Help! Speakers added to 600w system!

Anonymous

I have (2) two 8 ohm - 200 watt Sony speakers that I am adding to my 600w receiver (6.1) as front spkrs. My front center speaker is an 8 ohm - 150 watt, as are my two rear speakers. I am not presently using my rear center channel. My sub-woofer is 40 watt.

First, my receiver should be able to handle this configuration with no problem, correct? My 8 ohm "status" accross the board is a good thing, right?

Second, what if I were to add a 6th channel of another 150 watt 8 ohm speaker? What then?

Third, and last, since my total system is 600w, how is the output divided between my channels? Will any of the speakers "hog" or demand more of the output (watts) than any other? I.E Will my two front speakers output the same as my center front, etc.? I know my receiver setting will have some to do with this. Is it worth (or possible) to add an additional receiver to handle nothing but perhaps the two front channels?

Thanks for your help.....I'm green. Just want to do it right.

Gold Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1057
First, my receiver should be able to handle this configuration with no problem, correct?

I suppose so.

My 8 ohm "status" accross the board is a good thing, right?

Yes.

Second, what if I were to add a 6th channel of another 150 watt 8 ohm speaker? What then?

Still no real problem anywhere...

since my total system is 600w, how is the output divided between my channels?

You should simply balance them using the provided test tone such that they all sound equally loud with the same input. Don't worry about the rest. And don't worry about Watts so much.

Is it worth (or possible) to add an additional receiver to handle nothing but perhaps the two front channels?

Unlikely worth it, and possible only if your receiver has pre-outs for those channels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us