College student

Username: Archon

Post Number: 1
hey im starting college in the fall and will be living in a dorm so i was wondering what are your suggestions for a good system?

keep in mind i wont have lots of room

my current choice is the JVC HX-GD8

btw im going to be listening rap and hip hop

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 768
This one sounds and looks a lot better - got the best rating on hifichoice magazine.

You can buy it for a lot less than msrp here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5789713941&category=67802 %26%26

The executive systems sound better than all in one plastic systems.

Congrats on College entrance.
Study hard and have fun.

Post Number: 2
but doesn't that denon have much less power than the JVC

JVC is 550 watts

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 777
Yes but JVC power-rating is over stated, and is not quality power like Denon.

The Denon plays quite loud - just place the speakers on the same level as your ears, and the system will sound better than JVC for sure.

The speakers on Denon is made by a famous British speaker company - Mission, while JVC does not have experience in making quality speakers.

The Denon system is originally priced at $700, so you are getting a different quality product.

You will love the looks - classy and well constructed with metal casing - which makes it sound better.

JVC is plastic.

If you are near Goodguys store, go have a listen and you will see my point.

What is your email?

I will email you with a link you might be interested in.

Post Number: 3
archon_bg@yahoo.com

KBear
Unregistered guest
I have the Denon system myself and it is great. Instead of the Missions I purchased a pair of Energy Connoisseur C-1 speakers. I listened to both when I bought the system and preferred the Energy speakers to the Missions. The C-1's extend to lower bass frequencies than do the Missions, but I still found I needed to buy a Subwoofer to get good sounding and deep bass.

Maybe the JVC will suit you better if you have a very large room and want to play music really loud with lots of bass. Not that the Denon can't do this...it fills my small room very easily and I like my music loud. I listen to mainly hard rock...the system goes up to a volume setting of 35. I've never gone higher than 23 or 24 because by that point it's already very, very loud...but with no apparent distortion. So the sound quality is excellent, and it can easily fill a small to moderate size room. The JVC can probably go louder but as already mentioned with poorer sound quality.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us