Best pair of bookshelfs for ~$150 or less...

Username: Excelsior

Post Number: 1
Sorry, I know this has been done before, many times, but I figured why not do another.

For a bit of background, these will be my first set of new/decent speakers. I am going to be a sophomore in college, and last year I used my sisters old JVC stereo receiver and her old-circa 1992 Bose 301 bookshelfs. They worked OK I guess, but they are hers, and I would rather stop borrowing them and upgrade/get some of my own.

I am pretty much sure I won't be using a sub with these new speakers, so I guess I am trying to look for a bookshelf that will give me the best bass it can ( i am not a basshead by any means, I just want enough to get by). I would really rather the speaker be more neutral, have more midrange, than anything else. I have been researching possible choices for the past few days and this is what I have come up with.

Also, I mainly listen to Rock, bands such as Pearl Jam, classic rock too.

Each price listed is for the PAIR.

Infinity Entra Ones - $100 from Vanns when they get in stock.

Polk R15s - $100 from Circuit City, can use $25 giftcard, so ~$80 including tax.

Infinity Primus 150s ~$160 from online vendors.

Paradigm Titans - up to $150 depending on where they are found, ebay..etc

Level TWO Bookshelfs - $169 from Home Theater Direct.com

Athena AS-B2.2s ~$150 from audioadvisor.com

Now, am I leaving any off? I am sure I am.

Now, concerning receivers. I only have two to choose from unless I decide to buy one.
A Dynaco SCA-80 and an older JVC, forgot the model number, we are in the process of moving and it is somewhere in the garage. I wanna say RX-202 or something along that lines, it starts with a lower number (2,3) and is fairly simple. I wish I knew the specs of it. If I have to, I will purchase a receiver, but won't be able to spend much on it.

Oh, and I can stretch the budge as high as $180 shipped incl tax/everything if I need to.

Camel
Unregistered guest
I'd say go with the Athena AS-B2.2. They are a great bargain and have a decent sized driver to give you a satisfying amount of bass.

Post Number: 2
Yeah, to be honest, they are the ones I have been considering after looking at all the others. I have heard good things about Athena, in terms of value.

Post Number: 3
Was looking around more and noticed DCM FT6s. Are they any good?

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1250
Athena B2s, then Paradigm Titans.

What's the receiver budget?

Silver Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 333
I would say the SDAT bookshelfs and you get the stands with them,but they dont go down to 20 htz.,expect a solid 40 though. for $85 bucks cant beat that.

Stealth_C
Unregistered guest
Cambridge Soundworks Model Six $149.

Depending on placement (up against a wall preferably) you can also expect 40Hz and thanks to its acoustic suspension design the bass rolloff isn't as bad as with ported speakers. They are also easily tweaked if you ever want to "upgrade" them.

Post Number: 5
Well..to answer your question Edster, the receiver budget depends on how much I spend on speakers. Really, my TOTAL max budget is around $200.

Post Number: 6
And Stealth_C - in all of my searching the Cambridge Model 6 hasn't surfaced. However, I just checked it out, and it also looks quite promising. Apparently Cambridge soundworks has an online outlet sort of like Axiom, I could pick up the 6s for $105.

Bronze Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 11
Id hit up the Athenas, great bass, great mids and highs and sounds great with a lot of different types of music, not just a select few. Good build quality too.

Anonymous

You have to type out the six to find info about it. Here is one favorable review.

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Reviews/CSW_2/

Stealth_C
Unregistered guest
Also, they did improve slightly since that review was written (being cheaper and having improved construction in the form of a new front baffle brace.

I just re-read your post too... Yeah CSW doesn't get much credit, but the Model Six is indeed very good.

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 27
I own an Ensamble with 2 satelites and 2 sunwofers for stereo listening and for the price paid i think it is great

Post Number: 7
Very intriguing. I am quite interested in the Model Six now. Audioreview has 36 reviews on them, and it was rated by the users 4.39 out of 5. Getting them at $105 would leave me pretty much $100 left for a receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Eieiei0101x

Post Number: 29
I know this is breaking the rules but wait one month, save $50 more and get Diamond 8.1 for $200.

Post Number: 8
lol. "breaking the rules"

I don't know where Id get the $50 more..or rather..if I spent all $200 Id be stuck with the receivers I do have.

Post Number: 9
Just found my other receiver. It is a JVC RX-403, with 5 band equalizer. I can't find a damn thing on the internet about it though. No specs!

Anonymous

Can't say I know anything about it, but you might as well try it out and see how it sounds before junking it.

Post Number: 10
Yeah..back when I used it in my room (2 years ago) I had some aiwa speakers that came from a combo setup, and some really old unidentified bookshelfs. I guess I couldn't tell if it sounded good or not.

I have some pictures here.

Upload

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 753
Willy D

Hallo there

I've given it a try as well and I can't find any technical specifications on it, it looks like a early to mid 1990's model that much I can say, try sending JVC corporation an Email requesting technical specifications on JVC model JVC RX-403 they may have it in the archival sections.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Yeah, it is definitely a model that came out somewhere between 90 and 95. Good idea, I will try contacting JVC.

Username: Makoman

Post Number: 1
If you are interested in the Athena's -- try amazon.com -- free shipping!

Zorro
Unregistered guest
You could pair this one with the athenas.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5789326014&category=3279% 26%26

Just a thought

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Zorro, yeah, I am definitely interested in picking up another receiver, but for now, I am more interested in speakers. An onkyo 8211 or 8511 would be just fine for me.

Spud - amazon lists the ones from audio advisor, and they also list another one that says 146, free shipping. No pictures and things though. Strange.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 797
Get the 8511 - more double the power, so more dynamic, and satisfying.

You can get it for $139 at ebay.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I would definitely like to get the 8511.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us