THX Optimizer audio test problem

Username: Nbhide

Post Number: 1
Hi, I am new to this forum. Have a question that I have not seen a post on.

I ran the THX optimizer audio test. When the tone for "Rear Left/right surround" speakers plays it actually comes out of the "Surround Left/right" speakers. The text on the audio test says that this happens when the set-up is 5.1 surround. But in my case I have set it for 7.1.

Also when the tone for subwoofer plays I have to place my ear up close to it else I cannot hear it.

Any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 943
Yep. Possibilities include but are not necessarily limited to the following: 1)defective DVD title 2)incorrect speaker hook up 3) defective decoder in receiver 4)subwoofer volume control set too low 5)receiver subwoofer output set too low 6) defective receiver subwoofer output stage 7)DVD player improperly set up 8)defective DVD player. I could go on and on but I won't.

Bronze Member
Username: Urlacher

Post Number: 54
when I run my THX optimizer test the sounds comes from different speakers than it supposed to. But when I watch a dvd its fine. I also have a radio shack cleaner that also had an audio test on it and that one works fine. I don't have a THX receiver. I doubt this is the problem though.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 552
The receiver uses a DSP to reproduce 7.1 since it only receives the 5.1 digital signal. When it plays in 7.1 it is simply copying the surround left/right signal to the surround back left/right speakers. It should be playing out of all 4 speakers at once.

In DTS, which can be true 6.1, the receiver should copy the rear centre channel signal to both the surround back speakers, yeilding seperate playback of the surround and surround back speakers in a 7.1 set-up. However I have yet to see a test disc or program in DTS.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 786
From reading this and the confusion of 5.1 6.1 and 7.1 well there really is no 7.1 not the true SDDS 7.1 available within the consumer market place.

What you guys have is what I don't have and yet, all it takes is a little thinking drawing some diagrams and bingo I can do 9.1 that is left, left centre, centre right centre and right.

For the split-surrounds there is the height surround or sonic whole overheard that was used on the film "We Where Soldiers"

Anyway as for the THX optimizer this I really use instead I use the DTS calibration and alignment disc which uses full band spectrum pink noise, I've never had a problem using this disc in the 8 years that I have had it

Going back to multi-channel like DTS 6.1, which is the only true 6.1 multi-channel decoding the consumer has it's a wonderful way to enjoy motion picture soundtracks.

And the small category of music as well, though I believe the list is short in the production of DTS music over the film catalogue.

As far as my home cinema goes it's set-up to at present in the 8.1 mode fashion and it does outstanding performance, if all goes well over the next few weeks I'll be adding on the height surround with what I have I mind is getting 4x loudspeakers for placement on the ceiling positioned in a square configuration.

I'll need one more stereo amplifier and 4x loudspeakers, and that's just the start of it, with Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith due out in November 2005 I like to be ready for the eventful showdown.

Like a friend said about the film "Rein of Fire" I was in the film?

That was just fancy calibration of the sound system, and being a former cinema projectionist helps in these areas.

So the nest step is the height surround, though I would like to install the extra front channels left centre and right centre.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 575
"What I have I mind is getting 4x loudspeakers for placement on the ceiling positioned in a square configuration"

Do you have 2 rows of seating Andy? If that's the case your idea is excellent. Can I suggest tuning the ceiling speakers to a lower dB level at the listening positions than the rest of the speakers, you don't want to detract too much from the front presentation.

Post pics if you pull it off.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us