Movie Sound Equalization

Username: Frankyb

Post Number: 1
I am having problems balancing movie sound levels from my vcr and dvd player.

I am currently running all of my home audio through a jvc mini-system stereo with analog cables. I use the VCR as a receiver to control the input to the stereo. This includes digital satellite, vcr, gamecube, and dvd.

I am having problems with the sound from the dvd and vcr. The levels seem to be uneven. The talking is really quiet while the music is just booming. I tried all of the equalization settings on my system and the FLAT one seems to work the best. However, there is still problems with the levels.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the audio from the dvd and vhs movies since the other sources work fine.

Can anyone help?

Would a volume regulator do the trick?

Anonymous

Most of the talking from movies is on the center channel. I experienced the problem you describe, when I was having a problem with the center channel. Uninstall and reinstall the connections to the center speaker.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 842
First check the EQ with the RTA and SPL db meter, with EQ' ing the SPL level will drop slightly, and with that the amplifier will need to be adjusted when doing this.

Also are you using three-screen matching loudspeakers, for the front as with mismatching the EQ processes will only take longer and the dynamics of the mismatching loudspeaker will add so many problems.

That is why for the past 17 years I have been using three-screen matching JBL control 5 for the fronts and some for the stereo surrounds, with a mighty JBL 4645 THX approved cinema sub bass unit, with plenty of low end usage down to 20Hz with high power program of 600watts and SPL db to a maximum 120db SPL if needed.

Don't use boosts ever increase the bass output, or the other frequencies as well set the amplifier, level to higher to compensate for the loss, never boost the settings on the EQ always use cuts on an EQ.

The front loudspeakers need to be EQ as well as the split-surrounds and the sub bass.

So have a look around for four stereo 1/3 octave EQ 27 band, some of these are cheep and affordable some are very costly, so look around.

Also a RTA analyzer and microphone and stand will also come in handy.

Using the test tone, or pink noise on a calibration disc, like the DTS one, if you can still get hold of it.

EQ the centre channel first, to get a flat line on the RTA then add the sub bass EQ it again if the bass is too weak sounding then boost the level on the amplifier for the sub bass, NEVER boost the level on the lows.

Now repeat this all over again for the left channel, to get the same flat line on the RTA, once done add the sub bass and repeat this again, if the bass on the very low end on the RTA is more than the centre cut it slightly to match the same level as the centre.

Repeat this for the right channel.

Now EQ the LFE send the LFE signal to the sub bass, from the calibration disc, and setting the EQ if needed, to cut the frequencies that are peaking too much.

Keeping the LFE level on the AVR at 0db, if you don't have THX select THX ultra or THX ultra 2 then buy an Audio limiter for the LFE channel only.

Apply the audio limiter to the pre-output, of the LFE on the AVR and send the output, from the Audio limiter to the EQ and then the SUB.

Next EQ the split-surrounds and if you are using centre back surround and height surround as well then EQ to be flat on the RTA use the same techniques as before, make sure the surround loudspeakers are able and capable to handle motion picture soundtracks to SPL db levels of 105db with useable frequency response down to, 40Hz to the highest 20KHz.

The surrounds when EQ correctly and amplified well then cover the room with uniform excellence.

If you can catch me on line and would like to go though this again step by step, no problems.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us