Center channel advice

shein323
Unregistered guest
I'm looking to upgrade my center speaker. I have Polk R30 fronts and cheapo JBLs as my rears along with a Sony SAWM500 sub, all being fed by a Yamaha 5450 receiver. I'm looking to spend a few hundred dollars, maybe $300-$600, though I can go a little more if it's worth it. I'm slowly upgrading my system from "newbie" to "respectable", and I want this to be my center for at least a few years.

Any advice on what to get? Thanks so much for your help!!

Anonymous

Ideally you should use the same speaker that you plan to use as your mains. Something like a Paradigm Mini-Monitor or Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 would fit the bill nicely.

Anonymous

Ohh and our ecoustics homegrown talent Timn8ter also offers a fine bookshelf. Three across the front would run you 600.

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Ling.htm

shein323
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the advice so far. I'm looking just for a center speaker though (i plan on keeping the R30's for another year or 2). Should I get a Polk center then or can I go for another brand?

Anonymous

Welp, if you do get another brand, it won't perfectly match your current mains. However, if you don't get a different brand, you will be stuck with Polk or risk not having a perfect match later. Not that there is anything wrong with Polk mind you.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1323
shein,

I'd recommend the Ascend center that Anonymous referred to:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340c/cmt340c.html

It's pretty big and bulky and not the cheapest, but worth every penny IMO. Especially for TV and DVDs...I found that dialogue really came alive, much clearer and more natural, I didn't need to turn up the volume as much to understand it. In fact for a while I even started to listen to my CDs in surround sound just so I could hear the vocals coming out of it!

David Kulisch also refers to this speaker in his thread, "Ascend 170s vs. Alegria Lings."

It's true that the Ascend 340c might not timbre match well with the Polk R30s---my guess is it'll easily dominate them so you'll have to lower your center speaker level a little to compensate. However, in 1-2 years you'll be very happy to get rid of the R30s (or move them to rear duty where they won't cause much damage) but trust me you will NOT want to get rid of the 340c!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us