Tower Speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Stereo_genious

USA

Post Number: 24
Hi, guys. What do you think of the Sony SS-MF750H tower speakers? Are they any good? In other words, how much bass can they put out? Is it boomy when called upon? Or do these speakers sound more like oversized radios?

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 59
once upon a time i was told to run as fast as i can away from sony speakers. This coming from a sony salesmen

Silver Member
Username: Devils_advocate

Post Number: 111
Ehh I wouldn't go that far. They aren't that horrible so long as you keep price into consideration. You might as well look around at some of the other speakers in that range though. The KLH 9250B is pretty cheap (229 regular, but Ive seen em at best buy for 99 a pair before) delivers pretty solid bass too courtesy of a 12" woofer. Some people on here like Fluance speakers too, such as Charles there. They're certainly worth a look, www.fluance.com

Bronze Member

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 60
i love my fluance :-):-)

Bronze Member

Sarnia, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 61
excuse me while i go cuddle with them *wink wink*

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 26
The KLH 9250B's woofer has a foam surround, which makes me shudder.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 27
Why do you guys hate Sony speakers

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
"The KLH 9250B's woofer has a foam surround, which makes me shudder."

What do you want for 99 bucks? And why does it make you shudder? Sure, Bose takes crap for it, but they also charge 10 to 20 times more.

"Why do you guys hate Sony speakers"

We don't hate them. They are what they are, which is low end.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 30
Foam is not very durable. Plus, somebody on this forum recommended this pair to me over the Sonys, which use rubber surrounds!

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
"Foam is not very durable."

It isn't as good as rubber, no; but it isn't that bad. They can be chemically treated to prevent rot, and as a result last quite a while. Again though, what do you want for 99 bucks?

But the main question is sound quality. Have you actually listened to the KLH? Or are you just writing it off for having foam surrounds which you heard are bad?

"Plus, somebody on this forum recommended this pair to me over the Sonys, which use rubber surrounds!"

I apologize. We aren't used to people asking us about crap speakers like Sony.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 789
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Devil, you gave me so much cr@p for talking down about low end speakers that I had not heard, what is this here "I apologize. We aren't used to people asking us about crap speakers like Sony."
Come on now, you see where I was coming from?

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
Joe: I've heard both the Sony's and KLH's though! I visit Best Buy every so often after all. I'm intrigued by Athena's new slim floorstander with extruded aluminum cabinet. I'm turned off by the 5 passive radiators though.

Mike: One other thing, I didn't recommend the KLH over the Sony, I suggested that you check out other items in the same price class, which included the KLH.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 795
Let me ask you this Devil, from you audition of Sony's towers that sounded crap, would you also deduct that a simular tower speaker, same price range, from another company would totally outshine the Sony(considering it was probably made in the same country with same stock materials in construction). I would, that is why I made an hypothesis about SDAT's and posted them without listening. I too have heard all the mass market crap at the BB stores and others and have come to the conclusion that price definitely means something in this industry(unless we are talking about Bose). No hard feelings Devil, I just wanted to clear up the image you may have painted of me.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 479
Joeseph ,you dont know what hell you are talking about you have been on hear running your mouth about the SDATs which is a much better speaker than the KLH or Sony speakers ,about a speaker you have never heard.What makes you think that those Rainmakers are so good?Well I hate to bust your bubble they are not.I have had substantial time with them and wouldnt own them,and yes I would prefer the SDATs SBe 639 over them every day of the week.You have to hear something before you can judge,so stop blowing hot air!

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
I understand what your argument was Joe. And yes I do agree there is a limit as to how good a product can be given its price. But there can be quite a bit of variation at a given price is my argument.

And no, I don't have any hard feelings over it. You seem to be a nice enough guy, and I can live with minor disagreements.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 32
No, I have not listened to the KLH. I do have KLH bookshelves in my room, and they have no bass. How much bass can those KLH towers put out? Do they hit hard, do they sound boomy, are they great for bass addicts like me? Need opinions please. I do apologize for bashing them, though.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 33
And why do you think Sony is crap? I need details please.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
"How much bass can those KLH towers put out? Do they hit hard, do they sound boomy, are they great for bass addicts like me?"

Yes; a 12" woofer all things being equal can push more air than dual 8" woofers can. And they do have plenty of bass, which is why I suggested them.

"And why do you think Sony is crap? I need details please. "

They, and most cheap speakers are built like junk. Their cabinets resonate like crazy which colors the sound. Their crossovers and drivers are cheaply made, which again, messes with the sound. Mind you, the KLH isn't better in my opinion, but I think it might be more suited for your tastes.

My personal choice of speakers is Cambridge Soundworks; which while not top of the line, it gets the job done for me. But to do a comparison, take their Tower II versus your Sony. The Sony weighs 31 pounds and is 41" tall. The CSW speaker on the other hand is only 35" tall, and is quite literally double the weight. That weight goes into a much better built cabinet which prevents resonance, heavier magnets for the drivers, etc.

While you can't gather all your info from weight, it is a sure indicator if a speaker is too light.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 35
Resonate? How does that affect the sound? Does it boost or cut anything? Does it boost the bass, midrange, or treble? If resonance boosts the bass, then I'm going with the Sonys.

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 487
In most DA,but not all remember that!

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 39
What's DA?

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
I'm DA, Mike.

"Resonate? How does that affect the sound? Does it boost or cut anything? Does it boost the bass, midrange, or treble? If resonance boosts the bass, then I'm going with the Sonys."

Resonance refers to the vibrations speaker cabinets make. It distorts the sound of your speakers. Judging by your tastes though, you probably wouldn't mind it. It wont boost your bass...

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 41
What do you mean by distort? Sorry if I sound like a question machine.

CoolieBoy
Unregistered guest
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wudd up...

Quick question... just want some reviews as to whether you guys think the sound system i bought was any good...

Polk Audio RTi12
CSi3
Rti4
Velodyne DPS Sub
HK AVR-635

lemmie know what you guys think

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
Basically when your speaker cabinets vibrate, they also create sound. Think of a subwoofer in someones car trunk. When the sub hits, it causes the trunk to vibrate a bit, which also creates noise, but one that sounds like crap.

Resonance leads to less defined sound, looser bass, etc. If you want a tight defined bass punch, resonance is your enemy. If you want it to sound more like the average teens car stereo w/ multiple Bazooka subs in the trunk, then it doesn't matter so much.

Bronze Member

USA

Post Number: 43
I want it to sound like a teen's stereo. Are sony speakers perfect for that?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 543
yes. cheap and make noise. go for it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 136
The KLH is still cheaper and has more bass though.

Unregistered guest
HEY MIKE, IF YOU LOVE THE SOUND OF YOUR SONY SPEAKERS THAT'S WHAT COUNTS. EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT EAR FOR SOUND, SO GO WITH YOUR EAR AND GUT FEELING...........

Bronze Member
Username: Soundideas

Post Number: 26
I think the SDAT SB-E639D speakers are one of the best deals out there with a little help! I didn't like the bass performance of these speakers so I took the subwoofers out and put more damping around the subwoofers. I used QuiltFlex from www.memoryfoam.com for damping, GREAT STUFF! I took the damping that was already in these speakers out and put this QuiltFlex around the side and back walls of the cabinets where the subwoofers are. I only put this QuiltFlex above the cross brace only, I didn't put anything below this cross brace at the bottom of the cabinets. Big improvement! The bass now is great! It is richer, deeper and cleaner and blends a lot better with the mids and highs now. This is a great speaker now!

Silver Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 172
Mike, all this ranting and raving has gotten everyone off the point of the thread: what do we think of the sony tower speakers?

the only good answer anyone here can give you is what do YOU think of the sony tower speakers?

if you like them, buy them.

all any of us can reccommend is to listen to as many speakers as you can, preferably at your home where they will be used.

basically all anyone can say is: buy what you like, because you are the one that will be listening to it everyday.

PS: IMHO, sony isn't bad at all for the price, sure you can spend $20,000 and get a pair of B&W 800 D's, but as with everything else, you get what you pay for.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us