Paradigm Studio 40 Speakers

Username: Mgkaplan

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I am considering replacing my 1990 vintage Polk Audio Monitor Series 2 speakers with Paradigm Studio 40s.

If anyone has any experience with these speakers, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 429
Michael:

Paradigm Studio 40s are a superb sounding speaker, reasonably priced, and are finished beautifully. I would only caution you about the amp driving them. As the Paradigms have a somewhat reserved sound ("laid back"), you do not want an amp that sounds the same--you will need something that is more forward sounding. What do you use for an amp?

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Yamaha RX-V 630

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 430
Michael:

Sonically, the two are a match, so there is no problem there. Your Yammie is a bit on the bright side, but it does have very high detail to the sound, so it is a very good match with the Paradigms whose laid back quality will tame the sound of the Yammie and still deliver the georgeous detail both are capable of. However, you may find down the road you might want more power, as the Yammie is good for only about 35 wpc if driving more than two channels (its 75 wpc rating is only for two channels). I believe it has pre-amp outs, so simply adding an outboard amp would be very simple, if you are going to use it for any HT or 5 channel sound.

I believe you will really enjoy those Paradigms--they are an awesome sounding speaker. Good luck!

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Two questions:

Is the 75 wpc X 6 channels a misleading specification?

Are you familiar with the Polks that I would be replacing?

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 433
Michael:

yes. It is a misleading specification, but recognize that Yamaha never says it is 75 wpc x 6, merely that the receiver is: "Front 75W + 75W; Center 75W; Rear Channels 75W + 75W; Center Rear Channel 75W." (I know because I copied this out of their Audio Products Catalog). But when you read this carefully, you will realize they are never rating more than two channels at a time. That is because the power supply is simply too small to drive 6 channels at a time. In this regard, the Yamaha is rather typical of the mass market A/V receivers sold by the big name companies. Nevertheless, it will deliver 75 wpc into two channels, so it will have sufficient power for a pair of the Paradigm Studio 40s, providing you aren't driving anything else.

Now, I also know what the multi-channel performance is because Sound & Vision tested this receiver's bigger brother, the RX-V730, which actually has the very same amplifier section--they just differ in the pre-pro section. S&V found that the five channel performance was 38 wpc and the six channel performance was 37.5 wpc. The distortion level was also a bit higher than published by Yamaha, but not significantly higher.

I hope I didn't upset you by suggesting an outboard amp as a future upgrade, but those speakers will sound a lot better with a good outboard amp, even a good two channel amp, like the NAD C270 (120 wpc x 2), which can be used to drive your mains and allow the receiver's amps to concentrate on the remaining channels. Remember, the limiting factor in the receiver is the power supply, so if it only has to drive three channels rather than five, it will have more power for the remaining speakers it is driving. Adding an outboard amp is a common solution for this situation.

I do know your Polks because one of my best friends (a real audio nut like myself) has a pair, and I have listened to them from time to time over the past decade. He has significantly more power driving them however which always makes for better sound. I think you will find that the Paradigms have more detail and are slightly warmer sounding than your Polks.

I hope this helps!

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the input.

No, you didn't upset me. You enlightened me. I am currently going through an educational process regarding audio and home theatre systems. Candidly, I welcome the kind of input that you have given me.

May I ask if a better choice would be for me to purchase a more powerful receiver at the time that I purchase the Paradigms?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 286
Michael,
If it is in your budget I highly suggest you do buy a new receiver for those wonderful 40's and I would go with a NAD that fits your budget like the 753 or 763. NAD with Studio's is a very good combination and you'll find the NAD in a whole other class than the Yamaha. The new Yamaha 1400 and 2400 are improvements over past models but no match against the NAD's. Good luck.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 435
Michael:

I am always somewhat wary about spending money--especially other people's money, so I am not saying you need to do this. But, if you have the finacial flexibility, I would agree with elitefan that getting an NAD 753 or 763 would make a huge difference in quality of sound. The sound will definitely be more convincing and enjoyable to listen to. NAD receivers and Paradigm speakers are a truly great combination. The NAD 753 is what I got to replace a Denon receiver and I have been thrilled with its performance. It is rated at 70wpc x 6 (probably 80 wpc x 5), and NAD receivers generally have about 10-15% more power than rated, according to bench tests I have seen. I got mine for $795 as an indication of its street price.

Alternatively, you can use your Yammie as a pre-pro and add an Adcom GFA-7605 power amp for about $795 (I know this would be a good price at Kiefs--www.kiefs.com), which is an honest 125 wpc x 5, and like the NADs, it has a very warm sound that is very enjoyable to listen to. Either way, you would enjoy the upgrade.

Good luck!

Unregistered guest
If you liked the Studio 40's ($1200.00) no? Then you will LOVE the Green Mountain Europa's at UNDER $900.00 In fact, I compared the two side by side in Mpls a year ago. GMA won hands down. No contest. In fact, for under $6K, I have yet to find ANY speaker that competes. You be the judge.
http://greenmountainaudio.com

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 9
I ordered a pair of Paradigm Studio 40s. Yesterday I listened to my old Polks side by side with Paradigm Studio 20s and several Paradigm Monitors. The Paradigms (even the Studio 20s and the Paradigm Monitors blew the Polks out of the running. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Studio 40s. I will defer my decision as to a receiver upgrade until after I have heard my current system with the new speakers.

Silver Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 456
Congrats, Michael! I know you will really enjoy those new 40s!

Username: Spiderman

I am also looking at the Studio 40's and would like your input on those matched with a Denon 3805. Also looking to setup 7.1 so thinking 2 40s, 4 ADP-470s, a CC-470 (for center) and was not sure on the subwoofer. Advice really appreciated on the match with the Denon, and a sub.

Username: Robertinchico

As stated elsewhere, the hefty power of the NAD equipment DOES work out well with Paradigm's. You won't find any major deficiencies with your new Studio 40's;and I'm sure they blow away that "East Coast Sound" of your old Polks. I have a suggestion though -- try some cable and interconnect upgrades. Straight Wire works quite well with Paradigm speakers and I've found Paradigm speakers to be a sonic Jekyll and Hyde when it comes to cable upgrades. If you like the sonic value of them now, try some cable upgrades and you'll be surprised on a whole new level.

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 11
I believe that I currently have decent cables connecting the speakers to the amp. I have recently completed construction of my media room, and I was careful in my selection of cable (all of which are buried in the walls). If there is a problem, however, I can rerun new cables to the mains inside of my cabinetry. I expect delivery of the Paradigms sometime this week.

Post Number: 5
What cables/interconnects are you using? If you don't mind me asking :-)

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 12
I am using Monster Cable. I do not recall the specific ID#.

Bronze Member

Calabasas, CA USA

Post Number: 13
Addendum to the above post:

I have Monster Cable from the receiver to the speakers.

I have Straight Wire from the source components to the receiver.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Monster cables are USUALLY quite bloated in the midrange and have a very enriched bass. This tends to impress users who like lots of bass; and sometimes works well with certain speakers and sometimes doesn't. Whereas SWires are usually neutral, revealing, detailed and tonally accurate. What Straight Wires are you using?

Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Here I am, another guy considering the Studio 40's which I have yet to hear. Yesterday I heard the Klipsch RB75's. So sweet, so robust, breathtaking...I almost bought them but I want to hear the Studio 40's too. I have a Yamaha RX-595, 80 watts per channel and replacing Large Advents. What do you think guys? (The Klipsch are a little cheaper too. The stores are discounting 10%. Not so with Paradigms. Not carried at the same stores since they seem to be direct competitors.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Rick Zmiejko - the Studio 40 is a nice speaker. They sound fine for the money BUT they do not have a superior low note/low frequency ability. They do not plumb sub-woofer depths. While the lower midrange and midrange to mid-highs and upper highs are clean and decent, you dont get impactful organ notes, bass drum, timpani or the other musical energy impact in the lower spectrum with the Studio 40's. And you certainly won't hear them to their full effect/capabilities without bi-wiring them. So be forwarned, over the Studio 20's the floorstander 40's larger cabinet and resistive port do add bass and enhances lower frequency - but good cables, or bi-wired, or subwoofer considerations are a must at that driver size & configuration. I auditioned the 20 & 40 at length.

Silver Member

Post Number: 357
The 40's are not a floorstander as the previous poster said.
Rick,
If you are planning to keep your Yamaha I would not pair it with Klipsch. That would be bright beyond belief. Any Paradigm model is a very good combination with Yamaha and the only point of contention for me is the Studio 40 is way to good a speaker to be paired with a low level Yamaha like the 595. If you can swing it upgrade to either the 1400 or 2400 with the 40's. Much better match. If not look at the Paradigm Monitor 5 and 7.

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2
OK....What WOULD be good to power the Klipsch RB75s. I really loved them but have not heard the Paradigm Studio 40s yet.
(So much for the "natural" sound touted by Yamaha for this model!)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
The real elite fan - I meant they aren't bookshelf speakers and are on stands.

Rick Zmeijko - why not ask your stereo store about the return policy on speakers for a short term audition, you can return them (in as new condition) if you don't like them.

Silver Member

Post Number: 359
Rick,
Chicobiker is right to point out the stores return policy. This is a must for speakers and at least 1 week minimum should be ok. To drive the Klipsch I would recommend Elite, Marantz, H/K and NAD. Even though I like this receiver list more than any Yamaha I like the Paradigm's much more than the Klipsch which quickly give me listener fatique no matter what drives them. I would prefer the Yamaha/NAD with Paradigm combo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
I agree with the Real elitefan, in a local stereo store, they have a see-through acrylic cabinet of a Klipsh, and they show the internal crossover board to reveal the "guts" of the speaker. Similarly, the horn (mids&highs) pivots (user adjustable) for dispersion etc. But still, I found the cabinets quite flimsy, the sound was not exactly musical (IMO)and what bothered me the most about the Klipsh line was the variation in the sound from model to model; despite the attractive prices. I'd be hard pressed to recommend them UNLESS you like the sound, because it's YOUR speaker.

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5
Funny you should mention the difference in sound in the Klipsch line. I auditioned the SYNERGY line and only the largest floor stander sounded decent. I only listened to the RB75s in the REFERENCE line. I'll check out the Paradigms before I buy. I've been out of the audio scene for a long time. I've got second generation Large Advents! That should tell you something. I don't really want floor standers. Big bookshelf speakers on stands is the way I'd like to go. Any other speakers I should check out? I like pop, rock and dance. Thanks for your help guys...

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6
Athena AS-F2 floorstanders????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Rick - 30 years ago, I had the Advent 1's! They were attached via Radio Shack 'wire' to my Pioneer receiver that had "power guages" to show how many watts were being sent to the speaker. I had a Technics turntable and Sanyo cassette deck! I spent more time watching the receiver "output guages" the cassette "recording level LED's" and adjusting the turntable "quartz lock" for variances in vinyl record weights than I ever did in listening to Music. We used to watch the Advent woofer wobble, bend, flex and bang against the basket when I deliberately overloaded them or jiggled the tonearm to get subsonic frequencies!!! Cruel, but fun.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 12
Heard the ATHENA AS-F1s (dome and 8" woofer)today. Liked them very much. The larger AS-F2s (dome and two 8" woofers) were not hooked up. (Best Buy is awfull!) I can imagine that they were pretty wonderful. Open airy sound as opposed to the "in your face" sound of the Klipch Synergy SF-3s. Similar sound though. I may be swayed into a floorstander....maybe...

Username: Cali308

I'm considering purchasing the Paradigm Studio 40s along with the CC-470 center channel and the signature servo sub. Can anybody help give me an expected price range so I know I'm not getting ripped off? Secondly, does anybody have a Denon AVR-3805 receiver or can give an opinion on how this would sound with the Paradigms? Finally, due to the configuration of my room, I'll probably need to put the rear channel speakers and the side surrounds in the ceiling - do you think this would significantly negatively affect my sound quality? Oh, and one last question....how much of a difference is it to step up to the Paradigm signature series and (S-4) and is it worth the extra cost from a Studio-40?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us