Magnepan MG12 and NAD s250?

cira.g
Unregistered guest
as stated, would my nad amp provide enough power? it's rated @ 125wpc into 8ohms and up to 273wpc dynamic into 4ohms.

the store i auditioned them in was running them off of a mcintosh integrated (6900 model i believe, rated @ 200wpc into both 8 and 4ohms) and all seemed well, but when playing more bass driven music, man that mcintosh got hot....

looking to set up a 5.1 ht system (60% movies/40% music, but music's more important to my ears) consisting of the MG12's for fronts, CC3, and MC1's for rears....hoping my amp will survive....

cira

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 277
Given the specs, I don't think your amp would have any problems. I would think the McIntosh you mentioned would drive them a lot easier than the NAD would though. Maybe McIntosh's normally run hot?

The best way to find out if your amp can drive them is to bring your amp to the store, or arrange for a in-house demo.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1212
Magnepan suggests an amp that doubles it's rated RMS per channel from 8 ohms into 4 ohms. I used to own the power hungry MG12. I bought my Hafler 9505 (250 watts into 8 ohms and 375 into 4 ohms)just for them. I couldn't afford the doubling that Magnepan advised. It drove them with ease, but the Rotel RB981 that I had before struggled with them. In the end I decided that the Maggies though wonderful, didn't do as many things well as my old Paradigm Sudio 40's and sold them. Good luck and I hope you enjoy yours.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us