Onkyo TX-NR901

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 240
I added the Onkyo TX-NR901's review from the April 2004 issue of Sound and Vision to the Sound & Vision Test Reports. I'm shocked... again... Onkyo's lower line doesn't run at rated power with all channels driven. Will the madness ever end. I still respect the Integra series and have looked at it for my whole house audio.

Remember we kept saying "buy by weight"... welll, the NR901 just blows that claim. It is 42.5lbs and the advertised 110Wx7 is only 50W at 5 channels driven (not even all 7 channels). Should read the review. The reviewer still thinks it's a great receiver (I like the Ethernet port myself), but it went into PROTECTION at 45W into 4 or more channels after 4 seconds. They did caveat it to read that "real-world" probably wouldn't drive it to those levels... as you know we have mentioned on this forum that 40W is more than enough to drive most speakers to deafening levels. Caveat Emptor.

Username: Iamcanadian

Post Number: 6
I recently bought the Onkyo TX-NR801 and have it running three 4ohm PSB fronts and a pair of PSB 6ohm rears. I have the receiver switched to 4ohm load on the back, and the speakers have an average 92-93db sensitivity. The Onkyo drives the speakers very uncomfortably loud with no distortion. I have a sub, run the speakers in small, except for the mains, and have the crossover freq. set to the default 80hrz. The room I am in isn't excessively large, but it is big (15X25 with 8' ceilings), and has all cinderblock walls covered in plaster with carpeted floor. I have run all five channels on the Onkyo to 70 on a linear volume circuit going from 0-100, but went no further because that was as loud as I could take it without ear protection. Receiver temp was quite low, warm but not hot, and it never went into protection for the 45 min. I ran it loud (I left the room, I used to do security at concerts, so I'm not daft when it comes to loud noise and hearing loss).
Now I am not stating that everyone will have the same experience I did with my Onkyo. I have a feeling that running low ohm speakers was a big factor, and DO have reservations that the Onkyo would perform as well pushing an 8ohm load. It may be able to hit the same volume, maybe, but I think it would have to be cranked or near it, but that lends itself to distortion and heat problems.
Of course I am speculating as to the 8ohm performance of the TX-NR801, as I have never tried it, I am only speaking to my experience with my Onkyo and speakers. However, if you find yourself in a similar situation as mine, you can rest assured you will have enough power.

Nib High Football Rules!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us