Multi cd players with good sound?

Username: Ventolin68

Post Number: 1
I want to buy a new multi CD player, but I've heard that in general the sound is much weaker than on single CD players.

Is this always the case, or are there exceptions to the rule?
(And are the prices for those possible exceptions much higher than for the avarage multi cd player?)

(Please forgive me for my inadequate English.)

Anonymous

Marantz CC-4300 sounds good for the money.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1480
I concur with the last post. Tha Marantz CC4300 is about the best buy in a changer that I know of. I still prefer single disc players. I believe that NAD C521BEE sounds better and costs about the same.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 758
Do you have to buy a multi-changer? They're far less reliable than single-disc CD players. If you really want something that will play a lot of discs, you'd be far better off using something like an iPod.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 702
The multi discs dont sound much better than a Quality dvd or sacd player in stereo and in some cases a sacd player will out perform them ,and as Frank said they are not very reliable.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1555
I also liked the Marantz 4300, you can get it refurb for $129 from accessories4less.com with 1 year Marantz warranty.

Supposedly Marantz's single CDP the 5400 has had more reliability problems, interestingly enough. Might be a Marantz quirk, because it does make sense to me that more moving parts = more risk of mechanical failure.

Username: Stradivari

Post Number: 4
Tawaun, the McIntosh MCD205 is very good actually.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1523
I would never buy a CD changer from an online source. When they are broke they are usually broke from the get go. Buy from a brick and mortar store and it's an easy return, if you don't...good luck. Honestly, I don't advocate online buying of audio gear in general. I would be even more wary buying a changer online.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1559
All depends on the dealer, I always use resellerratings.com and bbb.org to check them out. Never had a problem with online audio gear, and even if I did the hundreds and hundreds of dollars I've saved by going online for most of my needs makes the (minimal) risk worthwhile IMHO.

Now of course if I had Art's deep pockets and mellow wife I might change my tune too... ; )

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Australia

Post Number: 2199
I'll vouch for the CC4300. I got one for a very good price and the sound quality belies the fact that it is a 5 disc changer. I feel it pips the redbook cd playback by our Denon DVD-2900 and especially so for bass.

Whether or not changers are less reliable, I wouldn't know, except I had a Yamaha CD changer that was used extensively for over 6 years and only recently developed a little quirk in the random play. So I sold it and got the Marantz (which kills the yammie soundwise!).

Gold Member

Post Number: 1564
The 4300 edges out the 2900? Wow, that's quite a claim. I haven't heard the 2900 myself but up until now have not heard of anyone not being impressed by it other than Art.

I found the 4300 to be very interesting, it had a very strong rhythm and pacing, and yep great bass too. My only concern was if the crispness can become fatiguing over extended periods of listening.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2200
Through the Marantz Sr-7300 and B&W 602's I find the 4300's high end clean - maybe crisp, but in a realistic way. Not fatiguing for me at all. Saying the 4300 pips the 2900 may be a bit strong. With the mids and highs I'd say they are on par. For those who don't fancy a fuller bass the Denon may be preferable, but I wouldn't say the 4300 overdoes the bass - only I think it has it right.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1525
Deep pockets...lol! Edster, what you don't belive me or what (laughs)? I told you long ago that a dedicated cd player, even a mediocre performer like the CC4300, will out perform all but the most expensive universals.

My wife knew that I was an audiophile when we got together. Any attempt to change me would lead to a quick parting of the ways. Music is #1 in my life as it has sustained me through thick and thin.

BTW the CC4300 is not crisp in fact it is a very warm sounding CD player something else in the chain was causing the brightness.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1572
Art,

> Music is #1 in my life as it has sustained me through thick and thin.

I can totally relate to that. Though the periods when music was the most important lifesaver to me were when I was listening to it through the worst gear: boomboxes, cassette walkmans, bargain basement components, minisystems, etc. Now that I finally have a half-decent system I actually find myself too busy to listen more than maybe an hour a day if I'm lucky, LOL!

Yeah I may have misused the word "crisp"---I was trying to describe how musical notes on the 4300 come out very distinctly from each other...as if there was some sort of clear separation between one note and the next at the same time that the succession of notes seemed very energetic and lifelike, especially mid-bass.

I certainly did not think of "crisp" as being synonymous with "bright" but then again my grasp of the audio lexicon is fairly primitive.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2206
"Music is #1 in my life as it has sustained me through thick and thin."

Art, I feel sorry for you - But more so for your wife.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1531
I wouldn't MR. I'm probably the happiest person you know.

2 things sustained through the hardest times of my life. One was music. When I was a child growing up in an extremely violent household (my mother has done time in some big time prisons and is violent beyond belief)I found that music comforted me. I started buying records when I was 6 yrs old and had my first component hifi when I was 13. My Father had been a tap dancer in an earlier life and was friends with the likes of Earl "Fatha" Hines. Later as my life went through it's own ups and downs music has always been there.

The other thing was basketball. I had an accident when I was a child and lost the use of arms, I couldn't even feed myself. I rehabbed myself at the playground going from not even being able to hold the ball to being the the best one-on-one player that I know. Later when I was 21 I was a passenger in a car accident and broke my back, and again it was basketball that brought me back. I had a winning streak of 30 yrs which included a couple of NBA players and whole lot of college players. I never did lose I just got old and quit playing.

So MR don't waste anytime feeling sorry for me and mine, we're fine.

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 771
Art,

I sit here slack-jawed and in awe...seriously.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2208
Same here Art - that's a heroic tale. But still - if the woman you marry isn't #1 in your life, my previous comment holds. Maybe we just have different values.

And I do love my music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1581
Art,

wow. I guess I can understand now why you're so relentless in seeking the best possible sound.

I disagree with MyRantz, I don't see marriage as a religion...the person you marry is an important PART of your life but doesn't have to be ALL of your life. That sounds like a romantic cliche to me that can cause all sorts of problems in real life.

In my personal experience I find that the "Trinity" model of relationships is definitely the way to go: there has to be 3 people equally balanced---you, your partner, and the "we" when you two are together.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1582
PS. The closest thing to music getting me through hell was the 2 years I spent teaching in Saudi Arabia, that and working out were the only two things that kept me sane.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1253
My hat's off to you Art!

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 124
well spoken..and WELL DONE!
Art is the type of guy I see on tv specials, and leave me cheering for the guy!

Kudos

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1533
Thanks guys. I only tell what I feel I have to in response to someone. There is a whole lot more to the story than that.

My wife and family are precious to me and I hope you all understand that.

MR - I can't respond how I feel about your values comment because I like you. When I first read it I was a little steamed. Everyday I give back to society through my work. Most of you have seen my salary and know that I don't do it for the money. I'm ok with my values, as I'm sure you are with yours. I'm also sure that you are a fine man. We just disagree a bit on this.

Now back to CD players.

Last Rantz
Unregistered guest
Art,

I have cancelled my membership with this forum for a few reasons, one of them being the time I once had will now be for other things - the others are based on some personalities that I no longer care to communicate with. So any more postings from me will be rare.

But let me say that the feeling is mutual and that I have much respect for you (even more so now) and that your contributions here should be welcomed by all.

My comments are simply how I am so I apologise for judging based upon my values. You seem like a very decent person and I wish you and yours all the best.

MR

Silver Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 779
Yeah Art so if music is so important to you what are you doing playing around with namby-pamby NAD??? :-)

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1536
It's that blasted social worker salary Frank :-).

MR - I understand your frustration with this forum as I too have been close to moving on. I just have not found another with the same level of spontaneity and camraderie that I have found here. Even though we have disagreed occasionally I have always respected the way in which you disagree. I hope we hear from you more often than you are currently anticipating but if not, keep enjoying the music and many blessings to you and your family.

Art

Mr Rants
Unregistered guest
Re Post by My Rantz:

Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 12:34 am:

I must right a wrong. In stating the Marantz CC-4300 pipped my Denon DVD-2900 on 2 channel CD playback was incorrect. When I performed the comparison I still had the crossovers set to 80hz on the 2900 which is why I perceived poorer performance on the low end.

Having removed the crossover and run another comparison test I found the 2900 outperformed the Marantz by a small yet discerable margin. Both players sound very nice.

I had the chance to audition the Denon DVD-3910 with the Denon Link connection to their new A11XV (the 4806 in the US I think) outputting to B&W 604 S3's. The Denon Link software on the 3910 was not yet installed, so we listenned to one of the shop's DVD-A's and the CD layer on the Spiro Gyra SACD which I had brought along. I must say the whole combo sounded very nice indeed and I was offered a good trade-in price for my DVD-2900. Very tempting considering the options on the 3910.

When my wife and listened to our own set-up later in the afternoon (Marantz SR-7300, 4 x B&W 602's, I B&W LCR6 S2, DVD-2900) we both could hear no improvement to sound quality over that which we had heard in the store's soundroom with the higher end gear - none that was really worth the extra money to upgrade.

What disappointed me, after having spent a considerable amount of money in this store, was that no attempt was made to connect analogue cables so I could do a true comparison for SACD. If they had gone to the small amount of trouble and I could hear a discernable improvement in both CD and SACD peformance, I may well have taken them up on the trade-in offer. Very poor attitude to a good customer I thought.

At least now I can hear very good stereo CD performance using the Denon DVD-2900 and know that bettering the hi-res output quality of this machine to any significant degree is still some way off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 835
Art i didnt know you were such a good basketball player,thats always been my santuary to,fortunatelly I never had to go thru any serious injurys,but lots family problems stopped me from going to the NBA.I was one of the top pointy gaurds in the country in 91,92,and ,93,but music has always been in my life and it helped me thru my dissapointments and it came to me about 6 years ago audio is what I wanted to do if I coudnt play basketball,I was fortunate to be born into both.I still play ball everyday and im better than I was then and my wife is always trying to get me to go play somewhere,but I have my career now and it took years to get over not being in the NBA,but I finnally have, I just feel blessed that I can still go out there rip Nick Van Exel apart or anyonelse for that matter,god has a plan for all of us in the grand scheam of life and sometimes we dont understand,but it is his way that will see us thru life.Sorry guys for the long story I just felt compelled to talk aboutI,ve been thru so much in my 31 years it just comes out sometimes.

Silver Member

Post Number: 846
Art you have a very compelling story,and its good that you are still passionate about life and other peoples feelings,for that I cant speak for everyone on this forum,but I look foward to your input each and every time you post.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1569
Thank you TW.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us