Bookshelfs - process of elimination...and why?

Bronze Member
Username: Twochordcool

Post Number: 43
JMlab Chorus 706 S

B&W DM601 S3

B&W DM602 S3

PSB Image B25

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Monitor Audio Bronze B2

Castle Richmond 3i

Quad 11L

Paradigm Mini Monitor

Paradigm Monitor 3

I will more than likely end up with 3 pairs of one of these speakers.

Which ones do you think are definitely better than which other ones?

Why?

Paradigms are pretty darn good.

I'm VERY interested in the Image B25, but it bothers me that I can only find one professional review on that speaker. (but it is the one review that makes me very curious!)

Have read mixed reviews on the B&W's, but they have improved with the S3 version?

I have read mixed reviews on the JMlab Chorus 706 S...but I am also very curious!

The British press have very good things to say about the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's - they look very cool, do they live up to the hype?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

Username: Bumblebee

Post Number: 4
They are all good. I'd get the cheapest.

Anonymous

I would get the one that looks the best... You won't know the difference in terms of sound anyways; what do you care. At least you can live knowing that you have the best looking in a group of great loudspeakers.

Post Number: 5
There'll be differences, that's for sure. Some will be bright, others warm. Pair the bright speakers w/ the warm amps and vice-versa. That would be a safe configuration.

Anyway, good luck. And as much as possible, go have an audition.

Anonymous

But of course he has no idea what will be "bright" vrs "warm" to him since he has heard none of them....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
heard the B&W DM601's and was quite impressed, but really had nothing to compare them to except Titan's 2 weeks before...and I really could not "compare" like that.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 401
Quad!

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 402
And Diamond 9.1!

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 347
It seems you are in the $500 price range So I Would say : Odessey Empheney, that might be spelled wrong ,Onix Rocket 250,Epos M5 or if you have a $1000 to spend go to the www.av123.com and they have the Sp-3 tube intergrated amp 38 watts per channel,regular price $999 with the Onix reference 1 monitors sell for $1500 a pair you get both for $999!thats the best deal in Hi Fi period bar none check it out as soon as you can as matter of fact right now!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
I don't know - I think I am going to stick to a conventional, middle class, budget surround amplifier, like Denon or Yamaha or something comparable.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 681
image b25 in my op.

Username: Jneufnash

Post Number: 7
What about Axiom m22ti? They have been reviewed quite well, but I have not had a chance to audition them. Has anybody else?

Post Number: 6
Tim,

Here are some "tried and tested" combos:

B&W 601/602 S3 - Rotel Ra-02
PSB B25/AE Evo 1/MA B2 - NAD C320BEE

I used the 9.1's w/ the NAD BEE. Goodluck.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 294
jneuf

I have M22s and I have mentioned them in previous threads to Timothy. I think Ascend 170s are slightly better, and I think at this point he is ready to spend more than $300-400 on speakers and has left the axioms out of his current lineup.

TImothy

I have not been impressed much by the Paradigm mini monitors or monitor 3s. But my listening was brief and with a 2 year old begging me to let her watch the bg screen tvs. But, personally I wouldn't get the Paradigms, maybe I would get the studio 20s, but I would have to listen some more.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 796
Tim,

As for as power, NAD c320bee sounds better than Yammy or denon (unless the new 2000 model )

The amp is important as well - if you are going through this much to get a good speakers, you owe it to your-self to be that pick about an amp, and a CD player - to get the most out of your system.

NAD 542 CD and c320bee go together well.

There are other options like music hall Cd player. Post it in amp and CD section, and go slow to get the best for the buck.

You will be surprised how good a $1500 system can sound these days - also how bad they can, if you are not choosy!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1326
Tim,

what happened to the Ascend 170s? Just curious...

Anonymous

Probably not enough buzz...Its not like these speakers are actually being evaluated on sound quality or something Ed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1327
ouch!

J.B.Love
Unregistered guest
Sound quality comes 5th in the TOP FIVE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECTS OF PURCHASING AUDIO EQUIPMENT (c)2005.

In case you were wondering, 9 out of 10 audiophiles agree that this list has great musicality and liquidy midrange.

#1. Price: always the best determinant of quality. Hands down.

#2. Brand Name: you don't want your friends to see some lowly (or non-buzz creating) brand inhabiting your home, do you?

#3. Appearance: everyone knows that a good looking speaker MUST sound good - it's essential that the speaker is gorgeous. NOTE: you can also just stare at the brand-logo while you listen, so you can also pick by appearace of logos!

#4. Nonsense features: the more non-scientific claims, the better. Everyone and their dog knows audio quality is synonymous with superstition and magic.

and of course, without much adieu,

#5. Sound Quality: Once you train your brain to think that you're listening to an amazing system, this category becomes almost obsolete.

So using this handy guide (all registered audiophiles should carry this on them at all time for moments of self-doubt or feelings of inadequacy) you should now have no trouble from making your decision!

$$$for$ound
Unregistered guest
I was SO thinking that J.B.Love! Quite brilliant of you to post such an informative list! Snaps abound!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1249
Paradigm Studio 20 v3's are an excellent buy. If you're looking at less expensive speakers the Paradigm Mini Monitor sound very nive for the money.

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/paradigm/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_125311_1594cr x.aspx

They are on to the v4 model now but they sound better than the v2 and are essentially the same as the v3.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 308
Art knows the Paradigm lineup better than I do. Except for the Titan which I had. All those other speakers outshine the Titan

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
Where the @#$% in the United States can you audition Quad speakers?

I might have to rule them out because:

a) I can't find them anywhere.

b) the price is a little more than I expected to pay.

and,

c) I'm thinking that maybe I should not buy speakers with the ports in the rear?

Is there a lot more flexibility with front ported speakers, especially in small to average sized rooms?

Bronze Member
Username: Quadstar

Post Number: 18
Why not consider the Dynaudio 42/52?

Bronze Member
Username: Quadstar

Post Number: 19
Also the Epos ELS3?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1282
Those are very good speakers worth consideration.

About the Quad's try emailing the U.S. distributor.

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/

Silver Member

Post Number: 351
Well,I had some Ohm Walsh Micros on order that I cancelled,and instead I bought the Odyssey Epiphony because some of its stellar reviews,and normally I wont just go off of that because most of the big time magazine reviews are paid off by the big companies,so most of the ones I read are the online reviews,most of those guys are normal people like us.Well I wont go into detail about it,as a matter of fact Im gonna start a new thread about them,but check out www.odysseyaudio.com

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1627
Unless you live in a closet or like small sound, I recommend eliminating all of them.(bookshelf speakers)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1344
ah, the Prophet returns! LOL

hope you had a good vacation, Paul.

Now go get 'em boy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 356
I must say im really looking foward to seeing this worldwide review that we are gonna do on the Lings its really gonna be fun and entertaining.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
I'm thinking that maybe I should not buy speakers with the ports in the rear?

Is there a lot more flexibility with front ported speakers, especially in small to average sized rooms?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1636
Some will say rear ported speakers are better. It just depends who you ask. Just listen to several variations and pick what "YOU" like.

I have both front and rear ported speakers in my system. If you're looking for bass, you'll want to lean towards rear ports. Both my fronts and behemoth sub have massive ports firing into walls, and my 3 way surrounds are front ported. It just depends on what you want from your system.

PatrickBateman
Unregistered guest
Tim,
I have auditioned many of the speakers you are interested in.
What percentage music/movies?
And are you opposed to buying used, say from someplace like audiogon?

Silver Member
Username: Dakulis

Spokane, Washington United States

Post Number: 311
Tim,

Figure out which of the above you like best and buy them with right to return them. Have other Tim ship you the Lings as part of his worldwide tour and order a pair of 170s or 340s from Ascend. A/B each pair in your home and keep the best. IMHO that will get you a pretty dang good speaker.

Also, gotta agree with James about picking the right amp or receiver to power everything. PLUS, James is from my hometown in CA. so he must be a brilliant, intelligenc, good looking guy with incredible common sense, I'm sure.

Anonymous

Tawaun, I thought you said that the best deal in hifi was the SDAT SB e-639's ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 450
Anon grow up!

Anonymous

Does that mean that you have changed your mind about the SDAT SB e-639's being "the best bang for the buck on the planet" (your words)???

Silver Member
Username: Falp

Portugal

Post Number: 139
Quad 11L

JMlab Chorus 706 S

Monitor Audio Bronze B2

Monitor Audio Silver S1

Epos ELS3

Epos M5

AE Evo 1

AE Elite 1

Silver Member
Username: Falp

Portugal

Post Number: 142
Quad at the top of course, the rest in no order...

Bronze Member
Username: Brittho

Frisco, TX USA

Post Number: 51
The finish on the Quad nearly made me drool when I first saw them. Absolutly beautiful. Then after listening I quickly determined that they not only look the part but sound wonderful as well. I have only heard the Quad 11L's in your list but they were really impressive. Also they were easily driven with an Arcam A80 at the shop I was at so they must be fairly efficient.

Have fun!

Britt

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 749
Brilliant bookshelves:

Totem Dreamcatcher (goes well near a wall)

Dynaudio Audience 42 (goes reasonably well near a wall)

B&W DM600 (designed to go against a wall even though it's rear ported)

Focal JmLab Chorus 706S (not sure how good against a wall, but a lovely speaker)

AVI Neutron IV (reasonably good near a wall)

The Quads are easy to drive but not particularly musical in my view. The DM601 is OK, but I find the 600 more balanced. The Diamond 9.1 is a bit too rich in the mid-bass for my taste, but it is a nice sound - I still prefer the DM600 which is more balanced in my view.

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 750
Oh, and theres a wall mounted version of the Dynaudio 42 designed to be hung on the wall called the 42W (unsurprisingly).

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member

Post Number: 666
Frank i have to dissagree with on the Dreamcatchers they are very full in the bass,they sound best out from the walls.The Dreamcatcher is what inspired me to buy the Arros I owned the theDCs first for about 8 months.The Qauds are pretty good in my view,but i prefer the Epos M5 over them all day,Ditto for the Els 3 and the DCs.

Silver Member
Username: Cheapskate

Post Number: 193
the B&W 601s have only gotten lukewarm reviews from what i've read. by all means, read up on ANY speakers that you're considering.

in the $500 range... i still lust over the seemless lightning fast resonance free sound of Magnepan MMGs even if i'll have to buy additional amplification that can handle 4 ohm loads. i think this is THE best high end value in audio.

axiom has been getting ALOT of raves as mentioned.

sterophile has a big time woody for triangle speakers which look cheap to me with their accordian surrounds... hmmm... they weren't rated in recommended components. go figure.

canadian manufacturers such as energy and paradigm usually get thumbs up for value

i love my NHT superzeros (discontinued)

and in recommended components... the $330pr. Epos ELS-3 earned a class C rating over speakers several times their price.

the speakers that you chose would have to depend on YOUR tastes in music.
smaller speakers will image better and have lower box resonances
bigger speakers will have more bass
sealed speakers will have tighter bass and lower distortion
ported speakers will have louder deeper bass
soft dome tweeters will be more relaxed sounding
metal domes will sound faster and more extended and often times more fatiguing
and
planars (magnepan) will be lightning fast and have a coherent midrange that is great on vocals, but are power hungry, amp fussy, position fussy and have rolled off bass (but SUPER FAST) in the smaller & cheaper models. they don't quite have the image specificity of minimonitors either, but tonally, they're like giant high end headphones.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us