2 channel vs 2.1 stereo--music only.

Username: Ejj

Post Number: 1
I've got major space issues in my house. I now have a Denon Mini-system--25w/channel. Looking to upgrade the speakers. Do I try to find an easily driven 6.5" bookshelf (Ascend, M3ti, Paradigm Mini monitor, etc), or do I go with a 5.25" bookshelf with small subwoofer (M2, 600 s3, etc...) Old house and sensitive wife dictate that space is a huge issue.

Also, I'm a bit wary of ordering speakers over the internet. I can find PSB, NHT, Para, and B&W locally...no clue about wharfedale or JMlab...
Any advice?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1498
I can't imagine 6.5" bookshelf taking up that much more space than a 5.25" one. Go with whichever sounds better to you.

As for internet ordering, if you don't mind paying significantly more locally, buy locally. Of the brands you listed Paradigm in my opinion offers the best price to quality ratio.

A sub however would be recommended regardless of which speaker size you choose, particularly if you are keeping the 25wpc minisystem. The price advantage of Internet direct however is ESPECIALLY pronounced when it comes to subs...a $400 Hsu or SVS sub will easily crush any $400 store bought sub, in fact it will probably crush most store bought subs up to $1000.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 697
Erik-

Ascends or Aperions ordered online would probably be the way to go. They allow a 30 day trial period, so you can return them if you find that your mini-system is inadequate to get the best sound from them. The Paradigm's are fine too--but you don't have a 30 day return.

Edster is right on target about subwoofers. HSU, SVS, and Outlaw Audio all offer quality subwoofers online with a 30 day return policy. For your mini-system the new self-powered Outlaw Audio LFM-2 at $299 would be a great addition. Hsu and Outlaw collaborated on this small, but high quality self-powered subwoofer.

The self-powered subwoofer will allow your mini-system to use its total power to drive your small bookshelf speakers--thus getting as much performance as possible from small amplification.

Of course, you could just order the bookshelf speakers first and see if you can live without a subwoofer for the time being.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4973

It is not just the dimensions of the low frequency driver that give the speaker its bass extension. (I assume that is what we're talking about here; isn't it? You think you need the bass extension beyond what a 5.25" driver can produce?) The enclosure volume will dictate the parameters of the design as much as the working parameters of the driver. A long throw 5.25" driver will give you (arguably) "better" bass response, including bass extension, than a "typical" 6.5" driver in a similarly sized box.

Listen before you buy (meaning don't buy something you have only read about) and you will be able to determine what you require in your room for your music. And realize that unless you listen at extremely loud volumes or to music which truly contains deep bass, you shouldn't need more than 40Hz extension in your room. When you figure room gain into the equation, that allows most speakers that can go to 50-55Hz on paper to reach low enough to reproduce most instruments.

http://psbspeakers.com/FrequenciesOfMusic.html

Silver Member
Username: Falp

Portugal

Post Number: 140
I have a Denon D-100 system with 2x40w + Celestion 3 MkII speakers that sounds very good.

I had a MJ Ref100 sub connected with Hi-level input with great results!

I considered buying the MJ Ref 100 or a REL Quake and then keep it to the next Hifi/AV upgrade.

Recommended. I would go for the Quake maybe.

Username: Ejj

Post Number: 2
OK--the internet sub purchase makes sense--I have been waiting for the little Outlaw sub, but still not sure if it is for me. Again, only music on this little system--no need to shake the house. 2.0 or 2.1?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1543
2.1 unless you have the dough for truly full-range speakers which start around $1300-1600/pair or so depending on how picky you are.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1507
Speaking of subs the Hsu & SVS thing with price really doesn't hold up for music. Tannoy makes the TS series of subs which are more musical than anything in their price range.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1547
Art,

I know you hated the SVS sub you returned but have you ever listened to a Hsu? They're supposed to be more musical than SVS.

According to this site the Tannoy TS ways 15.4 lbs...surely that's a typo?

http://www.usspeaker.com/Tannoy%20TS%20Subwoofers-1.htm

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1510
Edtser, that is the 8 inch sub. They are very small and very musical downfiring subs. I heard the Hsu (VTF2) last time I was at Speakerlab in Seattle. Better than SVS but still not the ultimate in musicality. I didn't really hate the SVS, it just wasn't as musical as I had hoped for. I actually liked it better overall than the $1700 B&W ASW750. It took a few days to realize just how bad the B&W was.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1548
you're right, the 10" ($500) is 21lbs and the 12" ($800) is 28lbs.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TS10

In contrast, the Rocket UFW-10 ($600) which is also a sealed sub is 52lbs. I'm hoping to get it B-stock for closer to $400, waiting to get a reply from av123.com by the middle of next week.

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=subwoofers&product=1.1

Somehow that weight difference biases me in favor of the Rocket. Oh well, tomorrow I'll have a chance to test it out for a few hours, will report back.

Did you also hear the Tannoys personally? I have no doubt that they are musical if you say so, but I am a little concerned about SPL given my 6000 cubic foot listening room.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1513
Yes I listened to the TS10 which I liked very much. Stereotypes in Portland carries them and matches them up with very high end gear. If your into high SPL's look elsewhere. The Tannoy's aren't the loudest but they do the job very nicely at normal listening levels for music. They're not as good as my Era but then again you have to spend alot more to get near the Sub 10.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us