Can someone help me with a possible upgrade?

Good Day,

I have been putting together an audio system for many years. Like many of you, I'm sure, it's a work in progress. I have gone into home theatre over the last few years, but once again, I am in a position to upgrade, but I am not certain where my weakest link is. I am mostly concerned about audio as that is primarily my primary use - video is secondary.

I am using a 6-7 year old Yamaha DSP-1092A Integrated amplifier which I think may be due for an upgrade. For speakers, I have PSB's Century 800's as the mains, the C2 as the center, Ambient 2's as the rear surrounds, an Atlantic Technology HO12 for a sub, and NHT Super Zero's for front surrounds. Television is a 65" Mitsubishi Platinum Series HDTV. (Onkyo Tuner, Toshiba DVD, Pioneer CD, JVC Cassette)

I am actually very pleased with the theatre, but my two-channel listening just seems to lack something. I'm wondering if a speaker upgrade or an amplifier upgrade would be most logical? And would it be prudent to begin moving to seperates and, if so, which would be a piece I could buy and use it in conjunction with current system?

I have a rather large, unusual listening room (it's a loft with 17ft. high ceilings)which may be a problem. The PSB's put out some pretty good sound, but I seem to lose some of the mid and high's at higher listening levels. I listen to mostly vocal music (ie, James Taylor, Paul Simon, Carla Bonoff, Jimmy Buffett, etc.) although for parties we do crank it up (eg., AC/DC, Twisted Sister, Kiss, etc.,) so I would like something that handle this range. I would like to limit next purchase to $1000 but I could go to $1500. I was considering PSB Stratus Gold i's....does anyone have any experience with these or other speakers I should look at? And, finally, does anyone have any opinion on Magnepan's or Definitive Tech speakers?

Thanks,
Dave Harris, M.S.

The pioneer cd is the culprit most likely, if it is not hogh end model. Your other gears are pretty good stuff - they should sound good, but you have it paired with a low quality source, and the source plays a huge part.
I would try to bring cd players into your liveing room and audition from audio shops. I would recommend NAD 541($500), Sherwood newcastle 980 (hard to find), and this *sony dvpns-500v*(www.plazmaplus.com - only $169)
You need unscale cd player with a deep sound stage, and you will hear a difference. Check WWW.hifichoice.com for reviews. What model no. pioneer cd is it anyway?
Hopefully this will help, and I know what you mean, to have a sound in your mind and not to have it satisfied. You can spend a lot and not get it, coz high end stuffs are over priced. You have a good amp and speakers - get a decent cd player, and cables! Don't spend zillions on them, but spend some to get quality ones if you don't have them already - hifichoice recommended cables should be a good starting place. I would buy a foot of speaker cables and experiment. Let me know how it's going.

Depends on how much you want to spend. I think
the Jolida JD1501RC is one helluva integrated
amp ($500-$600). 100-watt hybrid (solid state & tube)with remote. Beautiful unit for the money.

CD player? Try the Music Hall MMF-CD25. Very
nice piece ($500) and matches well with Jolida,
both sonically and cosmetically.

Speakers? EFE T-22s ($1000/pair). They perform
like $3000 speakers. Ed Frias recently improved the crossovers to make them even better. You
will not be disappointed.

Tom,

Thanks for your help. Been awhile since I started this thread, but I have gone, largely, in the direction that you described.

I went with the Klipsch RF-7's ($1400)which I think is a fairly significant improvement over my PSB's. Then, since I kind of like the idea of horns with tubes, I went with the fully modded Jolida 302b for about $1200.

Yes, I am still using my crappy Pioneer mega-changer and I believe it is the weak link in my system. I have been at a standstill as their seem to be many good choices. I am fairly evenly split between the Music Hall 25, the Njoe Tjoeb offering, and the Jolida 100 player. I am actually thinking about waiting a month or two, and going with the interesting looking Shanling CD-T100.

Dave

Sorry I can't help you but...
Can you help me?
Love Carla Bonoff's music but can't find much shared....
Can you give me some clues?
Thanks,
G

Joong-In Rhee
Greg, You might want to check out these sights:

Mp3.com (don't download though - bugs, just listen)

CDnow.com

Amazon.com

sawyer davis
Unregistered guest
try the AMC cd-8b single disc player for $200 or less. bang for the buck!!! you won't be disapointed. i went w/ the klipsch rf-3's, definitive tl-15+, and finishing the center and rears as we speak...looks like i'm going w/ bic modified by ed frias.
oh.. the power comes from a denon avr 1804
it's nothing special.. but for the money i have in it all... it works pretty well!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us