Inexpensive spkrs for orhestral and jazz

Username: Occam

Post Number: 1
Which speaker manufacturer is noted for good orhestral and jazz reproduction in the low price ($150) range.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 627
not much to choose from in the way of quality at that price range, but you might have a listen to some jbl e20 or 30's at best buy. Don't buy them there though, go to www.onecall.com and buy them if you like them.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1172
Infinity. Really guys I'm serious. If you can spring for them, the Paradigm Atom or Titan work very nicely. You can get the Atom for a little under $200 and the Titan for a little over $200.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 640
I would definitely try those. I have no experince with quality low end stuff, Art has a vast knowledge off most everything I have ever heard of, def. listen to him.

Username: Eyeswideshut

Abubala , Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1
I highly recommend upping your budget a bit and going with Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's. You just need to save a little longer, and the results will be well worth it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1176
You forgot the Ling's which are about to give those Ascend's a lickin'!

Bronze Member
Username: Eyeswideshut

Abubala , Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 11
Never!

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1285
ahem!!!

NOTE: my imposter is listed as Bronze Member with a different Username and also different Post number and Registered date.

clever little bugger, whoever he/she/it is...

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 270
"It" is

Titans are okay but I sold mine and now have Ascend cbm 170s $320 new.

Also have Axiom M22s about $400 new, and Athena b1s - about $100 new on amazon and a few other places. Or better - go on up the Athena line - B2s maybe for $150.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1179
Titan's can be had for $100 less than the Ascends that's why I mentioned them. Push up the budget by that much and it's a whole new ballgame.

Silver Member
Username: Donaldekelly

Washington, DC Usa

Post Number: 274
Good point, Art

How bout the Athenas - any comments?

And, off topic, what do you think of the Paradigm Studio 20s, Art?

Randomly It Goes Along
Unregistered guest
What kind of Jazz? How do you like your mix? I listen to instumental upbeat smooth Jazz, and usually tend toward music with a pretty heavy (but quality!) bass line. Accordingly, one can't recommend some shrimpy bookshelves for my tastes. What are your tastes?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1189
Hopefully "smooth jazz" ain't jazz to neil. I use the Studio 20v3's for rears but would not hesitate to use them in a 2 channel system for classical and jazz music. In fact I believe that they are versatile enought to excel at all kinds of music including smooth jazz.

Randomly Random
Unregistered guest
>Hopefully "smooth jazz" ain't jazz to neil.

What is THAT supposed to mean?

And what of these Paradigm studios? How much do they cost? 7 inch woofers aren't too bad. That's at least decent size. I just have trouble believin' people when they say, oh yeah, my 5" woofers put out LOTS of bass . . . yeah stinkin' right!

Somed00d
Unregistered guest
Used pair of Polk Rt25i - http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/417/index.html

Im guessing u can get them for about $150

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1194
Precisely what I said. Most folks understand that "smooth jazz" is a name given to a style of music that has as much to do with jazz as country music does. I'm not saying it's bad music but it ain't jazz. Studio 20's retail for $800 and can be had for a little less. Highly rated and recommended speaker and with good reason.

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 653
I tell you what random, don't discount smaller woofers as underachievers. The Rainmakers I own have 5" woofers and can produce 38-40hz no problem. Now I am not saying it blows me away, but it is enough to balance the music out. The higher quality speaker you go with, the more likely it is going to do what you thought was not possible.

Art is Grover Washington Jr. considered "smooth jazz"?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us