Speakers popping!!! Tried everything please help!!!!

Username: Mattgreg

Smyrna, GA USA

Post Number: 1
I have in-wall Niles speakers for this job and all my a/v equip is on dedicated circuit. All equip is in remote closet. However there is a celing fan w/ dimmer switch in theatre room. when fan speed is adjusted with switch speakers pop. My speaker wires are not running in parallel with electrical wires. The fan switch is on the front wall near the right speaker but even swapping fan switch with toggle switch, the speakers pop only when switch is turned off. a/v dedicated circuit is even in totally different elec. svc. box. This is a house with newly upgraded 400amp service.

Tried using Panamax 5100 but still did not filter out noise.

I know you all may be thinking don't use fan control while in theatre but this is annoying and I haven't experienced this before.

Can anybody suggest anything?

Thanks,
Matt

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 621
replace the dimmer??

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 662
Matt

Sounds to me like the fan is on the same circuit. I knwo you're saying it wasn't but it certainly sounds like it is! One way to check is to switch off all the components of the main system. Go to the dedicated electric service box of the HT system and switch it off. No juice should be going to that system now right? Switch on the fan. If it doesn't come on, it's on the same circuit.

If it does come on, I'm stumped!

Regards,
Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 626
Cheap dimmers can send feedback through the lines even if the panel is a sub panel sep. from the main.

Username: Mattgreg

Smyrna, GA USA

Post Number: 2
I have replaced the dimmer with a standard on/off switch and still pops. Also swapped for a nice Lutron dimmer and still pops.

I definitely tried isolating breakers and the fan and a/v equip is definitely on different circuit.

I had electrician state that even though the breakers are on seperate circuits, they could still be on same 110 leg but I am not sure what that means.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us