job..... you wouldnt even have to build anything! :grin: " buns, AVForums.com

"Cerwin-Vega has a reputation of producing Boom-Boom party speakers (& for that use they are fine), But if you want a more refined speaker you really need to look elsewhere." 3dss-forums.com

"I pretty much put Cerwin & KLH on the same level." Jamiee, 3dss-forums.com

"I usually refer to them as great college party speakers. They play really loud, have tons of bass and are just the thing for a good rowdy party where all anyone cares about is the quantity of sound." Michael_Hml, Hometheaterforum.com

I didn't do any searches on Paul's other speaker brand. I really didn't think it was necessary; we all know about the quality of Bose.

Does anyone really think that Paul is the best source of advice on quality speakers? C'mon, all those who believe Paul's advice on home theater speakers has merit, please jump right on in.

There is one sycophant on this forum that I would be surprised if he didn't jump in. Numerous of his posts begin, "Paul's right."

Silver Member

Post Number: 1000
I would look into the Odyssey Khartigo amp the very best amp you can get in that pricerange and then some.The Arros love power I dont know why Totem told you that,I've never heard them or Vince say anything like that,the Khartigo amp costs $775 and the Preamp(Estaban) I think you can get both for a shade under a grand,check it out www.odysseyaudio.com

Anonymous

Thanks everybody. I continue to be puzzled by the distinction some make between power and current. I suspect this is an important distinction when talking about highly inefficient speakers such as the Arros. In fact, the TEAC receiver that currently drives my Arros has enough "power" when measured by wpc but the sound is so thin and tinny that I need to turn the thing off after about 15 minutes--hurts the ears if not the soul. In any case, I gather that some amps/receivers may not deliver a high number of wpc but they deliver a high number of amps and this is good. Am I right about this? Could someone explain why this is so? Thanks again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2461
I wouldnt worry about that if I was you. The best thing you can do for your system is to purchase a pair of inefficient speakers in the 80'ish db range, and then couple them with the inability to handle any decent power. Once you have that, woah... you'll be set.

Bronze Member

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 90
Anonymous,

If you want the right kind of power for the Arro's without breaking the $800.00 limit then you can definitly try out the refurbished NAD C372 that is for sale up at Spearit Sound. Jack is easy to deal with over email or by phone and they are very customer service oriented. Or when the Arcam A85 comes up on Audiogon it really will make the Arro's sing as well from what Totem informed me by email. I had to find a different combo that did not include the Arro's due to the fact that we listen to FM and AM radio in the same listening area. See the problem for me is that I could not find a Stereo receiver on the market that was worthy of the Arro's without blowing the budget for that one componet. So I took a different path. The Unison Unico is supposed to also be impressive with the Arro's. There is a review that is linked off of Ecoustics for this combo. Tawaun has already mentioned Odysseyaudio and Stu mentioned the 272. If I had to make a choice between all of the different options before you now I would probably go with the C272 amp and call Jack at Spearit to see if he has a refurbished unit. There is not one on his site but call to see if one is still available. This would definitly be the right kind of current and power for the Arro's and the NAD sould really would work well IMO.

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/c372.asp

If you are a bit leary about a refurbished unit from NAD click on the word refurbished on the link. It will give you a run down of what goes into a refurbished unit. Personally from NAD I would rather have a refurbished unit rather than a new one. Not only do you get a discounted price but you get a unit that has now been triple checked for issues versus a new one that was most likely just checked over once by someone over in China. I'm not trying to drum up business for this one store but they were impressive to work with over the phone and by email. There are other sites I am sure but these guys were the most customer service oriented for long distance.

Bronze Member

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 69
"I wouldnt worry about that if I was you. The best thing you can do for your system is to purchase a pair of ugly, gargantuanly proportioned speakers and then couple them with the inability to deliver any sort of imaging or soundstage. Once you have that, woah... you'll be set to rock out."

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us