Another forgoten brand....Mirage

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 21
Who knows Mirage speakers?

Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 9
Probably the people who work for them i would guess. They are made by API or Audio Products International. They also make Energy and Athena. They use silk man made tweeters and polypropolene woofers instead of titanium tweeters and paper cone woofers. I love my athenas. It also helps create a "radius of sound" from what I've read. This just makes the imaging more accurate and enveloping.
Two thumbs up from me!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
good grade, did not know where the same guys from Energy

Now whats the pros and cons of Silk vs Titanium tweeters?????

Thanks

Post Number: 10
from what ive read a titanium tweeter can make the highs sound very pitched and painful, especially if you match it with a bright receiver. Also having a silk tweeter from what Ive read makes the listening area larger and the sound archs out in a semi circle instead of just a line, how true that is i cant say but the sound is just too freakin amazing for the price. Great build quality from API

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
So, Hi End speakers should have silk and not titanium, right???

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 224
I've heard their OM-9 (I think that's the right model). They were a bipolar tower. They sounded really good, but placement isn't exactly east with bipolars. Every speaker sounds different in different rooms, but bipolars can sound exponentially different.

All of this is very subjective, your ears should be the judge. In regards to all of the speakers people talk about here (and a few left out as you have mentioned), I would say they are all equal to each other (dollar for dollar, and similar types). They're really aren't any "better" or "worse," they're all just different. This will probably start a huge arguement though. If it does, sorry to ruin your thread, it wasn't my intention.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 225
I've also heard a few others in their line now that I think about it - towers, bookshelves, centers, and subs. I've got nothing but good things to say about them. They are a well made and good sounding speaker that are generally priced right. If your ears like them is another story.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
good point stu...eduardo go to a best buy or future shop and demo them, compare their build and technology to the others that are there and see what you think. I love mine but other people love Bose and Klipsch better. I like the technology and build quality and plus the sound is great.

To answer your question, very few speakers actually use silk tweeters at this time, its fairly new tech along with the polypropolene woofers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
So, Hi End speakers should have silk and not titanium tweeters, right???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
yes and no....depends on the manufacturer. Athenas are not Hi end speakers, nor energy and Mirage, they are great speakers that have this new technology. High ends like Bang, B&W and Kef may go that route if the outcome makes their speakers sound crisper and more accurate.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 226
About silk and titanium - It is possible for either one to sound better than the other. Just because a speaker has a silk tweeter doesn't mean that it will sound better than any titanium, aluminium, etc. tweeter. Generally silk is smoother, but there are companies who mess up the design. Generally metal tweeters are harsher, but there are companies who can make them smooth.

Generally speaking silk tweeters are smoother than metal, but there are exceptions to every rule. Don't rule one out or jump at one because it has the material you want/don't want. Listening to the speaker is what counts, not materials, spec sheets, etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
"Wave of the Future!" lol thats a good slogan for silk tweeters and polypropolene woofers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Stu is right again. Myself, I liked the new tech, taht was one of the reasons why I went the API route, but it was the sound that got me to shell out the cash. If the speakers sounded like hell it wouldnt matter what material was used.

Bronze Member
Username: Pbdr

Post Number: 39
I owna pairof Mirage OMNI 60s (picked em up on ebay for $325 new) and like them alot. They sound very good to my ears and actually have adequate bass for most music I listen to. I am planning on getting a sub for HT at some point. I have a difficult room with stairs and openings and such and they do a good job with it (well i'm kind of a newbie, so I think they do a good job anyway). The OMNI series has an "omni polar" design where they reflect the woofer and tweeter into a disperer.

Check them out here: http://miragespeakers.com/omni60.shtml#

From the specs, the OMNI 60 doesn't use a silk tweeter, it has a titanium tweeter and polypropylene titanum deposit hybrid woofer; although I am intrigued by your silk tweeter descritions.

I like these speakers alot and would definately consider more Mirages when I upgrade, although I will probably try to test several brands first.

Anyhoo, just thought i would weigh in since I own some.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 227
I don't know where you are from Eduardo, but last I heard Tweeter carries the entire Mirage line. They've also got some pretty good electronics to demo them with. I'm definately not a fan of chain stores, but they are pretty good. Don't expect much of a discount unless they have a discontinued or floor model. Their sales people are more knowledgable that Best Buy and Circuit City by a long shot, but they generally aren't as good as some of the family owned hi-fi shops.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
From what ive read, athena is the only company right now that has silk tweeters with poly woofers, but the rest of the api brands are to go that route in some time

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Doesnt the Q series from KEF have the same silk poli combo???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
I couldnt tell you to be honest, its been a while since ive looked it all up, but when i did athena was the only brand rockin it

so it is possible that Kef went that way too but i dont know

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 342
Kef uses Aluminum on their newer models and Mirages tweater is called a Hypertweater

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 598
Metallic tweeters are not generally "better" than silk or "softer" material tweeters, it just depends on the company. My totems are aluminum and they sound awesome, not harsh at all. I have also heard silk tweeters from polk that sounded terrible, so you see it really depends ont he manufacturer.

Silver Member

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 232
That's exactly what I was trying to say.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1142
I agree with Joseph and Stu. I have Paradigm v3 Reference series and they have the satin anodized aluminum tweeter and it sounds silky smooth. The old v2 Reference series did sound just a bit bright. They made a change to what is probably the same aluminum tweeter and voila it is now listenable over long periods of time with no fatigue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us