Receiver Help

Username: Anino1

Post Number: 5
Hello--

I'm struggling with a decision to purchase a new receiver. I have a Yamaha RXV-1000 driving Definitive Mythos, but I've tripped it's protection circuits quite a few times. I'm looking to upgrade to either the Denon 3805 or the Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi. Thoughts anyone?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 957
Denon. But compare and make your own decision.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1363
Ditto.

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 86
If you're limiting yourself to those 2 selections, I would agree on the Denon. But if you're open to other suggestions, I would look at the HK AVR635 or AVR7300 as well as the Marantz SR7500 or SR8400

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the input. Are there any specifics you can provide regarding the Denon, relative to the Pioneer or others, that makes the Denon the hands down favorite?

Anonymous

When I listened to both it seemed to me that the Denon had a wider, fuller soundstage

Username: Hallen1007

Charlotte, North Carolina USA

Post Number: 1
I had the same situation, and I narrowed it to the DEnon 3805 and the Marantz 7500. On music, the Marantz sounded a tad better. On movies, they were about the same. In Charlotte I got it for 820.00. I was going to buy online, but being able to get my hands on the person selling me something should I need them means more to me than saving 30 bucks. They are both good, but I would go with the Marantz. I liked the Denon remote, as it looks cool, but the buttons are way too small.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1366
I agree with Herman that if you have Marantz or HK available, they trump the Denon.

anonymousII
Unregistered guest
As has been said you should hear as many of these receivers with Def Techs as possible. I have heard several different Def Tech models with several different Denon and Elite models at the same dealer over the past 10 years or so and IMO the Def Techs have always sounded better with the Elite receivers. Def Techs at times can be a bit on the bright side and the Elites help tame that much better than the thinner, more detailed Denons. For your Def Techs I don't think you can do better then the Elite 56 or the Marantz 7500 or 8500. If you had another speaker like say Paradigm I would say Denon but for Def Tech, no. Have fun with this and good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Ziggyzoggyoioi

Outside Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 89
Anon...

I would agree about Denon if the original poster wasn't talking using Mythos speakers; I think Denon mates better with the Mythos than with other DefTechs. But even with the other DefTechs, once you get to the Denon 380x models they do OK - it's the models below that level that tend to sound thin and bright. Either way I'd prefer Marantz or HK with any of the DefTechs than Denon or Elite.

Post Number: 2
Whatever you decide to get, make sure you listen to them first. And give your local dealer a chance to earn your business. Too many times we just buy based on the lowest price, then wonder why there are no hifi stores near us.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1729
Both the Pioneer and Denon would make good choices.

Post Number: 4
What prices are you finding for the receivers? At the right locations a Marantz dealer can get close to the Yamaha prices, if that is an issue.The Denon 3805 can be found for 800.00-850.00, or try to find the 2805.

Post Number: 7
herman-

the lowest i've seen the denon is 767; the pioneer is consistently higher. i haven't looked into marantz, or hk yet, but these threads have given me an education and expanded my options. ultimately (when budget permits) i plan to keep the receiver and use a separate power amp.

Post Number: 5
Where do you live? Check out SoundSystemsinc.net and see what he can do for you. Tell him Herman sent ya. His prices are reasonable, and he carries both Denon and Marantz.

Post Number: 8
California. Appreciate the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us