Vintage NAD

Username: Drummer87

Post Number: 5
Hi all,
I'm looking at an old NAD receiver on ebay and want some unbiased opinions on how sturdy NAD products are and what the build quality is like. The receiver is a Model 120 and looks like it's from the 70s as it has some din outs.. but I haven't been able to find any info on the internet so far.
The listing is here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%3D5790217192

So my question is: can NAD products stand the test of time and still be sturdy/stable 20-30 years on?

Thanks for your help, Owen.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1275
Like most other manufacturers some of their products stand the test of time and others do not. I had an NAD receiver about 15-20 yrs ago. Functionally it never failed but the display kept going out on it. It was a newer display type and so that wouldn't be a problem with the receiver that you are looking at. I think that you always take a risk when buying vintage gear even if it's McIntosh or AR. Looks like it won't cost you too much to find out. Good luck.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1276
Let me add something that I forgot. I currently own an NAD pre amp, CD player, and AVR, and have had no trouble with any of them.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1337
I recently bought a vintage NAD amp, pre-amp and tuner that's probably at least 10-15 years old and it works flawlessly, sounds amazing. Now whether it'll continue to work so well 5-10 years from now who knows but for the price I paid I wouldn't be crushed if it lasted only another 3-4 years.

However I noticed on your eBay link that it says, "In working order but cannot offer any warranties." That to me is a red flag, I'd look elsewhere. They should at least guarantee "no DOA."

The other red flag for me on eBay is if they say that the item has never been tested because they don't have the power cord or some other excuse.

A vintage NAD integrated amp should run you anywhere from $70-250 depending on model and age.

Some people are leery of buying from eBay but I think if you choose carefully it's perfectly fine, I've never had any problems with it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1279
The biggest red flag is ebay itself. I would never buy from ebay. Others swear by it. I would only buy used gear from Audiogon or a specific vintage audio website.

If you have done business on ebay and haven't any concerns then don't let me dissuade you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1339
Here are a few guidelines I use when shopping eBay:

1. Seller's feedback: if the seller has more than say 200 feedbacks and 98% or higher positives. Dealers with over 1000 feedbacks and 98% or higher positives are pretty safe bets.

2. check specific feedback: read any negative feedbacks, and check the positive feedbacks to make sure there aren't any duplicate positives---some sellers will have shill accounts that repeatedly give them identical positive feedbacks in order to inflate the seller's profile and/or compensate for any negative or neutral feedbacks

3. check prices on pricegrabber.com whenever possible, some eBay sellers are actually more expensive than established web dealers like jr.com and amazon.com

4. email/PM the seller if you have any questions or concerns, especially if shipping is not listed then always supply your zip code and ask for an exact amount and ask if there's any additional handling fee. The more questions you ask, the better---also you can tell a lot from how they respond to your questions.

5. If the price seems too good to be true or if you have any doubts at all, either ask more questions or steer clear. Brand new items should go for about 10-20% off mainstream Internet dealers.

Here are some electronics I've bought from eBay over the years, without a hitch:

PPI car amp (new)
Infinity passive car sub (new)
JBL powered sub (new)
Sony ES cd carousel
Onkyo tape deck
NAD separates
Sony Clie PDAs (3 of them)
PDA accessories
Cell phone accessories (about 1/3 or 1/4 of local retail prices!)
DVDs
VHS tapes
Audio cables
Computer cables
Banana plugs

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1283
Sorry Edster, I know you like ebay, but other than the NAD seperates that is not an illustrious list of purchases. It may be worth the risk for very low cost purchases but with what I've seen happen, I would never let loose of a significant sum on ebay. If it's something you've done before with some success then go for it.

Feedback on ebay is bought and sold like a commodity, you really can't trust it. I have dealt with Audiogon on a number of occasions with success.

I'm sorry that I'm going on about this but I really believe that using ebay warrants extreme caution.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1342
Art,

hm, I'm not sure exactly what would qualify as an "illustrious" list. Granted the highest dollar item there is the NAD separates, the rest are all $200 or less.

On the other hand a friend of mine who collects expensive watches has always bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of them on eBay without any major problems.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1284
That's what I meant Edster is that those were low risk purchases compared to buying a whole system.

I'm not sure there is a Watchogon :-) so perhaps ebay is the best option for watches.

Like I said if you do alot of business on ebay and trust them then by all means. I will never do business with them and that's ok too.

Post Number: 6
My mum has been using ebay and has bougt quite a bit of 70s furnature and other items.. the feedback scores are generally a good indication of the seller, you just read what their negatives are (if any) and you can soon find out if they look a bit sus or not. I agree about the >98% rule, anything below that I research thoroughly what others have said, what items have been bougt and resold, etc.

There have been only a few minor problems with items for her (stains on a throw, chip on pottery, item broken in post).

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm hoping not to pay too much for it, max about $AUS50 or so (I'm a student on a tight budget).. but i have a feeling that's about an absolute minimum it will go for. For that price I don't mind if it only lasts a few years or so.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1345
Art,

I'm curious, have you ever had any bad experiences on eBay yourself in the past? Just wondering what you base your strong opinion upon.

Good point about no Watchogon, heh.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1288
My experience in audio. I take one look at the average quality of the goods on ebay vs Audiogon and it's an instant KO. I've had close friends who have been robbed on ebay. I've never been tempted. Hey maybe we should start a Watchogon. I need to get rich somehow to support this habit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1349
> I take one look at the average quality of the goods on ebay vs Audiogon and it's an instant KO.

That I'm sure is certainly true, but along with the much higher quality there's also much higher prices usually.

> Hey maybe we should start a Watchogon. I need to get rich somehow to support this habit.

Sure beats sticking up liquor stores, LOL!

Actually I remember in "Ocean's Eleven" there's a part where the guys talk about what they're going to do with all the loot and one guy starts fantasizing about getting some super-duper NAD equipment!

I'm sure Paul must've loved that scene, lol.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 549
That was "The Italian Job"

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1292
LOL!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 724
Whew I would never buy a fine watch on ebay, I do buy electronics on there though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1350
Kano,

oops, right you are! As you can tell I don't watch too many of these heist movies so I tend to lump them all together. TIJ was definitely one of the best, it helps to have potent eye candy like Charlize Therzon.

Zorro
Unregistered guest
edster....Theron !... :-) and yeah she is just beautiful !

Gold Member

Post Number: 1353
Zorro,

OMG, sacriledge! (beats self with hairbrush)

I'm usually not crazy about blondes but CT is really an exception, very unique look, and most striking of all, a very good actress.

(thread hijack over)

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Edster has already given a pretty good advice; speaking for myself, I have been lucky buying from e-bay, no bad experience so far, reinforcing a little bit what he said, I concur, try to buy from a seller who has at least 99.0 % positive feedback and ask (e-mail) as many questions as you need before bidding as it's always good to have written documentation.

Username: Hat3m

Post Number: 1
i need DILL P780 Monitor schematic diagram
any one can help me please
if any body care sen it to me in hatem_adwy@hotmail.co.uk

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1295
Owen are you still out there? Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1645
If you're going to 'chance' buying 30 year old electronics on ebay, be sure to do your homework and see what similar products are selling for so you know that you're getting a good price. If you educate yourself on the market, you'll fare well.

You'll often see outdated old electronic components that retailed for >$1,000 new selling for <$100. I've seen my old Pioneer that retailed for $1200 selling for under $50 on ebay.....LOL

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Hey Paul,
ditto for the CV's ? :-)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1312
Ouch!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1668
I would never buy anything used on Ebay, speakers or electronics.......including old CVs.

Im not into the whole "yard sale" thing like a lot of the individuals here.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1669
I did buy a 'used' silver dollar once on ebay though......LOL

It's vintage 1890 for use as a ball marker.

Golf anyone??

Post Number: 7
Art Kyle, yep here I am..
I got the NAD for $82 in the end. I'd been looking at other similar products and an NAD 160a went for $126 about 2 weeks ago, so I think the price I paid was alright. Although just yesterday my dad came back from work with news that a colleague want's to get rid of an early 90s Sony amp :P

Would it be an idea to use the NAD as a preamp (since it's probably a bit less powerful than the Sony) or is there not much point? If so, how would I do it?

Username: Zorro

Post Number: 4
Paul,

I know why you are not into "Yard Sale".....enough junk at home already! Yammie and CV's :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1364
ouch, ouch, OUCH!!!

good one there, Z!

LMAO...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1365
Owen,

unless it's some top of the line Sony ES amp (if such even exists) I doubt very much that it'd outdo your NAD, don't believe the claimed power ratings of Sony.

25wpc for NAD is probably equal to 125wpc for Sony.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1336
Edster is right owen. I would stick with just the NAD for now. If you want a more powerful amp wait for a deal on a good one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1706
Yea, Im sure one of those old junker 25 watt goNADs is more powerful than just about all other 125watt receivers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1374
Yep you hit the nail right on the head Paul...ESPECIALLY the Yamaha ones!

LOL

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1352
Right on Eddie!

Username: Zorro

Post Number: 6
Hey, come on guys, The Yammi 2500 must be good for a least something...let me think....got it....it can surely drive a very old pair of crappy CV's with authority (bass only though)... :-) :-) :-)

Oh, and a pair of Bose (back speakers)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1717
Ahhhh....pure movie nirvanna. I wouldnt trade my setup for a 'boutique' nicknack setup costing many times more. Speaking of which, I've been back on a movie tear playing catchup. I guess I'll talk about what I've watched over the past 3 days in the movie thread.

Bronze Member
Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 38
http://audio70.safeshopper.com/3/54.htm?669

This is the one that got me hooked on music and really listening back when I first met my current wife. We started dating in 1994 and her father in law had the 7600. Unbelievable machine! Looks a bit dated now but man it has enough raw power to drive anything. Overall 2 channel NAD units from the 80's are really tough. This one can be found for $600.00 online when one comes available. If I really kept an eagle eye out maybe one day I will pick one up.

Bronze Member
Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 39
Oh and in the Italian Job I think Seth Green's character was looking to obtain a NADT770 with a C541I CD player. I do not remember if he wanted an amp as well but to have speakers that literally tear off a womans clothing you need something more than 70-80watts per channel. Especially for whatever that odd looking speaker was that he had in the system. Maybe a Magnepan?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us