What is the diff. btw. an av reciver and an amplifier

Username: Krishnan

Gurgaon, Haryana India

Post Number: 2
what is the diff. btw. an av reciver and an amplifier. I have to build up a music system for myself. I am ahardcore rock and metal addict. So please advice me about what should be the choice of the speakers. The dimensions of my room is 10ft long, 8 ft breaddth and 10 ft height. I have a huge collection of cassetes and audio cds. So plz do tell me an appropriate audio caset player as well

Thank you
Krishnan

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 109
An amplifier is a component that converts a low voltage, low current signal from a tuner, DVD player, etc., into a higher current signal capable of driving speakers. A receiver is a component that incorporates a pre-amplifier, one or more amplifiers and tuner in one chassis. An A/V receiver also contains a decoder to process surround sound and electronics to process and pass audio and video signals to your TV.

It sounds like you do not need an A/V receiver, only an audio (stereo) receiver. As far as speakers go, you should take your music out to audio stores and listen to it on a variety of speakers. Then you can decide which you like best. Speakers sound quite different from one another. Your room is on the small side, so you would do well with bookshelf size speakers. Sorry, can't help you with cassette players.

Username: Krishnan

Gurgaon, Haryana India

Post Number: 3
Thnaks for that in depth coverage Jimvm. But I just want to know what is the use for a/v reciever. I have an amplifier from Pioneer 4 channels and 82 watt RMS per channel. I was to build one more so that i can give this one back to my brother. I just checked out the Panasonic SC-HT 623 as it is the on home theater system with an in built cassette player. I have a huge collection which i've already mentioned and i don't want to trade it for any cd's. Just check the player out for me. and let me know if it's worth the buy. Or else i'll try to build one for myself. I'll be forwarding the details within the next week about the player, the amp and speakers.

Do let me know about the functinality of the av recievers. Do I need an amplifier if i own a av reciever..

by the way thanks for ur help nontheless..
I am highly grateful..
Krishnan

AVG
Unregistered guest
To make it simpler:
An A/V receiver already includes an amplifier.
Therefore, to answer the question in your last post, you do NOT need an amplifier IF you (already) have an A/V receiver.

To answer your other question in your last post:
An A/V receiver is the center of a home theater audio system; it is what you connect all the components (DVD player, cassette desk, turntable, TV and even speakers) to.

The receiver processes and amplifies the input signal fed into it from these connected components and sends that as sound (music or speech) to your speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY

Post Number: 270
Krishnan -

An A/V receiver is a home theater receiver. It has 5 (or more) channels that create a movie theater in your room. It is typically not used for music (although there are a few cd's recorded in surround sound). It is for movies that have surround sound.

You may also be confused about the differences between an amp and receiver. An amp amplifies volume. It usually doesn't have any controls on it, only inputs and outputs on the back. To use an amp, you need a pre-amp, which controls the amp. A pre-amp will have input selectors like cd, tape, etc., volume control, balance, and so on.

A receiver combines the pre-amp and amp. Think of it as a pre-amp and power amp in one frame.

Some receivers can be used as a pre-amp only, but it needs to have a pre-amp output. These are regular output connectors(RCA's). They are labeled as Pre-out and main in. They have a U shaped metal bar the connects the two. If the receiver can be used as a pre-amp, you disconnect the metal bars, and connect the pre-out to an external amp.

If you are just going to play music, I would advise you get a 2 channel system, either a receiver, or pre-amp and amp combination. The pre-amp and amp combo is usually better, but it costs more money. I have no idea what products they sell in India, how much they cost, or how much you are spending, so I cannot say what is a good product for you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us