Why does it have to be so hard!?? HK3480 + X????

Username: Mafilo

Post Number: 5
Hi guys,

I have been reading tons of articles and reviews lately. I think I have a better idea of what an stereo system is and what I want from mine. But I still feel I need expert advice ;-)

I have the HK3480 stereo receiver (my first receiver!! I am so excited!!), so perhaps you can guess what my upper limit is at the moment (I mean $$$). I have read that this receiver is "warm" (BTW, this terminology is driving crazy). So far I have heared the following speakers in different local stores: Klipsch synergy, PSB Image, Monitor Silver, B&W 600 serie 3, Paradigm performance series (Atom) and a set of JBL (I don't remember the model). To be honest I really liked the B&W... BUT, I did not have the speakers at home with my "warm" receiver, my walls, my furniture, my cables, etc. etc (I did have my music). Are these B&W 600 a good match for this receiver? Are they considered "bright" or "warm"?

I understand that perhaps I am the only one that should say: "YES, that sounds good to me!! I like it" and that something good for me could be horrible for someone else, but I just don't want to rush and buy the "wrong" match for my receiver.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Post Number: 6
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago. I will re-post here some of the important comments I included there:

I am a real music-lover (rock, alternative, blues, jazz, techno, world music). I would like to have music in the living area (living room, dining room, kitchen, a single big rectangular high ceiling room of approx. 500 sq. ft.) Maximum budget for speakers $1000. I don't need to listen SUPER LOUD music.

I would like to add the following: I don't like extremes: no excess in brightness or bass. I love "clear", "clean" and "rich" music (again with the crazy terminology).

Silver Member
Username: Dloweman

Post Number: 124
B&W's are a fairly neutral speaker, and if anything that are on the revealing/ bright side, so they will match well with your HK. Monitor Audio and JBL are both also on the brighter side, as for the others, i know that paradigm is warmer and not sure for the rest. but go by what you like, if you like the b&w then go for it, you won't be dissapointed

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 298
Mariana - Is the B&W 600 a bookshelf? If it is, you may need a subwoofer to fill in the bass that the bookshelves are lacking, esp with the music you listen too.

Without a subwoofer, I'd recommend tower speakers. I own the PSB Image T55's. It should fit your application nicely. Retail is $899, but you can find them at dmc-electronics.com for cheaper, if you don't mind cosmetically blemished. Most say that you can't even tell where the blemish is.

This place also has PSB's for a great price - http://www.hipposaudiovideo.com/closeout1.htm
These are A-Stock, or brand new. The reason for them being cheap is that they are no longer selling PSB, and getting rid of what they have at or near cost. They don't have anymore T55's, but they have a model higher and lower available. I bought my T55's there and saved a few more dollars because their warehouse is around the corner from my work, so I picked them up myself.

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the suggestions.

The B&W 600 I liked are bookshelf speakers (DM600 and DM601). I had already considered a 8" subwoofer (also B&W) but I need more money, money, money...

Zorro
Unregistered guest
Mariana,

You can check some Monitor Audios and PSB's at this site http://www.saturdayaudio.com , they have pretty good prices on them Specially The Monitor Audios S6

Just another option

ahof
Unregistered guest
I have the same receiver with a pair of acend acoustics cbm 170's. They were about $260 b-stock and they sound great. Excellent clarity and detail. The only complaint (and its a minor one) is the lack of bass. But that can be solved by adding a sub, I'm looking at getting a b-stock hsu stf1 for about the same price as the 170's.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 811
For the type of music you listen to, you want the bass in your music - so either a tower speaker, or a hsu sub (very nice sub by the way).

I second the ascends - they sell direct so they can offer you more for the money.

The PSBs are good too - and the prices are good as well.

You can get the hsu sub and the ascends here:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us