HT on a VERY small budget...

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 202
Hey guys, I am looking for some advice on a VERY low budget HT system. We have some friends that are moving into a new house in the next two weeks. Right now, they have a REALLY crappy Magnivox HTIB system...and they want to improve. As they have spent a lot of moeny on other things to go into their house, they don't have much money to spend on stereo equipment. They are also not as "enlightened" on HT as most of us are (or as willing to open the wallet for HT equipment), and they asked me to try to put something together for $400. I know it is difficult...and the results won't be spectacular...but I have a few ideas, and would welcome any thoughts and suggestions...especially on places to buy. I realize that it is really tough to get anything at this budget...but they just want something better than the crap they have now. Also, refurbished is fine. Don't include a DVD player in the budget.

Receivers
1. Onkyo 501. I know I have seen people post that they have seen refurbished models of this receiver for somewhere around $150. Where exactly was this? Elitefan...I think you were recommending this.

2. Harman Kardon 120 or 125. I found one place on the internet that had this receiver for around $200, but for some reason, they are "unavailable" right now. Does anyone have any other suggestions. Once again, refurb is fine.

Any other receiver suggestions?

Speakers
1. I found an HK speaker system on overstock.com for $234 http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=624509. I know...not great stuff...but it looks much better than the stuff they have now.

2. Energy Take 5. I have also heard this speaker package highly recommended...but I can't seem to find any prices or places that sell it. This system might be too expensive though.

Any suggestions are welcome! I don't have too much experience with this price range. I MAY be able to get them to increase their budget slightly...but lets assume that $400 is a hard budget.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 204
Ok, I think I may have answered my own question, but I am still open for suggestions. I found the following combination for a VERY good price.

1. Refurbed Onkyo TX-SR501 for $182 from www.ecost.com.
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?dpno=157373

2. Refurbed Onkyo SKS-HT510 6 speaker surround package with sub for $79.99
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/detail.asp?dpno=157391

I know, not the best system out there...but it will be much better than the crappy Magnivox HTIB they have now. Any other suggestions are welcome, but I think I will recommend this to them. It will get them in significantly under budget so they can have some money for cables and such.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 296
I normally would not recommend this on this website but for a very small budget it is worth checking out Kenwood's Home Theater in a Box systems. These have been among the best values in HTIB systems in the last few years. A few months ago Home Theater magazine reviewed the Kenwood HTIB806 system and it got a 86 for performance if my memory is correct. For just a few hundred bucks these are a good value.

Username: Doc

Post Number: 1
Hey Johnny - Yeah so good luck (mean that sincerely) finding something mind blowing for 400 or less. You might consider recommending that your friends wait to make thier upgrade when they have a little bigger budget. They will be much happier with a larger system, and it will same them from spending the money twice. Anouther suggestion that i would offer is; if you have a descent system that you would like to upgrade... maybe you could sell your equipment to them and upgrade your equipment. This saves you from more depretiation and give them an opportunity to get some good used equipment within thier budget?

Just a thought... Good luck!

Doc

Bronze Member
Username: Gdawg

Canada

Post Number: 98
Jhonny,

Receiver,
Kenwood THX VR-6070 Refurb from ecost.com for $200 (original retail, $600 US) THX certified, and 90 watts of actual power all around. Much better than the 707 that comes with the HTB-806DV.

Speakers,

Take a trip down to a local Futureshop(unfortunately only in Canada) and pick up a pair of Quest QT-88(or 66), a QC-5 and a pair of Quest QB-6. This system will BLOW you away, and it is under $400 (550$cdn)

I had this system about 2 months ago, and I couldnt beleive how little I paid for it. Much better than the HTB-806, however these are great systems for small rooms on a budget.

If you cannot get to Canada, or dont want to, go with Fluance SX-HTB. They team up with the 6070 pretty well and are a great value for the Money. You will need a subwoofer with this system however.

I wouldnt recomend HTIB systems for the most part, as they are really just DVD Players with a tiny power supply that can barely push the tiny speakers that come with the systems. Kenwood is the only real HTIB systems IMHO.

Cheers and good luck on getting a good system,

G.DawG

Username: Zums

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 6
I'm no expert....but if speaker size isn't a factor then I would say the Onkyo HT-S660. You get a real receiver (compared to kenwood HTIB), full size speakers and a sub.

Buy refurbished from www.shoponkyo.com for $390 which includes a 2 year extended warranty, free shipping and bonus speaker stands for the front worth $80.

It's a decent sounding system and would definitely be leaps and bounds over the Magnavox.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 228
G.Dawg,

I like the sounds of that Kenwood THX VR-6070 refurb, but I can't seem to find it on ecost.com. The only Kenwood receivers they list are the VR-707, the VR-615, the VR-7080, and the VR-570 Sovereign. The first two look really crappy, and the last two are way out of the price range.

Zandro,

Thanks for the site...looks awesome...especially with the free shipping. I checked the shipping cost from ecost.com for the Onkyo speaker system I listed above (SKS-HT510)...and the shipping alone was going to be $104 being as the package weighs over 100 pounds. That is a pretty steep shipping cost considering the speakers cost only $79.99.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 99
Johnny,

Here is the link, sorry I should have included it before.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=149556

Also are you in Canada?

I wouldnt recomend the Onkyo Speaker System at all, go with Fluance, Quest or Energy.

G.DawG

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 100
One more thing, I WOULD NOT purchase that speaker set as if you dont like them(which is a high chnace as they sound pretty bad)you not only have to pay the $104 to get them shipped to you, you have to pay a $16 restocking fee PLUS another $104 to send them back, ending up costing you over $300 for nothing, So I wouldnt suggest going for them, unless you can hear them in person, I think Circuit City or Best buy would carry them.

Again, good luck

G.DawG

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 455
Johnny,

I think by far the best way to go for low-cost HT is to add to your old stereo system, if you have one at all. Surely your friends had something to play CDs etc. Even moderate stereo speakers are mostly way ahead of those in HT-in-a-box. Many people do not seem to know that sound reproduction is the same whatever signal you put in, and all HT means, really, is more channels. Also, if you are willing to buy used, there are many excellent stereo speakers going for very little, just because people think, incorrectly, that there has been some sort of dramatic change in technology. Classified ads in local newspapers can reveal some amazing bargains from people just wanting to be rid of things to make space.

Silver Member

Missouri

Post Number: 229
GDawG,

Thanks for the advice. I think I may have been doing all of this research for nothing. My friends just moved in over the weekend, and promptly went out and spent over $1000 on other furnishings for their house...so the new HT is on hold for now. Like I said, they aren't into this stuff as much as most of us are...so I guess they are happy with their current equipment for now anyway (which sounds REALLY bad by the way...they had me hook it up in their new house and I had a listen). However, all is not lost...maybe if they have to wait awhile they can scrounge up some more money and get something better in the long run.

By the way, I did go to Circuit City and listen to those Onkyo speakers I was talking about. For the price, they were not that bad at all. Obviously, they are not at the high level that we have all become acustomed to, but for that kind of money, what do you expect. They sounded kind of muddled, but definately better than that Magnavox stuff that my friends have now.

John A.

Thanks for your suggestions as well. Unfortunately, my friends are recent college grads and all they really had to "play CD's" prior to their current HTIB was the very cheap "boom box" type stereo's. I am sure most college students have something similar. Buying used is something I will definately keep in mind. The stuff I was looking at on the internet was all refurbished.

I hope all is well!

Silver Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 488
Johnny,

Thanks. I've got a lot of responses to recent posts. Good luck to you and your friends. All the best.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us