So many speakers so little time

Username: Cr0sst

Post Number: 3
Im looking between 3 brands of speakers for my 7.1 Yamaha receiver, JBL, Klipsch, and Athena. Im looking to have that movie theater sound w/ movies and good sound as well for playing SACD's.Wondering which brand everyone would recommend and which speakers would work best.
thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3300
Have you listened to any of these?
A lot of listeners are not fond of the Yamaha and the speaker brand combination you mentioned...a little on the bright side and may cause listening fatigue. It is important that you listen to them first.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 574
Do you listen to music as much as you watch movies?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 889
I auditioned Yamaha for my HT with JBL's and did not like how sharp and fatiguing it was. I went for a Denon and got a little warmer performance in the price bracket from that setup. If you like music more than movies, as Tawaun said , you may want to consider a totally different setup though.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1155
Each of the suggested brands has a pretty wide range of sound and quality. More details would be nice. For example, you can buy Klipsch speakers for as little as $230 a pair (B-2) or as much as $7000 a pair (new Klipschorns). They don't sound the same.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 893
I would imagine you might be shopping at BB since they carry all three brands?

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1157
Well, BB also sell Bose, Sony and Yamaha speakers. So I guess he did a good job in the 1st cut!

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 894
lol

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 587
Yeah you have to give him credit for that.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1893
Of the three listed, I like the Klipsch best for movies. I also agree that he should listen to the speakers for himself before buying anything.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

Warren, MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2585
As others have basically said If you want good music listening too I would choose
another reciever if those are your speaker choices.

Also what peter said all those speaker companies have some not so great speakers
and some very good ones. I would pair those type of speakers with the likes of an HK
or pioneer elite or marrantz reciever to somewhat tone them down. They will still do
what is needed for home theatre but won't be ear pearcing for music.

Post Number: 4
yea, i was choosing between those three b/c i was getting a "good price" on the speakers. But just out of curiosity, what places do home auditions? Also i was looking at something like the JBL dual 6" floor standings and dual 6" center(e80 and c35 i think), and maybe 5" bookshelves for the surround. Perhaps the receiver is overkill.

Post Number: 5
also what would be better between JBL or Klipsch if im looking at about northridge and synergy series

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 394
"Home auditions" as you are thinking are generally done by small privately owned companies that are selling very expensive equipment. "Home audition" in this instance means take them home and listen to them. Best Buy doesn't charge you a re-stocking fee if you bring them back within their return period - make sure you confirm this for yourself though. If you've got extra room on a credit card, buy two different complete set ups or two or three different fronts, compare them on your equipmet in your home, and return the ones you don't like. This way you will know exactly which ones you like the best.

Best Buy is not a very good place to compare different speakers directly against each other. Their are too many background noises, and their are no rooms that attempt to mimic actual living spaces. Their is no way that any of the gear you buy there will sound anything like it does in the store, unless of course you live in a warehouse.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1911
robert,

This is my take comparing the JBL to the Klipsch. Sound quality wise they are similar, and someone will probably be able to argue on behalf of either speaker sounding better. Which sounds best is a judgement call and based solely on personal preference.

With everything else being equal, I like the Klipsch horns for durability and loudness. With the JBL, you might have a bigger chance of blowing out a tweeter, while on the other hand, the horns are very durable.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 909
I have a friend in mgmt at a BB store. He was telling me about the demographics they have been studying and are now putting into play. The stores in GA will be defined by the demographic customer they have compiled using all the info they have been collecting. For example, the downtown stores will cater to a higher end customer with auditioning rooms and much higher end selection, while some of the suburban stores (near malls) will cater to the casual and maybe "media" oriented customer. They give the stores names based on the demographic profile they create for different types of shoppers. Sounds cool but it will be neat to actually see it in practice. I am not sure whether this will translate to other states right now , but changes at GA stores are almost complete.

I myself have the older JBL northridge for my HT setup and like it. I do not however like it for music.

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 382
Joseph,

You're right on on the new BB store profiles. Yes, they are doing this nationwide and, I believe, they have the stores in place and they're retrofitting some stores to allow "in house" auditions with dedicated listening rooms. Needless to say, Spokane won't get such a store. LOL

Robert, it would be very helpful to know something about your music preference, room size, budget, etc. to comment on the speakers. I did side by sides on some JBLs and Klipsch in the $1000/pair and under range and went with something entirely different.

Post Number: 6
room size isnt huge, its an apartment, so about 15 by 15. I listen to mainly rock, maybe some classical if the mood is right. I am really mainly buying them to try to get something close to that movie theater clarity and base for watching movies and for like Xbox or Playstation

Gold Member

Post Number: 1914
If you're in an apartment, I recommend bookshelf speakers, and you should forget about the subwoofer.

Save that for when you have your own place:-)

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1179
That's a condescending remark!

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 155
Actually I tend to agree with the subwoofer statement. My little 50 watt 8" sub has P.O.ed several neighbors when I was living in an apartment.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 235
Joseph very interesting post about BB changing direction. Are you aware of what lines they are carrying in their high end stores?

I'm interested to know if this experiment will work to say upgrade the taste of some people who might otherwise not even know what the higher end lines are. Also I'm curious as to what manufacturer of the higher end will start to cater to BB. They would have to seriously uptick their production line and deal with quality issues and perhaps even loose their present market segment by becoming known as a BB product.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1915
Aww give me a break peter!

Nobody in their right mind should go out and buy large loudspeakers or a subwoofer if they live in an apartment in the name of common sense and courtesy.

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 156
Stof: Where I live, BB has enlisted the help of Magnolia Hi-fi, and have brought in brands like Martin Logan and Def Tech.

Silver Member
Username: Nuck

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 114
so that would be in upper Spokane, DA?
hehe

Paul, didn't you say you had the 'factory down the street complaining about your apt?'
Or maybe it wasn't an apt, I have to sort the blather

Gold Member

Post Number: 1917
Yea, but I was an ignorant college kid at the time who lived in an apartment occupied 100% by other ignorant college kids.

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt that he is living in a 'real' apartment building surrounded by tenants who have real jobs and work for a living. Ya know, not the kind of place where I lived where keg parties were the weekend norm and everybody learned to live with the racket in the name of partying till you drop, and sleeping late.

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 117
Hence your current level of knowledge and expertise, no doubt.
Wouldn't want the waif to grow up and throw a tantrum after a ball fell into a speaker port...
I remember college well...
Well kinda, that is

Gold Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1180
Aww give me a break peter!

Nobody in their right mind should go out and buy large loudspeakers or a subwoofer if they live in an apartment in the name of common sense and courtesy.

Quick! Someone alert Paul that someone has broken his password!

Is this the new Paul? I like it better than the usual remarks! Thanks for that!

Silver Member

Parkhill, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 118
A Martha moment for Paulie.
Got his ankle bracelet off today and is all rebabbed and sht

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 731
If you really want that cinematic feeling, M&K make some superb kit. Their speaker solutions are mainly small satellites allied to a sub so you will have to be careful about annoying the neighbours, especially since their 'worst' sub goes down to 22hz flat. M&K are used by several studios to master their films so you will get a similar feel. In terms of music reproduction I've heard a lot worse than the M&Ks, especially in terms of sub/sat systems where nothing comes close in my view. For really good music replay you need to be looking at more typical full-size speakers. There's a plethora of good brands about, many made in the US.

Regards,
Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us