Speaker Cables

texasron
Unregistered guest
Hey everyone,
I'm new here, and boy do I know nothing :-)
I'm sure this has been asked, I Just purchased some Paradigm Titans V2 and was wondering about speaker cable that doen't cost more than the speakers at $130/pr. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Standard 14 gauge wiring should be sufficient for your application. You can pick it up at home depot or lowes.

texasron
Unregistered guest
14guage? I've seen the debates over wire. My friend thinks it makes all the diff. in the world. Another tells me to use lamp cord, but both say that 10 or 12 guage even at a 6 foot distance is the way to go. NO?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 688
Dh labs T-14(silver strand) @ $4 a foot. Great stuff.

Anonymous

Even 14 gauge is (way) overkill for 6 feet.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

This site gives a pretty good idea for what kind of wire lengths would be adequate for what gauge. To be conservative use the 2 ohm load lengths. You never really know how low your loudspeakers can dip in impedence, and some do definately dip pretty low.

As for your friend, ask him if he would like to pay for fancier wiring for you.

Silver Member
Username: Jamesp

Mansfield , TX USA

Post Number: 125
I wouldn't use lamp chord but anything mentioned above should fit the bill for your Titans. When you decide to upgrade your electronics and speakers better cables will make more of a difference.

texasron
Unregistered guest
GREAT article anon. Guess I'll save $100+ AND GO TO HOME DEPOT TONITE.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 687
Considering that even the best speakers have lots of standard issue copper wire in them (anywhere from 50 to 300 feet), the last 10 feet you add won't mean squat.

Any well-shielded 12-14 gauge wire (no need to spend more than $1 foot--actually 0.50/foot is fine) will work as well as $100 foot wire.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 692
I am sorry , I thought you wanted speaker wire that didn't cost more than 140pr not speaker for that price bracket of speakers. Once again sorry for the misunderstanding.

texasron
Unregistered guest
thanks everyone. I picked up the Titans for $130 and thought it silly to spend more than that on speaker cables. I do need to pick up some stands for them, any ideas? I'll be at home depot picking up some 12 guage wire tonite. Thanks for saving me some cash everyone.

Anonymous

Build your own if you are relatively handy. If not, look at www.partsexpress.com. They have some good heavy metal stands that can be filled with sand that will do nicely.

texasron
Unregistered guest
The handy part would depend on if you're asking me or my wife

Anonymous

If you have any woodworking skills you can probably manage. If not, a solid pair of fillable metal stands can be had from parts express for something like 50 bucks.

texasron
Unregistered guest
Any thoughts on the hieght of the stands? Titans are about 10" x7" x10" The room they'll be in is about 12' x 13' I'll be sitting about
6-7' from them

Anonymous

The general rule is that you want the tweeter at ear level to your listening position.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us