NAD T 753 Vs Denon AVR 3805

Bronze Member
Username: Tryst1

Post Number: 16
How do you compare the nad 753 against the 3805.Although the power output is significantly lower than Denon (70w/ch against 120w/ch)but i heard that NAD calibrate their receivers on the lower side.I plan to hook up Tannoy Sensys Dual Concentric speakers with the receiver? Please advice on the aforesaid setup

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 207
I wouldn't worry about the power specs. Listen to both if you can and go with the one that sounds best to you.

If the HT features and number of connections are important and that's what you are goin for, I would go for the Denon. NAD if you are more musically inclined.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1697
Go with the 3805.......

NADs are nothing but trouble and unreliable.

Username: Bumblebee

Post Number: 8
3805. But, you may also want to try the Yamaha 2500. Cheaper and better preamp (check out audioholics.com's review). But that's for HT.

The T753 will give you better 2-channel music, though.

Bronze Member
Username: Tryst1

Post Number: 17
How about the T763? Will it make a substantial difference in the performance when compared to Denon and most importantly i would watch quite a few movies with surround sound and i want good and detailed channel separation.Thats why iam upgrading the system.Please advice.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1326
I posted this answer to your question on another thread Prabir.

"Where do you live Prabir? I paid $1120 for my T763. For me in order of preference T763, T753, and last the Denon. I think that the T763 will give you the power you need to drive quality speakers closer to their potential than the other 2. The T763 uses a huge Holmgren toroidal transformer and has plenty of reserve power.

The NAD may not have some of the bells and whistles of the Denon but it sounds better in 2 channel and at least as good (I think better) for home theater."

Paul doesn't value music, so you may want to keep that in mind when reading his posts.

Unregistered guest
Don't forget the Marantz 7500. I got it for 800.00, and it sounds just a little better with music than the Denon 3805. I did audition them both, but had to go with the Marantz.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1337
Dolemite is right IMO. The Marantz won't match the NAD but it is a better all rounder, especially for music, than the Denon.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 176
Go with the Denon 3805 - Audioholics Receiver of the Year, Editor's Choice at CNET, Editor's Choice at Sound and Vision, and read any of the reviews from the 3803 and on and they all say that the 3805 is very musical. NAD's have numerous posts about problems and are very finicky. Marantz is OK, but lacks the detail and transparency of Denon.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1563
Denon is borderline bright, Marantz is warm...depends on what you like.

In this price range also look at the HK 635 and the all-digital HK 2005 which lists at $1000 but is being cleared out at Fry's for just $500...what a steal!

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1937
Just avoid the NAD......unless you like trouble shooting quality control issues, and trying to minimize hiss and humming sounds.

Silver Member
Username: Riches1

Atlanta, GA US

Post Number: 181
I have the 3805 and do not find it bright, even with the titanium tweeter in my Axioms. And it depends on what you mean by "bright". One man's bright is another man's transparent.

Edster finds Marantz warm. I find them lacking in detail and a little "fuzzy". To me, warmth is coloration. At it worst, "warmth" manifests itself as exaggerated bass -usually flabby - a bloated midrange and rolled off highs. To me, Denon has a little extra richness in the bass, but maintains authoratative control by keeping the bass tight, a nice clear midrange, and airy extended highs. Some might call that "bright". I call it clean, crisp, and lacking in coloration. Most people tend to like warmer sounding electronics. I tend to prefer speakers that have table top flat frequency response curves and neutral receivers. After exhaustive in home trials with the following speakers (Energy, Polk TRI 1's, 6's and 8's, Klipsch Reference, Paradigm Mini Monitors, Cambridge towers, Boston Acoustics VR2's) and the following receivers (2 Yamahas,Kennwood, Onkyo, 2 HK's, and 2 Denons) I have settled in on the Denon. I think that there are only minor differences in any of the recievers I mentioned, but major differences in the speakers.

A lot of the problem with NAD's center around a buzzing or humming noise heard during quiet pasages. I have read where this can be minimized by careful isolation of the interconnects, speaker cables and power cables, and also by using some kind of power conditioning (Monster, Tripplite). I like the sound of NAD. I like the sound of Marantz and HK's as well. I just like the sound of Denon recievers the best.

Fredrik
Unregistered guest
I have tested the Denon agains the NAD for music only (no surrond) and I can say that they are VERY different in reproducing music. If you compare them in means of sound only the Denon is far more detailed and crispy. The NAD sounds blurry and with bad transient capabilities and a soft and "slow" bas. When it comes to "feeling" and "timing" the NAD is great when playing cilent music with few instruments. When playing music with many instruments as a classic orcestra it cant manage to separate the instruments and everything sounds as a mess. I am very sensitive to listening tirediness and I cet tired quite fast with the NAD but I can play for a very long time with the Denon without beeing listening tired.

Bronze Member
Username: Big_red

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 15
Personal expereince I would not buy the NAD. Though I've had a two channel for 10 years, I bought the 753 16 months ago and have now gone through 3 receivers (including the most recent being the 763) and all have been defective. REgardless of sound quality if the build quality is not there you can't enjoy your purchase and, trust me, it is not worth the hassel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us