Ian Masters: all amps sound the same

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1467
http://www.mastersonaudio.com/audio/20020901.htm

Wondered what you guys think of this. Contradicts my own personal experience, but maybe I've just been deluding myself the whole time?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4940

Ed - You posted the "ten lies" article also. Stop reading this crap! It rots your brain.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1471
LOL, I figured you wouldn't be too fond of Mr. Masters.

I was given that link on another forum where I was asking about CDPs:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=11394#post11394

I have considerably more reservations about Master's article than Aczel's, just based on my own personal experience going from low- to mid-fi.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 387
Ed - I like reading articles like that. Did you read the actual experiment that the author is referring to? In the experiment, they used a tube pre-amp. I think it would have a lot more credibility if they used a passive pre-amp. Here's a link discussing how and why they can sound different -

http://www.roger-russell.com/truth/truth.htm

He's a former engineer for McIntosh. There's no direct link, but click on the headings on the top. Talks about amps, cd players, cables, and so on. I tend to listen to the McIntosh guys. They usually eliminate a lot of the mysticism in all of this. I just wish I could afford their gear...

CoolieBoy
Unregistered guest
Hi All...

I have one question, I am hooking up my polk Rti4's into my HK-AVR 635, and i am using a 5.1 setup. My question is... what input does the speaker go into, the R&L surround, or R&L surround back. The surround speakers will be behind the listener. Does it matter where it goes into??

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4943

If you find the archives for the "Ten Lies" thread, Gregory Stern used this article (among others) to try to prove his point to me that what measures alike sounds alike. About everything I have to say about this "experiment" has been said on that thread.

There are several flaws in this blind test. The most obvious being it was not set up to test the equipment but to test the listening panel. This test and article refer to something that happened about fifteen years ago, if I remember correctly.

I'm really not interested in these sorts of things which, as the author states, "can always raise a fine argument among sound people by bringing up this topic". These end up in shout matches on this forum and, like political "discussions" between Carville and Novak on CNN, don't get anything resolved or minds changed.

If you want to add something current to the mix, I suggest you begin with the most recent "As we see it" column from Stereophile which discusses blind tests once again. This is the first of two articles that have appeared recently:

http://stereophile.com/asweseeit/705awsi/

Gold Member

Post Number: 1479
Jan, I'd love to get some input from you on that CDPs thread on the Ascend forum I linked to above.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1457
Geez Eddie I sure hope you ain't buyin' what those knuckleheads are sayin'. I have 2 very good players right here that I can hear the difference between with ease. It isn't about golden ears or any other such bull. It's about trained ears. Years and years of experience.

Read the "As We See It" in the August issue of Stereophile. It's on page 3 and the title is "The Blind Leading the Blind".

Gold Member

Post Number: 1480
well Art I'm withholding judgement until I can bring in my Sony (and possibly Quinn's Pioneer) into my local dealer's to abx against his NAD players. On one hand I'd love to have an excuse to just get a decent subwoofer right now not a few months from now but on the other if the CDP really does make a bigger difference I'd go with that first.

Right now I am just trying to understand something concrete about CDP technology itself---whether the possibility of one CDP sounding markedly better than another makes any technical sense, and exactly what advances have occurred in CDPs today versus 5-10 years ago.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4946

Ed - What do you want me to comment on?

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 601
Eddie dont fix your mind to believe that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1483
Jan,

several of the posters' basic argument is that DACs have been a mature technology for many years now which would explain how (anecdotal) blind testing of cheap vs. more expensive CDPs always show no audible differences between the two.

However the CDP manufacturers' sales pitches are not based solely on the claim to their having better DACs but also on the claim to their having better electrical components which they claim will produce "dramatically" (a very elastic word yes it is) better SQ.

Of course these are not $2000 CDPs I'm comparing but all CDPs under $500, for example the NAD c542 versus a Sony, Marantz, Pioneer or Music Hall.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1484
Tawaun,

I'm just trying to collect data before I go in for the A/B test, that's all...

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4952

Ignore the word "dramatically" and read your second paragraph again. More later.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1894
Eddie,
Are you falling for one of those 10 lies??

Gold Member

Post Number: 1485
oh, I think "one" is probably generous of you! lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us