Best Receiver Option - HELP Please

Username: Raks

Post Number: 2
Hi,

I am in a big confusion. I need to buy a Home Theater Reciever that goes with my Polk R50 ( front and surrounds ) and Polk CSi3 Center Channel Speaker. I play CDs and DVDs 50:50 ratio. I like real Warm Music, but not too bright. At the same time I like Real Zip in Home Theater Effects. I have boiled down my options to 4 receivers in this order of preference.

1. Marantz SR-5500 ($600)
2. Marantz SR-8400 ($560 in auction)
3. Harmon Kardon AVR-635 ($800 out of my budget)
4. Pioneer VSX-1015TX ($450)

Please let me know what would you recommend me to go with for my set-up. I prefer Marantz SR-8400 bcoz of its musical performance, but have put Marantz SR-5500 on the top because of the "Lip Sync" feature it has. Please let me know whether "Lip Sync" needs to be high on my list as I am planning to go with HD in less than 2 years. Plan is to have Marantz SR-5500 hooked upto a Warm Sounding Amplifiers like NAD, ROTEL. Will be upgrading my speakers when I can afford ( may be in 3 yrs )

Please help me with my options with your experiences / opinions.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1441
Of those 4 I'd put the Marantz 8400 first, then the HK 635, then the Marantz 5500 and lastly the Pioneer.

The R50s might not do any of those receivers justice however.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 864
Up late too huh Ed?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1442
yep, had two strong IPAs to try to cancel out all the caffeine I've had today...it's been a long hectic week!

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1850
Heck, I'm up late, but because I was watching movies, drinking beer, and eating pizza:-)

Grolsch??....anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 228
I would second Edster, but I'm not up that late.

Username: Raks

Post Number: 3
Edster and Stof...Thanks for letting me know your opinion. As per the research I did over the NET about Lip Sync Problems with HD, I am assuming it is a very needed feature in the receiver. With this , my options are:

1. HK AVR 635 - Lip Sync Delay approx upto 90 milli secs (actually AVR 630 model)

2. Marantz SR-5500 - Lip Sync delay approx upto 240 Milli Secs

Can anyone let me know what is the maximum Lip Sync delay that we should be taking care of using a receiver's "Lip Sync Delay" feature ? Once this is decided, my options will be clear.

Please let me know

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 561
my dad got a HDTV and my family sees no delay problems. depends on what TV you buy for the delay problem. has nothing to do with HD material, its the type of TV. he uses a marantz SR5400.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us