HiFi Virgin: When Inspecting a Used Amp--What to Look For?

Username: Lovegasoline

NYC

Post Number: 1
Hello folks, this is my first post.
I've been living a grey life....my only audio equipment is a 10 yr old Sony boombox and Sony Discman. Before that, it was a Panasonic turntable/receiver I inherited from my parents....who do not really listen to music!
I guess the stars are in alignment, or some other off stage rumblings have occurred...but I know it's time for me to make the first steps towards a higher fidelity. It's been in the back of my mind for a couple weeks.
While searching local classified ads to upgrade my laptop computer, I saw a FS listing for a Yamaha A-700 Integrated amplifier. Asking price is $80. Now, I do not know ANYTHING about this unit, but I did a little web search and low and behold, it brought me to this forum (see the earlier thread entitled "Older Yamaha "A" series Integrated Amps: Worth Buying?")

I really couldn't find much more on this unit on the web, but the general consensus from the replies in that thread is that the A-700 yields acceptable, perhaps even good sound. I will use this Integrated Amp as a foundation to build up my very first modest, low end HI-FI system: adding a CD Player, Tuner, Speakers, and a Turntable.

Coincidentally, the seller of this unit is also asking $80, states he is moving in w/girlfriend & they do not need two sound systems, and claims the unit is in good fully functional condition. For this price, even a dirtbag groveler like myself can't go wrong, so I've decided to buy it. The seller said I can check it out to make certain it is fully operational before I pay.
Ya gotta start SOMEWHERE, so I guess this is my entree (and to tell the truth, I actually feel rather excited!).
Being the wet behind the ears newbie that I am, with little hi-fi experience, what should I check/test for when inspecting the unit??
Thanks a bunch!

Neal

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 275
Check the left and right outputs are a similar level, ie use the balance control to test that both channels are giving a similar output. Also check for clicks & pops when you turn any of the knobs. Pay particular attention to the volume knob as this directly affects the sound if on its way out. Scratchy pots can be cleaned but sometimes they are too far gone and need replacing. Basically if you're happy that the unit works and there are no faults with any of the controls just check that the speaker connecting posts are present & working, then you're good to go!

NYC

Post Number: 2
Sun King, thanks a bunch for the advice.
I'll go this week and have a look at it.
Cheers,
Neal

NYC

Post Number: 8
Sun King,
I bought the amp a couple days ago. I used your suggestions, they were extremely useful! I got it home and popped the case: I cleaned and treated the pots and the RCA conectors. The amp works flawlessly (so far) and I'm extremely pleased with it.
Thanks a bunch for your kind help.
Cheers,
Neal

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 276
No problem, I hope it sounds good!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help