Receiver for Axiom Epic 80 Package

Username: Ht_neophite

Post Number: 1
I am currently in the process of upgrading my very tame home theater system (BOSE Accoustimas 15 / Kenwood KR-V6050) to something a bit more robust. I have decided on the Axiom Epic 80 Package(M80ti, QS-8, VP150, and EP 350) though I'm not really sure on the receiver to choose. I am currently considering the H/K AVR 7200 or the Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi. For my budget, I have basically $1000-$1200 to spend. I was wondering what the best option would be and/or should I be considering any other receivers or seperates?

Any and all advice is most welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Gdawg

Canada

Post Number: 94
Kevin,

You will need a receiver to drive those 4 ohm fronts. The 7200 would be a better option IMO. The P.E wouldnt like the low impedance.

Acording to Pioneer, you void your warranty by driving 4 ohm speakers??

G.DawG

Bronze Member
Username: Gdawg

Canada

Post Number: 95
My opening sentance doesnt sound too bright:D I meant a good receiver.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 315
Believe it or not I asked Alan Lofft of Axiom about recommending a receiver to drive the Epic 80 package a few months back. While he didn't mention NAD (although I am sure it is excellent for driving this system) he says he drives the system in house all the time with Denon's and HK's with no problem.

The following is his response:

Hello Greg,

The H/K AVR525 will drive the M80tis with ease. In fact, H/K and Denon are the only receiver brands that I recommend for the 4-ohm M80s (other brands either shut down, overheat and shut down, or limit current output severely into 4-0hm loads).

I use the H/K AVR525 and it drives my M80s and M22ti's with no problem. Ignore the warning on the back (Use 8-ohm Speakers). The H/K amps are stable and robust into lower impedances.

Thanks for your interest in Axiom!

Cordially,

Alan Lofft
Axiom Resident Expert

I would certainly recommend (considering what Alan Lofft said), either the new HK AVR 430 or the new AVR 630--whichever fits into your budget.
Another good HK receiver is the 7200 which is on closeout at onecall.com I think onecall.com has the AVR630 at $718.50 and the 7200 at under $800.

The only change I would make in the speaker system is to switch out the Axiom subwoofer for the HSU VTF-2, which is on sale online a HSU for $449. It is a killer subwoofer at the price and much better than the Axiom subwoofer.

Anonymous

if you go to the axiom website and read their forum entries you will find that most of the axiom owners are writing about their system with an HK receiver.

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 320
Maybe that is because of Alan Lofft's recommendation. His being "Axiom's resident expert" I am sure his advice carries a lot of weight.

Silver Member
Username: Disco_stan

Minnesota

Post Number: 105
So would you recommend a NAD amplifier powering Axiom's 4 0hm independance?

And how would you describe the sound of the Axioms? I trying to find something that will go great with my NAD C270 amp when I get it.

Silver Member

Minnesota

Post Number: 107
Hey Greg how long did it take for you to get a reply from Axiom? I emailed them yesturday and haven't got a reply.

Silver Member

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 326
Usually a day or two for a reply. It depends how busy things are I imagine.

I am sure the NAD line is fine for Axiom 4 ohm's or 8 ohms, just as HK's would be fine.

Most speaker manufacturers usually dislike recommending receivers. They don't like to make enemies. Often they will say--"Ask the receiver manufacturer if the receiver is 4 ohm capable".

Occassionally you get lucky and they will tell you what receivers they like with their speakers.

The Axiom's are relatively lively sounding. They aren't laid back in sound, nor are they as "hot" as Klipsch's. But they are more lively than average. Not a veiled or dark sound. They should work well with both HK and NAD.

Silver Member

Minnesota

Post Number: 108
Great, thank you very much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us