My Ding-a-Ling

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4992

Day one.

The Man in Brown was very nice.

The speakers are heavy for their size.

Production work is more than acceptable for an internet only, start up company. Nicely finished cabinets. The heavy duty paper towel core in the port could be better. But, hey, I don't look at the back of the speakers while I'm listening.

Very nice five way binding posts for this price range. This system uses Home Depot extension cords for speaker cables.

The grills are back in the packing boxes. The cat died this winter (age 18), so there is no need for those to protect from any flying claws.

So far the Lings sound best when toed in to allow the speaker's axis to cross just behind my ears.

I've disengaged the center channel speaker on the SACD/DVD player and the Dish Network receiver is set to Dolby 2 Channel Downmix. The Lings are about 6dB less efficient than the Polk RT25's that are my usual front HT speakers. After setting the system to 4.1, levels have been adjusted.

Without any center speaker, the phase coherence of the Lings does an excellent job at placing the vocal with the location of the actor/announcer on screen. Very tight focus in this respect. That's impressive. The speakers give an good sense of the space the vocal soundtrack was recorded in and, when appropriate, what sort of microphone the technician used.

I played the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon in 4.1. I picked up an Etta James DVD that I'll listen to tonight.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 638
Yeah I like this!

Silver Member

Post Number: 639
Yeah nice name Jan,kinda sounds like Micheal Jackson grabbing his balls on Beat It,hey but it works though{your a funny dude}

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1511
Yeah I dig the title too...had no idea what in the hell this thread was about so I just HAD to click on it!

Silver Member
Username: Timn8ter

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 449
Lurking

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4995

You guys must be too young to remember Chuck Berry, Little Richard and The Killer.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4996

You guys must be too young to remember Chuck Berry, Little Richard and The Killer.

http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=my%20ding-a-ling%20little%20richard

Silver Member

Post Number: 643
OK OK I see..

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 166
Not me; I remember all three of them very well. Interestingly enough, I live in the Baton Rouge area of Louisiana and occasionally bump into The Killer's cousin (Rev. Jimmy Swaggert) at local restaurants.

When I was a little bitty boy
my grandmother bought me a cute little toy
Silver bells hangin' on a string
she told me it was my ding a ling

My ding a ling, my ding a ling
I want to play with my ding a ling
My ding a ling, my ding a ling

And then mother took me to Grammer School
But I stopped all in the vestibule
Every time that bell would ring
catched me playin' with my ding a ling

Once I was climbing the garden wall
I slipped and had a terrible fall
I fell so hard I heard bells ring
but held on to my ding a ling

Once I was swimming cross Turtle creek
many snappers all around my feet
Shure was hard swimming cross that thing
with both hands holdin' my ding a ling

This here song it ain't so sad
the cutest little song you ever had
those of you who will not sing
You must be playin' with your own ding a ling
My ding a ling Your ding a ling, your ding a ling
We saw you playin' with your ding a ling
My ding a ling everybody sing

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 407
Jimvm, thanks for the ride down memory lane. I don't think I've got to weigh in on whether I'm old enough to remember them, I'M OLD.

But, I figured with that title, Jan must be on the prowl somewhere. So far, so good. Can't wait to hear what you got to say, Jan.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5008

Last night included the Etta James DVD. A disappointment in a weak performance and a lackluster recording. All those white guys in the band didn't help the matter. With a thirteen piece band, I was trying to remember when Ms. James performed with a trio or quartet.

So far the selections played through the HT system have included:

Ms. James
K.D. Lang
Pink Floyd
DVD "Chicago"
DVD Clapton "One More Rider"
SACD Johnny Cash "Silver"
Blossom Dearie
Bill Evans
Talking Heads
Elvis
Dire Straits
TV programming

The spatial focus on vocals still makes me think this is a great HT speaker in many respects. It doesn't require a center speaker in my set up. (Speakers are 8' apart.) The addition of a sub, while desirable for HT use, isn't needed immediately. It has never seemed brash with programming that can sometimes be thin or overly tilted to the highs.

The problem is it doesn't play really loud, so you aren't going to boogey to a concert DVD. The mids can get congested and the tweeter will get splashy. Other than that, the speakers seem to have a lot of promise for a small HT system. 4.0 or 4.1 is more than adequate and more often than not, given correct levels, very enjoyable and even somewhat suprising for the way the material is presented.

I've played with stands in the HT system and found the speakers will really close down when they are locked to a lead shot/sand filled stand with a few dabs of PlastiTak. They have much more life, and a different tonal balance, when used with cones under the speakers on the stands. Damping cabinet behavior in any way seems to have a deleterious effect on the music. VPI bricks are not welcome here.

I don't think anyone would call this speaker overly bright, however. The fact that was one of Tim's design goals is, in my opinion, a good choice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 412
Jan, great additional review and insights. Keep those songs and letters coming in. Looking forward to your thoughts and comparisons to any other speakers you have available. BUT, mostly, just looking to your thoughts about the capabilities and strengths/weaknesses of the Lings.

Silver Member

Post Number: 652
So it seems they play well at moderate levels and they respond to tweaks being negative or positive.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1521
Jan,

I'd be curious to hear what you think of the Lings' performance with classical music, particularly violins and pipe organ, compared to your usual music speakers. For solo piano and classical guitar and harp I thought they were particularly good.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5024

Classical music? Hey, I listened to Dark Side of the Moon! How much more classic can it get?

I seldom listen to classical music through the HT system. When I move the speakers to the two channel system in the back room, I'll give a listen to some classical. That will pair the speakers with the Audible Illusions pre amp and the McIntosh tube amps (90 watts). Tim has suggested the Lings are not kind to some tube amps. We'll see. If, for some reason, the Lings and the Macs don't get along, I'll use the solid state McIntosh MA6200 integrated (75 watts)to drive them in the back room.

In the HT system they're running off a HK AVR 80 II receiver that I use as a power amp (rated 85 watts, measures 120) and a NAD T752 used as a pre amp/processor though most of the time I run the DVD/SACD through the direct analog inputs (natch' for SACD). The HT system has a Sony DVD/SACD. The two channel system has a Denon 2900 DVD/SACD etc. player and the VPI turntable.

I'm thinking tonight I should do some Tibetan bells and Gregorian chants.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1528
WHAT??? *JAN* has a **SONY** player? Holy sh*t, Art will be completely appalled! (See our ongoing thread in the CD Players section.) Which model is it?

Now I'd be very curious to hear how much of a difference you detect between the Sony and Denon players relative to their very different pricepoints.

Anyways I eagerly await more of your findings on the Lings...

Silver Member

Post Number: 660
They should be fine with the Macs it might be match made in heaven.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5028

The Sony DVD/SACD player is a budget model that recieved excellent marks for it SACD performance. I bought it to place in the multichannel system (HT) for those instances where the SACD relies on surround for its reproduction (DSOTM) and for watching movies. I am not a videophile. The quality of reproduction in the HT system is far less important to me than what I hear in the two channel system. The Sony plays DVD's and the occasional music video. It does a perfectly acceptable job doing what I intended it to do. The Denon was purchased for the two channel system only. It has never played a video DVD and would have to be hooked to the TV across the room to do so. I've never compared the two players because, to me, they serve different functions.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5029

Here's something I posted in another thread that is relevant to this thread also:

It (the Ling) is at the beginning of the single driver movement; trying to take the idea to a logical conclusion that will be acceptable to the public. (Because of the inefficiencies in driver design, most single driver speakers are going to remain far outside the accceptable range of domestic habitation for a long time to come.) One of the qualities of Tim's design that is striking to me is the immediacy of the music. Whether there are other aspects of Tim's speakers I do or don't care for will wait for more listening and contemplation. But, the point here is taking away anything that is extraneous to the speaker's function, as we have been told is "necessary" by the conventional speaker manufacturers, makes the music totally different than what we are accustomed to hearing.

A bit of hyperbole? We'll have to learn more in the next few days.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Australia

Post Number: 2193
"The two channel system has a Denon 2900 DVD/SACD etc. player and the VPI turntable."

Jan, I know this is off topic but since you mentioned it - do you use the 2900 for CD playback? If so, what are your impressions - comparison to any stand alone player you have used in the past?

Also do you believe excellent SACD recordings surpass excellent redbook recordings in sound (resolution - fidelity) quality? In two channel natch!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5067

I bought the 2900 when my mid priced Philips CD player died. Once again it proved not financially wise to repair a five year old CD player. Though somewhat against my policy of spending what I consider to be a substantial amount on a product that will ultimately be replaced when it wears out in a few years, the 2900 fit my needs. With the Sony DVD/SACD player in the HT system, I had acquired enough discs to warrant a dedicated SACD player in the music system. (I'm coming to doubt that decision now, as SACD/DVD-A are almost a non-existent species in the local music vendors. Yes, I know about internet sales. I like to go browse through discs I can pick up and handle, read and weigh the liner notes and labels against one another. Call me old fashioned [you won't be the first], but I also enjoy a trip to the downtown public library just for a smell and a feel. Me and the books, I mean; not myself and the homeless people sleeping in the stacks.) Since the Denon replaced a less expensive Philips player and the almost equally less expensive Sony in the HT room, the gains were what I expected. The sound tightened its focus and the articulation took a step in the right direction.

I didn't bother trying a group of players in my system and then making a decision. I compared the Denon to several Redbook CD players of lesser and equal value dollar wise. The idea was to buy the Denon by itself as a universal player or buy a less expensive CD only player and another less expensive SACD player. I had a list of players I wanted to audition that were available here in Dallas (which leaves out a substantial number of good CD players) and spent two afternoons listening and choosing. I thought the Denon satisfied my requirements more than the lower priced Rotel, Pioneer and Toshiba did. Against the NAD, Cambridge and current offering from Rega I would have picked the Rega by a slight margin mostly based on my admiration of the company and their ethics. Their player has always been a favorite of mine for its quirky styling and its musical performance. The Denon was very close to the Rega in what I heard (not having them in the same store) with a trade off as to which did what more to my liking and the 2900 offered the benefit of universal play. The 2900 was also offered as a close out with a discount. While I was prepared to spend the money for the Rega, I felt the Denon would do quite well in my system and had some advantages the Rega didn't offer. I may regret my decision if the SACD/DVD-A market flounders and the Denon joins the long list of mass market products the manufacturer no longer supports with service and parts. We'll see; as is, I'm pleased with the sound quality if the Denon.

As I said, Dallas doesn't have many high end players to choose from. My next step in universals would have been the Linn player. It's quite possible another player would have been the eventual winner, if I had more options to choose from. I somewhat doubt that, though. If it hadn't been the Denon, I would have more than likely picked the Rega and gone home to listen to some music on a decent (even if it was not the very, very, very best) player I could find. Everything is a tradeoff; why knock yourself out making decisions over hifi?

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2617
Good info on the player there Jan and the speakers so far.

I am very happy with my Denon "2200", works great for my needs and setup.
At the time for me the 2900 was a little more then I wanted to spend.
You can get 5900's on audiogon now for awsome prices.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Allright continue on with the original intent.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Australia

Post Number: 2195
My response is on 'Old Dogs.'

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/21154.html

Anonymous

Gee, not much on the Lings since Thursday.

Anonymous

Jan, are you being coy with us or what?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5075

Just listening. I moved the Lings to the back room with the McIntosh and Audible Illusions tubes tonight. So far I'm hearing things I like about the Lings and things I would like to have done better. But, this is a reasonably priced speaker. Every speaker priced similar to the Ling will have trade offs. Right now there's not much to say.

The Mac system doesn't have a subwoofer so the Lings are running full range. Once again they are showing preferences for set up that affect their overall sound. I will say the Lings impressed me with the change I have I heard going from the HT system with the NAD and HK to the tubes. The Mac has grabbed hold of the little guys and had its way with the Lings.

I think the Lings like it!

Anonymous

Is it just my imagination or is Jan really beating around the bush here? Very vague and general comments all around...

Reminds me of a press conference at the Department of Defense on Iraq, or at the White House on the Valerie Plame scandal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 414
OK, Jan.

I'm back and not much has been written.

"The Mac has grabbed hold of the little guys and had its way with the Lings. . . I think the Lings like it! "

But, does Jan like what the Lings have spewed forth from the Mac and the Denon 2900? Are we to wait in darkness for further light and knowledge until next weekend? How do the Lings perform against those "shoeboxes" of yours? Are the Lings "light" or "darkness"? Do you hear the music or "do you listen" still?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5095

Still. But my time is running short.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5096

Not that it particularly matters to the results, as the Lings are definitely good enough to show the differences between the two formats, but the VPI turntable got put into the mix last night. A Japanese pressing of a Nat King Cole disc, a technically poor recording of the MJQ (left ... no center ... right), some Pablo Casals playing Bach, some marching music from RCA Living Stereo and Brewer and Shipley taking one toke over the line.

I've got to work some more rock music into this somewhere along the line; but the Lings favor simpler recording techniques. I'm finding it difficult to skip through demonstration discs as I get caught up listening to the music and just let the disc play.

"Fanfare for the Common Man" on Telarc pushed the overall evaluation of the Lings up several notches when played through the 2900 and the tube amplification in the back listening room.

Username: Margie

Napa, California

Post Number: 3

Jan
Take all the time you need.
Margie

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5106

You're not the first woman to tell me that, Margie.

Napa, California

Post Number: 4

LOL!!!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5108

I've heard that also.

Napa, California

Post Number: 6

OK ...I've recovered a bit

You guys refer to "Telarc" and "redbook". Are these brand names or some kind of processing...What?

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 191
AFAIK redbook refers to a standard CD. Telarc is a recording company.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5115

http://www.telarc.com/

http://www.commonerarecords.com/doubledisc/cdmastering/redbookspecs.html

Napa, California

Post Number: 9

Thanks!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5155

The highlight of the listening last night was a new LP of Elvis' Sun recordings, "Elvis at Sun Records", remastered by Sam Phillips' son. It is a mono recording. The very first note of the very first song, "Harbour Lights", jumped out of the Lings and the next eighteen songs just got better one after the last. I've got all these songs on other discs, LP and CD, and this is an impressive recording. Shading and nuance to who wouldn't have it. With out a X-over point within the range of the male voice, the Lings ate up this very simple recording and made it very special. Score a big one for the Lings. I didn't make a comparison of this disc on the LS3/5a's against the Lings, but what the Lings provided was excellent.

John Hartford on a Flying Fish LP was also particularly interesting last night. As I play around with the Lings, I hear more things to like about this speaker.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1584
I found the same thing as Jan: the Lings excelled with male voices especially on simple recordings and simple compositions.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5167

Then I assume we concur that as the composition becomes more complex the Lings reach their limitations. Also as the SP levels increase, the amount of complexity that throws the Lings off course is lowered. That is, to an extent, the nature of a budget oriented speaker as I see it. Particularly one using a 4" main driver. The levels and complexity we are talking about are within what I consider acceptable for a speaker of this category until the budget has been stretched considerably.

However, where I find the Ling to be problematic to assess is in its ability to discriminate between good sounding, non-Mahlerian compositions at reasonable levels and the ability to show just how poorly put together many recordings are. I have always considered the idea that a system improves so much it limits the number of playable recordings to be a misdirection in improving a system. In the case of the Lings, I'm finding a speaker that can show intense amounts of music in recordings that have intense amounts of music in them. Mono recordings and recordings that have off balance frequency response still are presented in a musical fashion; very much so. That it shows the problems of poor production techniques in what it is given to work with seems hard to fault in this case.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1985
Old mono elvis on vinal??

Yikes!!

Isnt this a HiFi forum?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5170

That was an unmistakeably intelligent comment, Paul. Elvis and 4" drivers should have no more appeal to you than 15" boomers and explosions on tv have for me. Yet I don't come on the home theater pages and give you grief over what you post there. Oh, wait, you don't post on the home theater pages. You post on the home audio pages as if you actually knew something about the subject.

I'm not interested in sparring with you any longer, Paul. Make intelligent comments for a change.

Silver Member

Post Number: 709
Boy, Jan you are expecting way to much out of Paul,that he probably would never acomadate,just let him be him and ignore him.Most newbies that come on here will figure out that he just blows large 15 inch hot air out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1589
> Elvis and 4" drivers should have no more appeal to you than 15" boomers and explosions on tv have for me. Yet I don't come on the home theater pages and give you grief over what you post there. Oh, wait, you don't post on the home theater pages. You post on the home audio pages as if you actually knew something about the subject.

AMEN, HALLELUJAH, PRAISES BE UNTO ALLAH!!!

rotflmao...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1590
> However, where I find the Ling to be problematic to assess is in its ability to discriminate between good sounding, non-Mahlerian compositions at reasonable levels and the ability to show just how poorly put together many recordings are.

Jan: are you saying that the Lings are *not* revealing of poor recordings? That sounds like a very diplomatic way of saying that they're not very detailed. Please correct me if I misunderstood.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 837
Wow I feel good ding a ling ding dong.....

What is this ding a ling??????

Great balls of ding a ling, ling dong, dong....

Jan you haven't lost the plot have you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 838
You can ring me bell, ring my bell, you can ring my bell???

LOL.....

Donna summer

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5180

It depends on what any one person considers "poor recordings". I've played plenty of recordings where the frequency response wasn't 20-20kHz. I've played mono recordings where the mix is all in the center and early stereo recordings where the mix is extreme left and extreme right. The Lings do a wonderful job of getting to the performance and the performer in these recordings. But, in none of these cases was the recording done in bits and pieces and then assembled into the whole that is on the disc. That's where the Lings show what went on in the production of the recording. In terms of frequency response and stereo effects, these studio recordings are better than a lot of what I've put through the speakers; but there is a lack of pacing and timing to the music with the more heavily produced studio recordings. And, on simpler recordings, those timing and coherence virtues are where the Lings are best.

Busy orchestral scores are kept in line with the Lings if the recording doesn't have obvious overdubs and spotlighting of soloists. The flow of the music is intriguing on the Lings with well recorded symphonic works. On the other hand, the electronic works that I've put on so far have simply become flat and uninteresting through the Lings even though other speakers (even the 3/5a's which the Lings resemble in some ways) portray a more lively presentation. Since this sort of music isn't something I listen to now days (these are demo discs I used when I was selling), I don't have a large amount of this style to play on the Lings. Before I give them up to Margie, I'll try to borrow a few discs from a neighbor that listens to more contemporary stuff. The Lings are still responding to changes in the support mechanisms and they would appear to still be opening up more each time I run them. Maybe this will help the recordings where the Lings haven't done as well so far.

Overall, I wouldn't say the Lings are about extreme amounts of "detail". I have other speakers that make it easier to count the number of pages being turned during a recording session. The Lings are not the most revealing speaker I own when it comes to the background noises during live jazz recordings. Other speakers are better at laying out the tinkling of ice cubes in a glass in the background. But, those are the sort of things that have nothing to do with the music. They are ambience and the Lings still find plenty of ambience that tells interesting details about the music itself. When it comes to the performance, the Lings can outdo several other speakers I've compared them against. If for no other reason than the Lings can place an instrument in space and it stays tightly focused exactly in that spot until the performer moves or the engineer moves the performer with a pan pot, the Lings are interesting speakers. But, overall it is the ebb and flow of the music and the nuances of performance which make the Lings worth listening through. At that alone, they come close to the LS3/5a's and a few other British speakers I have used. In a lot of ways, they remind me of Spendor BC1's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 847
Now that makes since, I understand what you are saying.

Though I have read some disturbing news, about nothing lasts for ever?

The recordings may be wearing out, and DVD as a life span of around 20 years, not sure about vinyl records, tape well that flacks doesn't it and the molecules on DVD degrade over the course of time, man that is depressing.

So there goes my ding dong?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1993
I guess I cant get excited about shoebox sized speakers, and old mono LPs. You might as well pull out the old transistor radio, and use the earplug as far as Im concerned if you're going about it that way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1594
> I guess I cant get excited about shoebox sized speakers, and old mono LPs. You might as well pull out the old transistor radio, and use the earplug as far as Im concerned if you're going about it that way.

Let me repeat Jan: why oh why Paul, do you keep coming to this Home AUDIO section instead of the Home THEATER section where everyone else has the same priorities and tastes that you do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1995
He was talking about massive HT polk speakers, so I thought I'd comment. I dont know why you guys even bother. You might as well use a single earplug for your HiFi listening pleasure.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5181

Let me repeat: why oh why Paul, do you keep coming to this Home AUDIO section instead of the Home THEATER section where everyone else has the same priorities and tastes that you do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2001
HT is filled with audio, and Im surprised you didnt know that. I guess listening to those Polks, the misunderstanding makes sense.

If you havent noticed, I AM talking about audio. Heck, I've never asked you once about your video screen quality, have I? Whatever you have, Im sure it matches well with the Polks. If anything, you guys should refrain from your 'lowfi' discussions.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5182

And I'm sure what you own matches the ... quality ... of your CV's.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5183

And, Paul, mentioning the word Polk is not "talking" about audio. Talking about audio is saying something intelligent about audio. Give it a try sometime, they'll love it over on the home theater forum.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1596
oops, forgot: Paul's just out trolling for attention again with his broken-record "provocative" remarks.

Tiresome, but maybe comforting somehow in its utterly predictable and inane fashion.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5187

Sort of like sciatica. A dull pain in the butt that just won't go away.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2004
Im just expressing my opinion that mini bookshelf speakers arent really hifi but rather they are lowfi.

That's what this forum is for.....the expressing of opinions, whether you agree with them or not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 710
Thats true Paul to a certain extent,but what do you offer to subject? nothing,you seem only to come here to criticize book shelfs.Other than being able to play loud and generate gobs of bass power,where else is your CVs better than Jans Ls3/5a,or Eddies Ascend 340s,or John As Quads esl 63s or Franks Totem Mani 2s which they would probably equal your CVs in bass power.The answer Paul absolutely nothing they are so far behind when it comes to the reproduction of music it should be forbidden for the CVs to be in the same room with them.Paul ask yourself why are you on the audio side?If you want sugestions for new speakers swallow your big verses small pride and ask,if thats not the case take your unrefined CVs and go over to the HT side.We are over here trying to make our systems better,if you are not get lost man and go hear some more sloppy explosions.

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 170
"Im just expressing my opinion that mini bookshelf speakers arent really hifi but rather they are lowfi.

That's what this forum is for.....the expressing of opinions, whether you agree with them or not."

When I was in high school, I remember there were three guys who used to hang out together. Between classes, they used to stand in the hallway, leaning against some lockers, making cutting remarks about other kids who walked by. You know, they'd ridicule anyone who walked by who, to them, looked different, dressed different, etc. Then they'd giggle among themselves. I don't know if they thought they were better than anyone else or if they just found comfort in denigrating others.

Paul Money, you remind me of those three guys. Someone who doesn't have much to contribute; doesn't have anything contructive to say; doesn't really care about others or their feelings; someone with a high school bully mentality.

Sure, you have an opinion and you're entitled to it. It's just that most folks who have some modicum of manners and maturity don't choose to take potshots at others just because they don't think like you do or have audio/video equipment like yours.

Many years after high school, I ran into one of those three guys. We ended up going motorcycling together. He turned out to be a pretty decent guy. So, I guess there's still hope for some folks. Perhaps, as you mature, you'll lose the compulsion to shoot zingers at other folks. Then again, perhaps not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 712
Well said Jimvm,well said..

Silver Member

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 171
Try to imagine the scene as the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations speaks to the Security Council:

"Ladies and gentlemen, although you may think you represent great countries, I'm here to tell you that your countries just can't compare to the United States. My country is the greatest country in the history of the universe. My country is the most powerful of all countries and your countries are puny compared to mine."

Well, that may be the opinion of the U.S. Ambassador, but is it a good thing to express it in that way? I think not.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5191

Paul - You express the same opinion over and over and over at times, such as this, where there was no reason for the opinion to be stated. This is a review process of two small speakers. There is no reason for you to make any comments regarding the size of these speakers, the number of channels of music I listen to (while you listen to no music not acompanied by explosions), and certainly no reason to make any comments about the performers I choose to audition these speakers with.

In other words, you butted in where you were not welcome with comments that had nothing to do with anything other than your constant desire for attention by denigrating others. Don't try to diguise your actions with "that's what this forum is for". This thread is about Tim's small two way speaker which you have not heard. Common courtesy would suggest to most people that the comments you have made on this thread are entirely inappropriate.

Please, extend your apologies to those of us trying to learn something new about audio. Like the kids in the school hallway, you are the kid who constantly disrupts the class because he doesn't want to learn anything. If you have nothing to contribute to a discussion of audio other than "Polk", go over to the home theater forum and wait. We'll call you when we need you.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5192

No political comments concerning the United Nations are required in rebuttal, Paul. No political comments of any kind are required on the forum, Paul.

Silver Member

Post Number: 415
Well, off the subject of Paul for awhile. I'm back from Glacier Nat'l Park and just had the last of 8 teenage girls picked up. So, I've caught up with Jan's thoughts, finally.

I'm impressed on the one hand and left feeling like I didn't get it all on the other. I'm afraid I spent my time with the Lings doing short periods of listening, no more than 10-15 minutes and then switched over to the Ascends and did comparisons. It was helpful in evaluating the differences between the two speakers.

However, it wasn't helpful in determining how the Lings made me feel about the music. In other words, I didn't take enough time to sit back with a couple of favorite albums and simply listen to how the music made me feel. DANG, I hate it when that happens. Thanks for the shared memories, Jan, I'll just have to live off your experiences. Such is life.

Paul, I still love ya.

Billingsly
Unregistered guest
Gosh jan all paul did was mess with you a bit and you took a major exception to it. You mess with people all the time and them tell them not to be so stressed out about it. Maybe you should take some of your own medicine more often. Might make your skin as thick as you claim it is. The guy says a little something and you fly off the handle and degrade him just like you tell other people not to. humm maybe should listen to your self sometimes. Take a chill pill buddy.

Doesn't matter what your smart allic remark is many of us see this in you all the time you just either ignore it or think others don't see it or care. So gosh chill out there master audio and psychiatrist guy. You do this all the time and then take exception when someone does it to you, um ok.

Silver Member

Post Number: 855
Yeah what about the fact that I said that DVD's only last 20 years, man that's the pits?

So what should I do?

Should I worry about my Ding-a-ling dong ding?

Silver Member

Post Number: 856
Well I've been using bookshelf, JBL control 5 monitors in my home cinema now for around 16 years, and have given me wondrous hours of usage, not to knock the CW as they have had there hay day in with "Sensurround."

So Paul, be proud of the CW that you own.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 857
One question Paul, is you CW using an Active X-over to gain greater range with higher highs and lower lows?

That's what I have done, with one of my JBL control 5 bookshelf monitors, set-up with an Active X-over giving a slightly bigger sound with lower lows, well not all the way down to 20Hz but a far better solution than the 50Hz and the highs well less distortion.

And when I came by some more Active X-over units, the whole front stage will be complete, and this is a good step over the passive X-over.

Like the man says, there's no problems, only solutions....

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1542
"Im just expressing my opinion that mini bookshelf speakers arent really hifi but rather they are lowfi."

That's not an opinion it's just ignorance.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5195

Sorry, Billingsly, I'm not out to hurt your feelings but I don't remember you being around this forum very much. So, I'm going to guess you are just finding Paul and the remarks several of us that have been here for a while are tired of reading. Tell you what, Billingsly, why don't we consider that Paul makes a habit of interrupting all sorts of threads with this "little speaker" crap. Why don't we consider the fact he thinks it's appropriate to insert this into any thread about any topic. Why don't we consider he has been asked repeatedly to cease with his "humor". I'm sure you learned that polite people don't continue to annoy others just for their own satisfaction. I suspect your mother taught you to respect the wishes of other people. Let's consider it has been explained to Paul several times why it's not funny any longer. We might even consider that he wanted to be the "bigger individual" on another thread and suggested he would stop interrupting. Certainly we can consider the comments he made have no reason to be in this thread and that he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about since he hasn't heard these speakers. It doesn't seem to be something Paul considers, but he shows his ignorance just a little bit more each time he makes another stupid remark about small speakers, tube amplifiers or most anything else Paul makes "humorous" comments about. Did I mention rubbing people the wrong way on purpose just isn't very nice? In case you missed it earlier, let me ask you to consider that Paul does this just to annoy people. You can obviously see that it has no point. It didn't when he started it months ago and it has even less now after numerous repititions. Much less after numerous requests to stop. How about if Paul just considers that some people like small speakers and not huge boxes. How about if Paul just considers some people don't find his comments to be funny. I think I mentioned that one before; didn't I? I can't imagine even you consider the low fi remark to be funny or appropriate to the thread. Think about Paul's justification for his remarks. What do you think, Billingsly? Does Paul come to this forum for an exchange of ideas? Or, does Paul come to this forum to purposely annoy people? Why don't we consider that every time Paul inserts his blather into a thread we spend numerous posts talking about Paul. We could talk about the time that wastes for everyone. Think about how a little kid considers any attention OK when he can't get attention for doing something well. Maybe you'd like to consider that Paul is acting like a twelve year old by repeating his little act over and over. Consider that his act just has no place on this thread. Why don't you tell me the last time Paul added anything intelligent to the conversation. Might you also consider Paul doesn't listen to music so he is a fish out of water on this thread. Why don't you just consider that Paul is Paul over and over again. And, some of us are tired of that. Nobody is trying to get rid of Paul. What we would like is for something intelligent to come from Paul. What we would like is for Paul to stop showing up just to annoy people. Can you consider that too much to ask, Billingsly?

Finally, consider that I don't give a crap about your opinion because you are wrong. Paul's remarks were out of line on this thread. He's been asked to apologize. Why don't we wait to see if he is a big enough individual to admit his mistake before we go accusing anyone else of anything?

I'd like to keep this thread on target and not spend anymore time discussing Paul or me. How about we try that for a change? Let's talk about what the thread is about. Do you have anything to say that pertains to the thread, Billingsly?

See, now you got me mad. I don't like to be mad, Billingsly. If you consider my comments to be those of a "smart allic" (sp), my name is at the front of each of my posts. Just go ahead and skip what I post, we'll both be better off.

I'll repeat myself. Let's stick to the topic of the thread.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2005
Spare the verbage and give us the readers digest version next time, please. If you're too sensitive to handle opposing viewpoints, you might want to close yourself off into a bubble so that your feathers dont get so ruffled. That's the problem with the left.......they're so easily offended. Lighten up......

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5197

Paul, I'm going to let it go, I suggest you do the same. Like I said, it's only common courtesy to stop when you've been asked repeatedly. How about showing some common courtesy from now on?

Bronze Member
Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 28
What ever happened to that handy Usenet feature the killfile?

I'm new here, just a few weeks.
Paul, I'm sure you have the biggest speakers in the world, bigger than anyone else's, and there are none better. You probably should be officially lauded and acknowledged by the industry for your prowess, I'm certain they'll get around to it...then the entire audio world will be informed of your greatness and you wont have to interfere with other folk's discussions in order to hip them to the fact.
In the meantime, since you haven't heard the speakers under review, any and all real world performance info of the Lings (which is what this thread is about) is entirely unavailable to you....your zero listening time with this sensorial experience thoroughly disqualifies you from holding an opinion on the quality of the Lings sound... good, bad, or indifferent. You have nothing to contribute and true to form, have done so copiously.
For those interested in the senses, in ears, in listening, these first hand reports are one step removed from the real thing...you are the armchair mountaineer and 'bigwall theorist' who hasn't roped up and is telling us all what it's like up there.
Jan's listening to a variety of SOUNDS, the mono Elvis being one facet of that spectrum. If your listening is varied & sensitive, you'd find analogues to this sort of listening in your everyday movement through the world. Perhaps you've only learned to use your ears in limited manner....if all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail....
If all you listen to are CVs....
Buy yourself a pair of the Lings and report back.
Put up or shut up.

------------
Now with the distractions out of the way, intriguing report Jan!

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

Post Number: 230
HOLY $HIT! nice title jan! I was wondering what we had going on here! thought we had another perv back in the forum.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1598
> give us the readers digest version next time, please.

Exactly your problem, Paul: you are much too used to the kind of dumbed-down, oversimplistic and jingoistic drivel for the under-educated and attention-span-impaired which the likes of Reader's Digest and Faux News specialize in.

Now if you'd turn off that boobtube and start reading real news/information sources for adults not retards, such as The Economist or The Wall Street Journal (except for its wingnut editorial page, it does have very good writing) there might be some hope for you after all.

Attention-craving PLUS attention-span-impaired is an unfortunate combination.

Silver Member

Post Number: 416
Nice reviews of the Lings guys. I'm glad I checked back in. (Yes, that is my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.)

Silver Member

Post Number: 715
So Jan lets get back to the review its sizing up to be a really good one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 422
Jan, do you still have the Lings or are they on their way to CA and Margie? If you've still got them, what are your current thoughts and what have you been listening to? Just wondering, but not about Margie's attire, honest? LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 927
It's an "SVS" "Sounds Very Stupid"

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Rysa4

Post Number: 19
Waitin for the next "Ling Report"...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2044
Sweet looking sub, eh?(and kid too)

When you're ready to step up in class and replace your jbl's, you'll have to give SVS a try. For only $1350, you can have one of those monster subwoofers in your home, and ready for movie night. Once you listen to a premium sub, you wonder why you ever spent $200 on that JBL in the first place.

Silver Member

Post Number: 935
Paul,

The more things change the more they stay the same....

Well I guess you haven't been a projectionist, and working around the best of the best, with the best Dolby dts and SDDS processors PA loudspeakers, that money can buy, I'll stick and keep with JBL, though I'd like to hear feel and do an LFE test with the SVS using the SPL meter on it as well.....

Silver Member

Post Number: 936
Let me add to this, the "SVS" may be on par with the "JBL 4645" and other models in the range, have you ever listened to the "CV" sub bass professional range?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2045
The professional range doesnt go deep enough. Movie theaters sound terrible anyway, so their components arent of interest to me. I think components designed for the home are better quality, and better suited for inhome use.

Silver Member

Post Number: 942
Welcome to the forums site
For everyone's enjoyment we would like to remind you of the following rules.

No Bad language
No spam
No red meat
No freedom of religion
No equal SPL ratings
And remember all loudspeakers must be approved the department of Jancoustics
Failure to obey these rules well result in the immediate loss of citizenship and deportation to the other forums site enjoy the show.....

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5265

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/reviews/156699.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
That the best you can do Jan?

Anyways, perhaps when I move to Portland I'll look Tim up and see if I can audition them myself.

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
DA,

I'm with you on this. Geez, I thought Jan was going to do a review or something. And they say lawyers write (talk) too much. LOL

Kidding aside, FANTASTIC REVIEW, Jan. l would never have thought to alter the speaker set-up in such a way to improve the sound, although as you know I did have the WAF cabinet problem.

In any event, like I said, it was tough to send the Lings back to Tim as there are so many things that they just do too well. Thanks for the excellent analysis and effort that went into the review and your analysis.

Now, NO PRESSURE WHATSOEVER MARGIE, for "Return of the Lings IV, or Margie Gets Her Ling On."

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5271

Guys, for goodness sake! That was just off the top of my head. Gimme a break; OK?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 469
I started reading that and when I realized I wasn't reaching the end very fast I printed out all 11 1/2 pages plus the extra trailer page. Very good writing Jan. You certainly put them through their paces. I love the paper towel tweak!
I think Jan made an important distinction when he said these speakers are not for everybody and that's fine with me. It's probably to my benefit to build unique designs rather than trying to go head to head with the big boys. If I build another little bookshelf like all the others I'll just get lost in the fray. Yes, they have shortcomings and those shortcomings may be ones that many people can't abide by. So be it.
Thanks Jan!

Silver Member

Post Number: 732
But,Tim thats what they call beauty is in the eye of the beholder,a design should always be the vision of the creator.It is a very unique speaker,and you can not worry about it appealing to everyone.For example Ascends a internet based company wont appeal to everyone,but it will have its followers and so will you,remember it cant sound right to someonelse until it sounds right to you.Well sorry for preaching just trying to put a little insight into it,oh let me be careful i dont want you to get sued(just kidding)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1012
Tawaun,

Which loudspeaker are we talking about, a picture of please, words don't do it a picture says a thousand words....

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 470
Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1014
Timn8ter,

Looks like its 1foot deep not sure of the width is that a 6 ½ bass mid in it?

Looking at the back of it, just single binding connections, why not bi-wire?

Other than that she looks nice down to 40Hz you say?

How much are they?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1015
Timn8ter

Also is that narrow dispersion, or wide dispersion?

John McA
Unregistered guest
Thank you, Jan. A fantastic and detailed review. I hope you intend to publish that (I am sure Tim would second that request). Just when I thought I knew what I would buy, this thread keeps bringing me back to the Ling.

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
Andy: http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Ling.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 1016
Devils,

Cheers for that link of information, though when I saw the specifications, some parts raised an eyebrow, the rest just major lows the price is not so much different to the JBL control 5, though looking around a lot harder, the best lowest price in town can be found....

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
Jan,

"Guys, for goodness sake! That was just off the top of my head." To quote one of your buddies from Texas, Vigne: "That dog don't hunt."

Having said that, I agree with John, it would be very worthwhile for Tim, and potential customers, to get that review published in some audio mag or online. I don't have a clue how but I can certainly explain an easy, and cheap, way to provide copyright type protection, if you're of a mind to proceed.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5304

It is online. If anyone pulls up "AlegriaAudio Ling" it will come up in a search engine. Give it a try. It should work. I don't know why Tim can't place a link to that thread in his web page. Is there some legal reason it can't be done?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5317

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/css.html

John McA
Unregistered guest
Not that I know of, Jan, but neither trademark/copyright nor internet are my fields. Maybe David knows.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5328

If you'll scroll down on the link above, you'll see the write up is already linked from that page. If there is a problem, someone should inform the Planet10 folks.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 479
AFAIK, a link to a web page is not a copyright infringement because there has not been a copy of anything made. If someone were to take an excerpt of a copyrighted document without the author's permission and/or without acknowledging that is it an excerpt and who the author is, then it's infringement. Also, I don't believe Jan's review has been copyrighted. From my perspective, Planet10 did it right by calling it "Jan Vigne's Review" and providing a link to the eCoustics website, thereby not making a copy of anything and acknowledging who the author is.
Disclaimer: I am not a Copyright Attorney.

Silver Member

Post Number: 446
Yeah,

But you're probably pretty close to someone that gives good, free legal advice. But, it's Jan's work product to copyright or not. So long as he is not violating any of the users agreements on ecoustics or Planet10, there should not be a problem AND Tim should be able to use exercpts on his website with Jan's permission.

Disclaimer: BUT, I am not a Copyright Attorney either.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5334

I don't think a write up of the Ling is anything I need to copyright. I may regret that decision when I'm looking to publish my memoirs, but, that's life. Hey, that's how I live it! That's life.

that's what all the people say
You're ridin' high in April, shot down in May
But I know I'm gonna change that tune
When I'm back on top, back on top in June

I said that's life (that's life), and as funny as it may seem
Some people get their kicks stompin' on a dream
But I don't let it, let it get me down
'cause this fine old world, it keeps spinnin' around

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king
I've been up and down and over and out and I know one thing
Each time I find myself flat on my face
I pick myself up and get back in the race

That's life (that's life), I tell you I can't deny it
I thought of quitting, baby, but my heart just ain't gonna buy it
And if I didn't think it was worth one single try
I'd jump right on a big bird and then I'd fly

I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king
I've been up and down and over and out and I know one thing
Each time I find myself layin' flat on my face
I just pick myself up and get back in the race

That's life (that's life), that's life and I can't deny it
Many times I thought of cuttin' out but my heart won't buy it
But if there's nothin' shakin' come this here July
I'm gonna roll myself up in a big ball a-and die

My, my!

My, my, my!

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1339
You can copyright it and license it under a free non-restrictive license.

No copyright without a declaration of public domain means no rights are given and no one can do anything with it, much less publish it.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5339

Seems like I'd be doing something that doesn't much matter. Unless, of course, you'd like to represent me in a suit against Planet10 for violating something I didn't know I had. That way I could take them for all they got, and we'll find some other poor sucker to take along for the ride, then I could buy that mansion in Beverly Hills next to the banker and start on my career as a brain surgeon and double naught spy! Uncle Jed! Uncle Jed!

Silver Member

Seattle, WA USA

Post Number: 485
Thankfully this thread is back on track now!
;-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 768
I like these ideas I have been trying to figure out a way to become a reviewer,hey maybe we can put our heads together and come up with something that could be benificial to all of us,its a dream I guess but this how they come true though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1669
yeah I'd love to become a reviewer too especially if I could convince more than one out of ten readers that I'm not just blowing smoke out of my @ss, LOL...

A continuous flow of gear to listen to, maybe even some to keep, man what a nice life!

Hell I could even collect bribes after accumulating enough name recognition... : )

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5343

For Edster, Dak and Quinn - I'm curious as to how you guys set up the Lings. I know ed played with placement. Did any of you try anything different other than placing the speakers on a stand? I guess I'm not even clear whether you all used stands or some other form of support for the speakers. When I PlastiTak'd the Lings to the damped stand, they did not, in my opinion, give nearly the quality of sound as when they were allowed to sit free of the stand on the TipToes. Did you guys try anything like that? Did you have them tacked to the stand with mounting cement? If you did or did not, do you think that could have affected the performance you got out of the Lings? Did you try any different cables or anything other than just place them in your existing systems? Since you all have speakers that are, I guess, somewhat brighter than the Lings, did you make any attempts to compensate for the different tonal balance? Are your rooms treated in any way to make your current speakers work best in the room.

Basically, what all did you do in order to get the Lings to work at their best level?

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1343
Seems like I'd be doing something that doesn't much matter.

Depends Jan. It usually doesn't matter at all until it does. Then it matters a whole lot. I write code for fun, so we free-coders have dealt with this issue a lot (e.g. Linux and free software in general). It's pretty easy to simply put a simple copyright notice along with a specification of which license applies. If it ever comes up feel free to ask me about it.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5344

OK

Gold Member

Post Number: 1672
Jan,

well to be honest the only tweak I did was I put some newspaper between the Lings and the speaker stand (wooden)...about 1-2 pages folded over. No blue-tack. No special cables or room treatments.

Moving them within about 3 feet of each other as opposed to the 6 I started with, was the single most dramatic improvement.

What I should've done to lessen the Ascends' relative brightness was to untoe them, which is what I did tonight in addition to moving them within 10 inches of the back wall...dramatic improvement, warmer and more mid-bassy, I think the 340s' wide dispersion tweeter sounds much better off-axis.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2128
3 feet??

Why not just strap them together and use them as headphones while you're at it.

Silver Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 120
I guess 3 feet would be appropriate headphones for someone with such a thick head as yourself, Paul.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2134
Eddie,
If you had any real output, you'd need do a heck of a lot more to modify your room because rattles would creep out of every nook and cranny imaginable. Heck, I even had to tighten ceiling light fixtures.....you name it, and it will need to be modded.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1680
Ziggy, OUCH OUCH OUCH!!! ...and yet again Paul lies sprawled out and watering the ground red.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1681
Paul, you're confusing subwoofer output vs. speaker output. Without that monster SVS I doubt your CVs would necessitate tightening the light fixtures.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5355

Paul - Did you jump this fence again? How many times do you think you can get in this thread just to take a dump? Go find your own thread and let us have some time talking about Tim's speakers; OK? Do whatever you want on your thread, just respect ours.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2147
Regardless of where it comes from, if you had any real output, you'd be busy modifying your room. It's a given that a sub like the SVS plus/2 will smoke any standard loudspeaker low frequency capabilities. Short of hanging padded walls to protect the drywall, you cant eliminate everything. If I go overboard with SPL, my sheetrock will humm from the studs outward.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2148
Geez Jan....

And I thought this thread was just getting interesting:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1146
Yeah Paul we should be call, you "BUTCH CACTUS and the CRYBABY KID" the lawless outlaws of the wild west...............so go and play with Paul toys, may if your nicer towards other people, then some will share there secrets, in cinema and home cinema, including Hi-Fi as well.

Sorry about that Jan, I apologise, for the interruption....

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1684
Paul, are you aware that almost every third post you write is yet another paen to that SVS?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1162
Edster922

Paul, You are like one of the "Disgruntled Postal Works."

Yes I can reason logically as well, Paul, what is your problem for Gods sakes, I can shape up too, as you can too, but you really love taking the piss out of everyone new that comes to this site including (Brandon) a newbie Paul the word will be, don't register with this site as there are there's woolly on it called Paul, who likes nothing better to do but insult new members, that's not very courteous, ever heard the meaning (To share with one is to make new friends) and sure if my pictures bug you, its nothing compared to the spiteful insults I've put up with you over the months, and your side kick Joseph aka CRYBABY, so when is it going to quit....

Ashley

Silver Member

Post Number: 782
Jan Paul cant go back to his own thread me and Andy are there making him and Crybaby Joseph look like wimpy little teenagers,and the funny part about it is they both brought on themselves,and now as usual Paul you want to here and try to wreck a good thread that people can actually learn from.Paul didnt you notice something though its to many bright minds over here for you to contend with,so why dont you go watch some explosions or something or have a few beers and invite joseph over for a crybaby contest!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1165
Tawaun,

crybaby contest,Yeah maybe they can compare db levels, without the use of a SPL db meter.... LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1166
Jan,

The "Full Ranger" like that, I can't see if it uses a coaxial design looks like a tweeter, that is place within the centre of the dust cap, so it must be a coaxial design, I'll bet there fair nicely as the surround array placed along the side and back walls....

Silver Member

Post Number: 784
Andy im sure Joseph would win with his whining by about a db or 2 over the CVs and SVS,hey if that happened I think Paul would start crying! sorry guys lets get back to buisness Andy we have said enough to those 2 clowns,sorry Jan,Eddie,David,Tim,and Z,carry on guys Im with you.

Silver Member

Post Number: 788
Jan, have you sent the Lings to Margie yet?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5358

They're on their way and they should get there by the first of the week. For reference, it cost $25.87 to go from Dallas to Napa. $4.00 for $300 worth of insurance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 242
Napa ehh. Perhaps I should stop by!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 5359

Ashley - I don't have a clue what the "Full Ranger" refers to. Does it have something to do with the Lings?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1178
Jan,

There was a link Jan, that was under one of your posts, on this topic, I am have misunderstood it and confused it with something other, maybe the Lings was the wrong item...

Wait a second you did a review on it has well; it was with a single bass mid driver which had a tweeter in the centre of the cone...

Ashley

Gold Member

Post Number: 1179
Jan,

Gee, how do you get to, come buy in doing a review for a loudspeaker manufacture for magazines articles, sounds like a good living in reviewing it for publishing for consumers to make decisions based upon the reviewers fair point of views and judgements....

Please like to know...

Ashley

Silver Member

Post Number: 791
Thats exactly what i am looking into Andy,im sure its on a couple peoples minds on this thread.Jans well thought out review is as good as ive seen in the magazines or the online reviews,I think some of us on here have the talent for it,its not as easy as people think,but if you love the hobby like many do on this thread I cant think of a better life to live,I know it is one of my dreams.I know I have to get better with my typing skills,but I have improved by leaps and bounds since i first got on here,but its still a work in progress.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1191
Tawaun,

In this type of industry you never stop learning....

Ashley

Silver Member

Post Number: 793
Thats so very true Andy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1690
Tawaun you might want to spend about 15-20 minutes a day with some PC typing software, it's helped my wife considerably...she used to be one of those two finger typists!

Silver Member

Post Number: 794
My wife keeps trying to work with me on it shes a master typest,but I always revert back to the old 2 finger habbit,im improving Eddie but I still have real long way to go.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 606
Start by placing one space after commas, and two spaces after periods.

Silver Member

Post Number: 451
Jan,

Sorry, I was too busy reading Paul's comments and the bombs thrown back and all the punctuation advice. For a second, I thought I'd entered Marvel Teaches Typing or something.

Anyway, I listened to the Lings in two fashions -grills off and about 8 inches off the floor, toed in and about 8 feet apart and 7 feet to my preferred listening position and the same way with the grills on.

As I've explained before, because of the WAF the speakers must be in her chosen entertainment center. So, they're not at ear heighth in the front.

Then, I listened to them in the rear position on stands at ear heighth in 2 channel only.

Consequently, I listened to the Ascends and Lings at both the front and rear listening positions. Stupid, I know but that's where they were going to play in the HT system so I tried them both ways.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1566
Edster, I'm a 2 finger typist and I still beat most of my 10 finger friends to the bottom of the page. BTW 10 fingers don't help you spell and punctuate. Some of us write in shorthand and we have to accept that and enjoy everyones contributions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
OK Art,

Which two fingers do you use, that's the important question? LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1733
> BTW 10 fingers don't help you spell and punctuate.

heh Art you're right about that.

I guess I was lucky, learned how to touch type in an elective typing class in 8th grade.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2167
oh jeez Dak....

Are you one of those WAFies who allow their spouse to walk all over them?? Dont get me wrong, marriage is a two way street, but the WAF fools treat it as a 1-way street, and it's name is "Her Way". Well, at least she was nice enough to allow you to have small speakers hidden inside a cabinet. She could have said no to that too, right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 457
Paul,

Don't make me come over there, OK? LOL

My wife is pretty mellow on the spending. When I said, I'm going to spend $2000 upgrading what she thought was perfectly good HT, she didn't blink. The only condition was the speakers fit in her lovely cabinet, the dang thing cost almost as much as the original stereo and TV combined, I think. (You know the pretty doors that cover up the TV when not in use and it was the only thing that would fit the then honkin 35" Mitsubishi.) That's called compromise and it's worked so far for 28 years and counting, so don't knock it. So, it's really "Our Way" and it works pretty well.

Bronze Member

Napa, California

Post Number: 41

Dave

28 years, congratulations! Sounds like two healthy people. I would say you know the difference between giving in, giving up, and true compromise.

Silver Member

Post Number: 513
Margie,

We never tried giving up, although I'm sure she thought about several times in my more irascible, younger years. We have developed a good give and take, I give and she takes, LOL.

But yes, true compromise works. We've sorta figured out what's important, what's not and the only lines drawn in the sand are with the kids and we draw them together. Worked so far.

Paul is actually mellowing I think in in his old age, he said and I quote, "marriage is a two way street." WOW!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us