Receiver HELP

Username: Jbs2k6

Knoxville, Tennessee USA

Post Number: 1
Hi, I have the Athena AS-F1,as-c1, and as-b1 setup. I've read that these are a great deal and that is why I have them. However, I would like to know if my Pioneer VSX-d412 is holding them back a lot. I have seen it bundled with HTIBs and it is/was the bottom receiver that Pioneer makes. Although it's rated at 100watts across 5 channels, I see 700 dollar denons rated at that as well. Are pioneers watts overinflated big or what? It just seems the treble gets harsh and strained (not just bright) when you turn up pretty loud and sound kind of boxy (honky mids). I'm no engineer, but this seems bad for speakers so highly touted. I'm getting nowhere near the performance of my cousin's Classe power amps and stuff. I know that's obvious, but his speakers are relatively the same in size. single 8" fronts and such, 5" rears. I'm looking at the Denon avr-1905 or 2105. Would either of those give a big boost or what would you recommend? Needs to be US500 or under. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1401
Don't know much about the Denons msyelf, but I am familiar with the Pio 412---yep you get what you pay for!

For $500 you should be able to get a Harman Kardon 335, 435 or better from Harman Audio on eBay...full original direct manufacturer's warranty.

The other option would be a Marantz 5500. Or you could also try one of the pure-digital receivers from Panasonic (sa-xr55) or JVC for around $250-350...get from some place like jandr.com with a nice liberal return policy so you can switch it out if you don't like it.

Username: Hallen1007

Charlotte, North Carolina USA

Post Number: 9
Avery experienced guy that used to sell hi end stuff had a simple formula for all this power crap. Simply check the back or bottom of the receiver and look for the power consumption. If it says 200 watts, then how can it be 100 x 5 or whatever. Cannot put out more than it consumes. Also, check the Marantz 5500, the Harmon Kardons on ebay, or the Denon 1905.

Username: Jbs2k6

Knoxville, Tennessee USA

Post Number: 2
thanks a lot!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us