Sound and Vision receiver review

Anonymous

I was in the store today and the magazine had 3 receivers a Sony, 4500 Marantz and an 815 Pioneer and although they said some very good things about the Marantz their choice was the Pioneer. I saw another good review of the receiver also. One mans opinion but it seems they continue to build some lower end very good deals such as the 1014 before.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1102
Sound & Vision is the low end rag of the industry. Try "The Perfect Vision" for a far more informative read. They truly have a sound over gadget ethic which you may enjoy. I get a free copy of S&V each month (they can't even sell it around here) for bathroom reading and entertainment. You may have to look for "The Perfect Vision" as it isn't sold everywhere. I usually get my copy at Border's.

Silver Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 961
...for bathroom reading and entertainment.

Ouch! Brutal Art!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1107
I hope it didn't come out too brutal. I think it's a well known fact that S&V is more for gadget folk than for more demanding audio/video enthusiasts. I apologize if I was a bit too frank.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 1224
"Gadget folk" versus "demanding a/v enthusiasts"---I think you've really hit the nail on the head, Art.

Sometimes a little brutality is not a bad thing, LOL.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 764
This place has good reviews done well :

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/buyersguide.asp

Anonymous

I have a subscription to S&V just for light reading and for seeing what new products are coming out. The reviews they have are so lame. They rate everything good if it powers up and works. The real reviews come from the end user who has it every day in his home!
You might try: http://www.audioreview.com/defaultcrx.aspx
These reviews are a little slower in coming up with the new stuff that is out, but it gives you a good idea of the real issues products can have.

Silver Member
Username: Stu_pitt

NYC, NY Pakistan

Post Number: 239
It does give you a good idea of issues have, but the majority of the people reviewing praise what they've bought. If you read the NAD integrated amp reviews, the people say they are better than Rotel, Arcam, etc. If you read the Rotel reviews, they say their better than the NAD and Arcam stuff. The one that the reviewer bought is obviously going to be the best one, otherwise they wouldn't have bought it. It's another source that I'll refer to before I buy, but it doesn't caryy any more weight than any other review area for me. What I really use that for is looking for common things that people complain about. If there are 100 or so people using a product and a bunch of them say the same things (buzzing noises, hum, etc) I'll look at the product a little more cautiously.

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 101
Could it be, Art, Edster and Anon, that your opinions of Sound & Vision mag are colored by the fact that their philosophy vis-a-vis subjectivism seems to be virtually the opposite of those of mags like Stereophile and The Perfect Vision.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1149
No.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1153
I'm sorry Jimvm that I did not clarify my response. I just believe from reading S&V that it is a gadget rag and nothing more. Their reviews are more subjective and far less informative than the better publications. I have about 20 of them sitting on the floor next to me right now. Their "in the lab" feature is absolutely useless as they don't pay it any mind in the final analysis. They have given so many positive reviews to so many poor products that they have absolutely no credibility with anyone that I know. The audio stores that I frequent give them away because S&V keeps sending it to them in spite of multiple attempts to get them to stop. It's a rag. I do find it fun to peruse for free once a month but I wouldn't pay penny a for it.

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 251
Agreed there Art! I used to subscribe myself but no longer. When they give a Sony product a seemingly more glowing review than a HK you have to wonder what they have been smoking.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1154
LOL!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 252
Sorry Art! I meant Home Theater Mag. Another biased rag.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1155
Agreed!

Silver Member
Username: Jimvm

Louisiana U.S.A.

Post Number: 102
Art - I'm not sure what you mean by "gadget rag." I don't subscribe to any audio mags but I happen to have a couple of recent S&V mags laying around; picked one up at an audio store and the other from my son-in-law. One is the Feb/Mar edition and the other is the Apr edition. I looked back through them and found the following:

- short articles dealing with 1) production guidelines for music in surround sound; 2) HT/audio problems not caused by the gear; 3) shopping for audio gear; 4) update on DVD/Audio vs SACD; 5) home networking; and 6) the 2005 CES.

- "quick takes" on: 1) a portable XM tuner and 2) a Polk tuner.

- longer articles/evaluations regarding 1) Sharp LCD vs Samsung plasma TV's; 2) comparison of 3 CRT TV's; 3) comparison of 3 DVD player/recorders; 4) Blu-ray vs HD DVD format war; 5) common HT set-up mistakes; 6) experiences of two person who installed HT/audio in new construction houses; 7) how to set up your receiver; 8) 4 LCD projectors; 9) 3 low-cost front projectors; 10) CES showstoppers - what's hot, what's not, what's next; 11) 10 reasons why front projectors might be for you; 12) 3 on-wall speaker systems; and 13) Blue Man Group's passion for multi-channel music.

- test reports on: 1) Hitachi 42" plasma TV; 2) Sony DVD/SACD player; 3) Boston Acoustics speakers; 4) Sonos multi-zone digital music system; 5) Mirage Nanosat speakers; 6) Epson 57" rear projection TV; 7) Paradigm Cinema 110 speakers; and 8) Go Video DVD/VHS recorder.

- the usual short evaluations/recommendations regarding CD's, DVD's and games.

They also had several pages of photos and brief descriptions of new products, the overwhelming majority of were mainstream audio and video; minimal number of what I consider gadgets. I just didn't see any emphasis on "gadgets." What "gadgets" are you talking about?

Regarding their reviews being more subjective, you may be right; I don't read a lot of audio magazines. But aren't all reviews subjective? You say that they've given so many positive reviews to so many poor products that they have absolutely no credibility. Aren't the overwhelming reviews given by all audio mags generally positive? In the audio magazines I have read, admittedly not a lot, I've never read any reviews which I considered mainly negative.

There's no doubt you have much more experience in the world of audio than I have. As a relative novice, I find that Sound & Vision is straightforward, easy to read and very understandable. The products they report on and review are, for the most part, products that the majority of us can afford. There isn't an overemphasis on brands like Krell, Bryston, Linn and Meridian -- all make great products, I'm sure, but how many of us can afford them?

BTW, no apology necessary; I didn't read anything into your initial pithy reply. You've already proven yourself to be the consumate gentleman on this forum.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1161
Actually I really do have more than 20 S&V's that I picked up for free and looking through them I will stick with my original assessment of the mag.

Yes the overwhelming majority of reviews are subjective. It was this statement that caused me to reply relative to S&V.

"Could it be, Art, Edster and Anon, that your opinions of Sound & Vision mag are colored by the fact that their philosophy vis-a-vis subjectivism seems to be virtually the opposite of those of mags like Stereophile and The Perfect Vision."

You are also right that most mags give an overwhelming nod to the products they review. The difference is that S&V reviews a whole lot more garbage than the other mags do. They should have a lot more negative reviews than other mags. I have test driven many of the products they review positively and more often than not they do not hold up. And worse yet are their comparative reviews of say subs or receivers, where it is obvious that sound gets the short end of the stick compared to features.

S&V fancies themselves more of the peoples mag due to their emphasis on affordable products but in the end the consumer pays by not getting the whole story.

The good folks at S&V have made some of the more ridiculous statements I have ever read about tube amps, vinyl, and hi res formats. I could go on but I won't.

As I said I stick to my original statement. Jimvm buy "The Absolute Sound" and "The Perfect Vision" for a year so you really get a taste for what they do then see if you don't change your mind. Indeed they do review ridiculous $350,000 tube amps but they also review $200 Infinity speakers. Have a great day.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 1163
Cover of the latest S&V. Great Portables!

"ipod Killers"
"Pocket Video Players"
"ipod Essentials"
"Top Music Sites"

Nuff said!

Anonymous

sound and vision is ridiculous like almost all american magazines.I have never seen them give anything a "bad" review and even when something malfunctions in the test they still say it's worth considering purchasing(even without getting another sample to test to make sure it was an anomaly)-this is obviously because they are trying to please they're advertisers.To be honest it makes me sick!!!However I kind of like sound and vision because they publish power specs etc. with their reviews.However if you want the best reviews they are at homecinemachoice.com.hifichoice listed above is also good as well as what hifi mag(no reviews online).What hifi recently reviewed the marantz 5500 which they said much better(soundwise)than the pioneers which were previously their top rated in that price category.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us