Question Regarding Receiver set-up

Anonymous

If you are using the 5.1 analog outputs of a DVD player into the analog inputs of the receiver, and the DVD player is doing all of the decoding, which one should you do the speaker settings on? I know you wouldn't want to do them on both, but which is better? Or should you do speaker size on the receiver and do distance and channel level out of the DVD player or the other way around? I've never heard anything on this.

thanks a lot.

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 38
It depends on your equipment. You should be able to get your answer here http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/bass_management_DVDA1.php

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 39
One more thing: bass management functions are now available on some mid-priced dvd players and not just on flagship models as noted in the FAQ. If both your dvd player and receiver have bass management functions, then I would go with the dvd player's because it would involve one less D-A conversion.

Anonymous

Thanks for the input two cents...

It actually talks more about bass management then speaker size, delays and channel balance. I have a Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD player, NAD T763, PSD Stratus Gold main, PSB 8C center channel, Vienna Acoustic Waltz surrounds and no sub. Right now, using the analog outputs, I let the DVD player do all decoding, DTS, DD, DVD-A and SACD. Both the units allow me to do speaker size, delays and channel balance. I've heard several times that it's best to run thing flat, but that's just not a realistic option for me, my room and my listening position.

Anymore advise...

Anonymous

Sorry Two Cents,

I didn't see you next post. I figured you should let one do the D-A conversion, I figured it should probably be the DVD player and run the receiver flat, but just wasn't sure if that was best.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us