I like the Athena AS-F2 - what else should I consider?

Thasp
Unregistered guest
So far, I've tried a few different speakers. I'm looking for a pair of floorstanders, $600-$800 American.

Sony floorstandings - disgusting.

Klipsch RB-75s w/ sub, a bit too bright, and I disliked the midrange on many Klipsch... it just sounded too tipped in favor to the treble, opposed to more treble with the same amount of midrange and bass. I also tried a few synergy floorstandings, same thing.

Athena AS-F2 - this is the kind of sound I'm looking for! Was clear, neutral, and awesome, even with the el cheapo Yamaha receiver and horrible listening conditions at the store.

JBL, well, just sounded a bit "off". Like the Athenas if they had frayed wiring or something.. I can't exactly pinpoint it, I just disliked it.

The rest in Best Buy was just horrible for me in comparison to the Athena AS-F2

I was looking at the Paradigm Monitor 9s, yet I can't find a lot of reviews or feedback on them. Paradigm is a highly regarded company so I don't want to leave them out of consideration, yet there is nowhere I can go to try them so I don't know. Axiom M60ti was also considered, yet I'm afraid they could be bright like the Klipsch too, and I have nowhere to go to try them - I'd prefer a bright receiver/neutral speaker combo to a warm/neutral receiver with a bright speaker combo.. it really irks me.

Basically, I'm looking for speakers that have the same kind of sound as the Athenas, just perhaps slightly better or from different companies so I can try and audition/research different speakers I may like before making a final decision on Athenas.

Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 8
Ya know, I heard the Klipsch RB75s without a subwoofer in an audio store and loved them. Also heard the Klipsch Synergys at BestBuy. Only liked the Largest floorstander. BestBuy has the Athenas too and I'd like to hear them but dammit, how can you audition a speaker at BestBuy?? The situation sucks with the store noise and you can't pop in your own music. So you like the Athena AS-F2s? I'll go take a listen to them today...

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 467
I would definitely consider the Paradigms in the equation. The Axiom M60s are a very strong contender and if you can spare the few dollars more I would get it over the ASF-2. I have both the M60 and ASF-2 and the M60 edges out over the ASF-2 in terms of staging and clarity in the midrange. The hardest comparison to make with the Athena ASF-2 is the Axiom M50 (which I also had)and i was hard pressed to find which has the advantage. If price was the issue I'd get the Athena over the Axiom, for they are both excellent speakers.
If you want, you could audition the ASF-2 in your home for 30 days and return it to Best buy if you don't like it. just don't buy the extended warranty, the Athenas already carry a 5 year warranty from the manufacturer.
cheers

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 9
Just listened to the Athena AS-F1s (The AS-F2s were not hooked up). Compared them to the ugly Klipsch Synergy SF-3s. I liked them both as I thought the sound was very similar. The Klipch were more "in your face"....maybe clearer. Hard to tell in BestBuy. Wish they had an audio room. Think I would go with the Athenas. I am also going to hear the Paradigm Studio 40's and as I said I heard and liked the Klipsch RB75s.

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 10
OH YES....Who in the world would buy those SONY speakers! They ARE simply awful!!!

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 368
Thasp,
You haven't mentioned what you will be driving these speakers with but you mentioned Paradigm and for your budget I would recommend the Monitor 7. List is $699 a pair and I have always preferred the 7 to the 9 in all three versions. To me it sounds better and is a better buy as it's a couple hundred or so cheaper. I would like to know what receiver or amp you have to give you some other alternatives but for the money the Paradigm 7 is hard to beat.

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 524
Thasp:

What speaker you buy is strongly related to what electronics you have to drive them. You like the Athenas, but as they are a bit bright sounding, you need a receiver/amp that is not going to also sound bright or you will hate the sound. Likewise, Paradigms are a little laid back, so they don't work with a relaxed sounding receiver. So let us know what you have and we can make informed suggestions.

Bronze Member
Username: Trailerparkking

Grand Rapids, MI

Post Number: 31
Thasp,
I don't know if you have made your purchase yet but if the Athena's are what you want Audioadvisor.com has them for $400.

Take care!

swampcat
Unregistered guest
The klipsch SF-3's are bright but much clearer and alive than Athenas. Try both at high volumes. The klipsch, though bright, will play more clearly and accurate. Klipsch does not blurr or distort at high power input. Make the best buy guy play your discs, not the ones they pre select. They can do it even though they will not like too. Another thing ,remember the receivers they use in best buy aren't the best. Hey also check the setting's on that rec. they have hidden away.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 27
I have the Athenas. They are very nice and detailed with delicate music but they can really rock too. The Klipsch are "in your face". I think this is what you call "alive". I think the Athenas have a more open sound while the Klipsch had a sweet spot when you got between them. Overall the sound is similar. It's personal preference all the way. I like the way the Athenas look with and without grills. I don't like the black box. Don't drive either of these with a Yamaha, too bright and metallic. I switched to a NAD amp. Still a tiny bit edgy. I had heard that there are amps out there that emulate a tube sound. I would have liked to have tried one of those with the Athenas.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 559
Thasp:

You probably like the Athenas for their detail, which is quite good (but can be fatiguing with the wrong electronics). However, there is a speaker in your price range that has even better detail and is smoother sounding, too. That would be the Magnepan MMGs, available factory direct for only $550, delivered. Here is the link:

http://www.magnepan.com/

Just click on the link in the upper left hand corner titled "An Offer We Hope You Can't Refuse." The MMGs are, IMO, the best speaker in the world for under $1K. Try them in your home for 60 days and see if you don't agree--in the rare event you don't, you simply ship them back and they refund your entire $550.

The only caveat is that you have to have an amp that is capable of driving 4 ohm speakers. Your post did not specify what electronics you have, so let me know.

Unregistered guest
Of course Rick B. would suggest the Ohm MicroTalls at $900, and Maui the GMA Europa's at $800. I'm waiting for Rick's review of the Europa's after his epiphone with the Ohm's...

Hawk, what would you suggest to drive the MMG's? Within reasonable price range of course...

cruckajuck
Unregistered guest
Hi guys

I've been seriously considering the AS-F2, and I was wondering what your opinions were on how a Onkyo TX-SR601 would drive them. I'm building my new (first) setup piece by piece, the first being the front floorstanders.

Is the SR601 going to push enough to these speakers, and not sound too harsh/bright?

Thanks for any input, this forum has been informative.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 571
your Onkyo is more than adequate to drive them, and I don't think they will be bright at all.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 563
Marc C:

To drive MMGs, you need lots of power combined with an ability to drive a 4 ohm load. An NAD T753 would be my choice for an AVR, but if all you want is 2 channel, see my other post in response to your post on the other thread. First choice would be the NAD C160/C270 pre-amp/amp combo. Second choice is an NAD C372 integrated. Third choice is a Rotel RX-1050 receiver. Each choice can be obtained for under $800.

Unregistered guest
Much thanks Hawk. If those can drive Maggies, they can drive anything...

Bronze Member
Username: Maximo

Post Number: 16
The Maggies are great speakers and if your willing to shell out the cash to buy a receiver to drive them adequately; I say go for it. However, if you do decide to go with the athenas (asf2), I recommend you think hard about your receiver (as with any speakers). I personally believe then Onkyo will be able to drive them but it will be a little on the bright side.

I have the asf2s hooked to a harman kardon 525. In certain scenes of movies, they can still be bright. (most of the time they are very warm sounding) In the movie "Fight Club," when Edward Norton is on the air plane and it gets hit by another plane, this scene is EXTREMELY loud and the athen'a tweeters really scream.

Anyways, the NAD's Hawk recommends will also compliment the Athena's nicely.

Bronze Member
Username: Robertinchico

Post Number: 74
The most recent issue of AUDIO ADVISOR has the venerable largest Athena's on sale for $400 per pair. Those interested can get the Athena, replete with it's HEFTY output capabilities for $200 off regular price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us