Volume question!

New Jo
Unregistered guest
First, Let me say that all this subject of A/V is new to me, and reading this fourm helps alot, I just wish I saw this before I bought my gear.
I got the Onkyo 602, the guy in the store told me it's the best reciever in it's price, and that I won't regrate. I tried and couldn't see many good/any review on Onkyo recievers here.
I really like the sound of that reciever, only it seems to me that I have to increase the volume very high up to -20db when I listen to music in stereo mode. Is that normal? When my friend came over he said he never goes above the middle in his Sony reciever and he get's REALLY load sound. I'm using Wharfedale 91Db towers.
Is that sound normal or im way out of line here?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1253
I usually listen to movies at around -10 to -25 db so that's about right.

Used to have a 601 myself for 2 weeks, returned it in favor of a Marantz 5400 because I didn't like its music performance. But for HT it was fine, though I wasn't running any big towers with it---the bigger the speaker the more quality power it's going to need. If you're happy with the 602 then, don't worry about it.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 206
I don't know much about the db ratings with volume control (have to go to -10 to -25; I've never had a receiver that indicated volume that way), but the position on the dial from one brand or even model to another is meaningless. Some brands have the biggest gains in volume between the 7 o'clock and 10 o'clock position, while others have it spread out evenly over the entire circle.

Unless the amp is getting very hot and the sound quality is audibly decreasing at normal listening levels, I think you are fine. If either of these two are the case, then you most likely need more power. 91 db speakers are very efficient (not a lot of power needed to get loud), so I don't think that you should be too concerned.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 461
the numbers are meaningless. just turn it up till you hear distortion. my dad's marantz sr4400 is turned up close to 0 and it runs just fine nice and loud for movies. your friend is an idiot.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 902
Numbers are not meaningless. Use them for reference. Once you reach distortion, note the number and consistently stay fairly well below it.

Silver Member
Username: Kano

Post Number: 531
5 on a 1-10 dial is equivalent to 0dB on receivers that reference the volume this way.

At -20dB you are around 3 if compared to the Sony.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 464
i thought that was assumed dale. sorry if i wasnt being explicit enough.

New Jo.
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys it's good to know. I wonder does the saleman gave me a good reciever compared to the other in his price range?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us