Speaker setup question - NAD T763 with PSB 5T

Bronze Member
Username: Vulture99

Post Number: 13
I recently purchased a NAD T763 receiver to power my PSB Image 5T speakers. Right now that's all I have - the pair of front speakers. I did the OSD setup and chose the "Stereo" listening option. However, I think I should be getting more bass out of these speakers. With the tone controls (bass, treble) both set to zero, the bass feels very anemic. I have to turn it up to +6 before it seems normal. The treble also needs to be turned up to +2 or +4 before it sounds ok.

This is while playing hard rock at -10 db with good, strong bass. Music source is CD via digital coax. The correct digital source is selected for CD input. The speaker wires are good quality, and are securely and correctly connected.

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something? I hope so - this bass is kinda disappointing. Maybe I need to add a subwoofer or go to the Image 6T's?

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Invierno

Post Number: 17
I've listened (in store) to some rock with a decent amount of bass (Pearl Jam) on the 6T's driven by a T763. Even that combination benefited a little from adding a sub. So my guess is that the 5T's would benefit even more from a sub. If you like hard rock, you'll probably be happier with a sub.

You could also change your speaker positions. The closer they are to the back wall, the more it will enhance the bass -- or so I hear. You may not like the effect, though.

If your room is all hardwood floors and bare walls the sound reflections could be throwing things way off, too. If so, time to get a rug and hangings...

You do have your speakers defined as "Large" through the OSD, right? Normally "Small" speakers don't get all the bass.

Or, you might just like more bass than is actually there in the music -- in that case, you can just turn it up like you're doing right now.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Yes, the speakers are defined as Large. They are about 1 ft away from the back wall. It *is* a room with hardwood floors and fairly bare walls. The room is 12' x 14' with a 10' high wood ceiling, and is almost completely open on the left side. Already have a good-sized rug, sofa, love seat.

Might be time to try the 6T's plus a sub, as you suggested. Anyone have experience matching Axiom speakers to NAD gear? I'd like to listen to the M60ti towers: http://www.axiomaudio.com/m60ti.html. Their Epic 60 HT package also looks interesting: http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic60.html. The matching finish would also help with the WAF - she was not hot on the idea of the black PSB 8C center speaker to match the cherry 5T's. I've read that they sound overly bright, though...

Silver Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 428
Mike:

If you want more bass, move your speakers back closer to the wall--try 6" away and see of you like the sound better. Room acoustics are always the overlooked component in setting up a sound system. BTW, the foam plugs have been removed from the bass ports, haven't they? I don't know about PSBs, but I have purchased a couple of sets of speakers lately and all have come with a foam plug inside the bass port, which I had to remove to get the bass I wanted. Just a thought . . .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Ok, I tried moving them closer to the wall and it didn't make much difference. There are no foam plugs in the bass ports.

Hawk, I read in another thread that your listening room is also open to the left. How did you account for that when making your speaker selection? A lot of in-home trials?

I'm looking at other speaker options such as the PSB 6T's or maybe Paradigm Studio 60's. I'd like to try the Studio 100's, but they're not really in my price range. Any other recommendations for speakers with stronger bass?

Thanks,
Mike

Anonymous

Hi Mike,

I currently have the T763 with PSB 6T's and no sub using coax digital cable to connect my player. I have my bass set to 0 and my treble set to 2. The bass is very strong, so strong that I haven't even thought of getting a sub. The one difference, is I used solid core 16g speaker wires bi-wired to the speakers, this made a huge difference in sound. I also noticed when I purchased a better CD player, the bass response was much better.

I don't know, there could be a problem somewhere. I don't think that getting new speakers or connecting it differently is going to make a night and day difference. There always will be improvements, but if you're getting nothing, that's a problem. I would take the receiver and the speakers to your dealer and try your speakers hooked up to your receiver and then to a different receiver and do the same with the receiver, try them hooked up to other speakers. You may find there's a problem somewhere or with something. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 317
If you plan on getting a surround system at some time in the future it may be wise to purchase a self-powered subwoofer, such as the HSU VTF-2 now. It is about the best subwoofer at its price point--$449--and is available from HSU online.

PSB also makes a fine subwoofer that is less expensive, the subsonic 5, and it can be found online from $325-$375. It is not quite as impressive as the HSU VTF-2, but it is a very solid performer.

You can cross over your 5T's at 60 or 80 Hz and get excellent bass.

While I have heard many PSB speakers, I am not that familiar with the tuning flexibility of the 5 T's. I have a pair of PSB Stratus Gold i's, but they have little in common with the Image Series, other than the fact that they are both good speakers at their price points and that Paul Barton (of PSB) came out of the same National Research Council of Canada as did so many other excellent speaker designers (Paradigm, Energy, Axiom, and many others). Some speakers have "bass" and "treble" boosts on the rear of the speaker and you might try that. Or you could try boosting the bass from your receiver.

Regarding the Axiom Epic 60's, they are a fine speaker system at their price point. Although I would switch out their subwoofer for the HSU. HSU also has an excellent subwoofer in the $300's, besides the VTF-2.

Silver Member
Username: Disco_stan

Minnesota

Post Number: 103
Mike,
Have you tried looking at Canton LE 109 Floorstanding speakers? Im in the middle of researching them and they seem pretty decent, on a spec sheet (http://www.downtownaudio.com/noname3.html) I'm looking its printed to go down as low as 20 hertz. So maybe thats just what you are looking for in a speaker

They are priced at $780 for the pair, and also give the Canton LE 107 a look, that one is priced at $580 from Down Town Audio.

Silver Member
Username: Disco_stan

Minnesota

Post Number: 104
One more thing, heres a review.
http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review11_main53.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us